RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Guilow Super Cub Covering Question! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/2262426-guilow-super-cub-covering-question.html)

jbates21p 10-17-2004 06:38 PM

Guilow Super Cub Covering Question!

Hello All,
New to the forum and returning to the hobby after many years! Probably taking on a a way to ambitious first project, but the Idea of going R/C with the Guillows classics is far, far to irresistible, and in the last few weeks I've managed to build up two of the Super cubs, the first of which is ready for covering. Most of the kit parts had to be replaced on the first as per the expert advice of many at the local hobby shop. everything was sanded to save weight etc and a rockin' frame resulted, My plan is for the first cub to actually go free flight with an ancient but still serviceable cox .020 as it's the heavier of the two cubs(another childhood dream that never got realized), and I figure I would be a good way to check out the flying characteristics (if any) (The second is getting the super lightweight treatment - drilled formers, /32 ribs etc with an electric/ Cirrus radio package in mind)

My Question has to do with covering. I've built a few scale plastics over the years and am hell bent on tweeking this cub with a bang up paint job and keeping as much scale as possible. I plan on using the very paint-able cover-lite? (I think) synthetic Iron on - the guys at said shop seamed to like it, but none had ever painted it out of fear of two much weight being added. I'm not afraid of having a go at it with the gas version, as I figure with no radio etc the engine could pull the weight, but the electric.... - anybody have any advice tips, experience, with scale Micro sized painting techniques? I'd also like to be able to post some picks as things progress and was wondering if there was anyone in particular who is the go to guy for hosting shots! Happy flying!

jbates21p 10-17-2004 07:15 PM

RE: Guilow Super Cub Covering Question!

1 Attachment(s)
Check it! this forum great if this worked - none of that hosting nonsense - anyway couple of fuselage shots of Supercub Numero Uno!

E-Challenged 10-21-2004 12:48 PM

RE: Guilow Super Cub Covering Question!

You might be better off using colored Coverlite, it's fuel proof as is. Dope on Coverlite cracks over time.Coverlite has no adhesive. If you have not yet covered with these products, be aware that they probably won't shrink when dope dries like silkspan etc. You will need to paint the framework with Sig Sticksit or Balsarite. Then you apply the Coverlite with your sealing iron tacking it down around the edges then using a rubbing motion with the iron to pull the covering snug evenly without wrinkles. You will need to paint edges of covering to get Coverlite to stick to itself and seal down. Cover the bottom of wings then do the tops overlapping covering downward. For fuselage, do bottom, then sides then top. You can shrink coverlite a certain amount passing iron over open areas but avoid loosening seam at frame edges. You might find that covering small fuselages might be easier with reqular doped silkspan, wings and tail surfaces with Coverlite. I did this on my Guillows PT17 electric R/C conversion. Drawback is that doped tissue is easily punctured, however, it's easily patched.