RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Converting a Great Planes Stuka to electric - Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/1613565-converting-great-planes-stuka-electric-help.html)

topher39 03-11-2004 10:07 AM

Converting a Great Planes Stuka to electric - Help

I want to convert a great planes Stuka to electric, below find the specs on the plane. I would like advice on what power plant it would take. I was hoping a Jeti Phasor 453 would do the trick - am I asking too much. I know I can get a gearbox for that motor as well but $100. more is pushing it for me - I can't spend too much and I would like to be able to have flexability to use the motor combo on other .40-.45 size applications. I don't need a screaming fast plane just scale like performance. Your input would be great.

Christopher

topher39 03-11-2004 10:08 AM

RE: Converting a Great Planes Stuka to electric - Help

Forgot to include the specs for the Great Planes Stuka:

SPECS: Wingspan: 70" (1780mm)
Wing Area: 770 sq in (49.6 sq dm)
Weight: 8 lb (3630g)
Wing Loading: 24 oz/sq ft (73 g/sq dm)
Length: 55" (1400mm)
Airfoil: Semi-Symmetrical, Low-Wing

This model will fly with a .61 glow

Matt Kirsch 03-11-2004 11:29 AM

With big brushless motors to get the power up, and LiPoly batteries to keep the weight down, the options are endless for converting ARFs.

This is a biggie. You might want to take a look at Greg Covey's Hangar 9 AT6 and F4U Corsiar conversions. Both are .60-.90 size heavy-metal warbirds and the power requirements will be similar to those of your Stuka.

P-51B 03-12-2004 02:41 PM

This aircraft was recently the subject of an electric conversion article in Model Airplane News or RCM.

It was a poor article, but it should give you a starting point.

topher39 03-12-2004 03:14 PM

Thanks, I thought I saw a blurb about an upcoming article yet to be published - do you know which pub it was and what issue - I get both magazines and I must have missed it. If it is a poor article I would rather have specifics from the Experts on RC Uiverse!

Christopher

P-51B 03-12-2004 09:06 PM

O.K., found it. It is on page 128 of the February 2004 Model Airplane News. The Hangar 9 ARF AT-6 is on the cover.

Here is the set up the author used;

Mega 22-45-3 geared 3:1
10 Panasonic 3000mAh NiMH
APC 17x10 prop
Castle Creations 80A (I am guessing he means the Phoenix 80)
Cambria Tool & Machine Super Universal Mount.

After looking at again, I guess it has the basic info. But as I am a newbie to the electric area, I would have liked better/more information such as performance and flight time on this system.