RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   GreatPlanes RV-4 Build thread as a 46 Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/10791640-greatplanes-rv-4-build-thread-46-electric.html)

T-jetracer59 10-27-2012 02:22 PM

RE: GreatPlanes RV-4 Build thread as a 46 Electric

After installing the new 60 Amp ESC and the 5 Amp UBEC , everything has been working great.  I have gotten several good 8 minute flights, still have not needed the flaps due to the ample Oklahoma winds we have been haveing.   If the wind ever dies down I will try the flaps, but this is a real floater even without them.

philakapd 11-08-2012 08:52 AM

<div style="line-height: 16.8pt; margin: 0in 0in 3pt; background: white"><span style="color: #333333; font-size: 12pt">We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share with us.You did a wonderful job showing your ideas.Thank you for all of your efforts!</span></div><div style="line-height: 16.8pt; margin: 0in 0in 3pt; background: white"></div><div style="line-height: 16.8pt; margin: 0in 0in 3pt; background: white"><span style="color: #333333; font-size: 12pt">Clear skies!</span></div><div style="line-height: 16.8pt; margin: 0in 0in 3pt; background: white"></div><div style="line-height: 16.8pt; margin: 0in 0in 3pt; background: white"><span style="color: #333333; font-size: 12pt">-PD</span></div>

T-jetracer59 11-08-2012 05:41 PM

You are welcome. I hope people get something usefull from my atempt at the build thread. I tried to share my succeses as well as my failures, I feel it is important to share both. We finally got a weekend with no wind so I was able to try the flaps, they worked very well. I tried full flaps on my first attempt, but the nose went too high for my likeing, so I aborted and tried again. This time I used half flaps to bleed off air speed, then when it slowed down to a crawl I gave it full flaps and she landed with allmost no roll. I had never used flaps before, so I need to work on my use of the flaps, but they seem to work very well. I will be building a Slow Poke this winter as an electric conversion, I will start a new build thread for it. I will have to figure out the acces hatch and how I want the front to look like, it should be another real floater. I like floaters, even though I do have a Fun Fighter Rare Bear that realy flies fast, it keeps me on my toes, but I do prefer the slower planes.</p>

blvdbuzzard 11-08-2012 06:32 PM

When I used to have a Goldberg Super Chipmunk, I would use the flaps, nose would come up about 30 to 40 degrees, plane would slow down, nose would drop a little and she would land in a 3 point stance. At first it was a little bit scary to see the plane with that nose high attitude. Yet after a dozen flights I let her fly the way she wanted to and had no problems with it stalling. It did look like she was going to drop out of the air like a rock.

Buzz.

mattnew 02-22-2013 08:46 AM

Great read, I'm in the middle of building an RV-4 myself and it was interesting to read how you went about solving some of the challenges of this kit. I'm not going for the electric conversion but nonetheless found this thread useful<div>
</div><div>, enjoy your plane!!</div>

T-jetracer59 02-22-2013 03:39 PM

i'm glad you found some usefullness from the thread. I have many flights on it now, she realy flys well. Still one of my favorite planes.