Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Design help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
datsun74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design help

Hello,

Can anyone point me in the right direction of any post they know of that can help me with the formulas and methods for determining what type of electric engine I would need when converting a gas to electric. I seem to recall a post like that but cant find it for the life of me. It had things like how to determine watts, how to determine what esc rating based on motor etc.

thanks in advance. And i will keep looking as well.

Aaron
Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Design help

You are basically asking to condense the entire knowledge base for e-power into a simple chart. It can't be done! Thgat said, here's a quick course: Power: 70 watts/lb for training up to 150 watts per lb for extreme 3D; anymore than that -you're on your own (-: Next key do not plan on exceeding 80% of any parameter of any component (motors, esc, batt, charge, discharge. Following this rule gives you some headroom for safety and longevity of components. Next key lower KV (rpm/volts) = more torque (ie larger prop); higher kv = lower torque (ie smaller prop).

Advice bet E-calc, Motorcalc or the free online DriveCalc which are the three best performances ESTMATORS (e-power has so many variables that everything has to be checked - your best friend is a watt meter). Go to kymyers efo/ampeer and read the articles in the archives (you can do a google for Ampeer to find it). Finally read anything Dr. Kiwi, Chellie or Everyday flier post. Also look up Greg Covey's Hangar online for conversions.

You CAN learn this stuff! I am self-taught. It takes reading and a few mistakes.

Hope this helps,\
Walt
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Design help

Let's take the easy approach-
A rough aproximation can be found by looking at the EFlight electric motors which are rated 25-32 46 -60 90 110 etc..
These ratings aproximate the compable sizes of "sport" ratings on gow plug engines

NOTE I said aprox and Sport
So nuthin cut n dried .
now lets go to little setups like 1/2 A glo motors -
a 300 EFlite motor and small -450 3 cell quality batt setup at moderatate output is a starting point

If you are honestly new to:
flying
B electric power
C Modelling in general, then much of the tech info will seem like mumbo jumbo.
and some is just personal opinion and some is horshat.
So- do this
If your budget allows, get a ready to go package in the size you prefer and learn from it.
In the long tun this can be the best approach