Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

World Models CAP232-46S conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

World Models CAP232-46S conversion

Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM
b16a2sir
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models CAP232-46S conversion

I picked this 'The World Models - CAP232-46s' ARF up a couple months ago, It is almost finished, just needs battery mount figured out and access. The build was straight forward only needing to glue the wing together, the elevator and rudder in place. Tubes installed for linkages made for quick servo setup. The aileron servos mount onto a plate which mounts to the wing, leaving only the tip of the control horn exposed, a nice feature and looks great!

The motor required removing the pre-installed 'bind nuts' or t-bolts, and re-installing to match the brushless motor mount(from hobbyking). The brushless motor is a 5055 - 840kv. I have run this on 6s 3000mah with a MA 11x4 g/f prop, but think I will try a 14" prop on 3s lipo also for 3D!

for the batteries, I have cut away at the fuel tank included, and it will be the holder for the Lipo's in the intended fuel tank location, just need to make a access hatch for replacing batts, or at least charge them. I may wait until I fly it before spending the time to make a hatch.

Anyway, as it stands, here are some pics! I measured just over 500 Watts on a quick test, but the motor was reversed!!

No maiden flight time is known at the moment, But I will be sure to get it on film! (looking for a new cam at the moment)

What do you think?!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models CAP232-46S conversion

6S on that plane???!!! You will be having tons of power It ought to be more than 500W for sure. Ought to touch about 1KW at the very least with a motor of that high KV.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
b16a2sir

I use 6s becuause I have alot of 3s 3000's, and a pair of 3600's. I used this exact motor in a H9 superstick 40, and it was fun! here is a vid:

I am uploading a decent quality vid from an actual vid cam right now!!
New better quality:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOzmXLR-uY[/youtube]

Onboard:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYm7nDa5eSo[/youtube]
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
b16a2sir

Got a new prop apv pe 13x4, and re-adjusted the motor and cowl and out the spinner on. Cut a hole in the side of the fues above the wing for the batteries access. Tested once assembled and was tough to hold on at 1/2 throttle with about 775Watts!!!!! this is crazy power I think!!

I do have some 2s 5000mAh 40c on the way, so I may go 4S.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have one advice ... please dip the whole plane into epoxy if you want to go full throttle!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
b16a2sir

Well the epoxy dip may have helped my maiden.

It lasted about 45 seconds before the left aileron decided to try its own flight path, unfortunately the servo linkage held on and the aileron wasn't able to go far, however it did effect the flight of the plane I was controlling, during my second turn after the 2 clicks of trim required it went in a spin and I wasn't able to do much from 30ft up.

The damage is limited to the front 1/3 of the fuselage, which is surprisingly good all in all. But I am disappointed because this was going to be my "good" plane, everyday flyer, old reliable...

I am tossed up to fix or replace.... But she flew very smooth up to the mishap. Nice plane!