RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Graupner "Mini" Show Flyer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/2345589-graupner-%22mini%22-show-flyer.html)

Rainman-ACRF 11-15-2004 06:05 AM

Graupner "Mini" Show Flyer

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd look for some feedback on a project I'm working on. Graupner have just started distributing a smaller version of their "Show Flyer" in Europe called the "Mini Show Flyer". It's a 3D model with a 1.3m span and it builds nice and light. I'm anticipating an AUW of less than 5lbs. I believe it's designed around .60 size power although the front of the firewall is cut to allow battery access through the front and they include a bracket in the kit to allow you to clamp-on a 600 size motor although I don't think I'll be using it.

I've been working through a few solutions around a cost effective way of getting this model into a fully 3D capable electric configuration based the fact that I already have a new 3S2P 5000mAh Flightpower Pro lipo pack sitting on the shelf. I could fit in an additional 3S2P in series although I'd have to buy two individual 3S1P 2500mAh packs and stack them so that they will install behind the firewall one ontop of the other and connect them to each other in parallel and then connect that "pack" in series to my existing 3S2P which will be installed in the cavity above the wing. This should give me a 6S2P 5000mAh pack capable of handling 52.5 amps continuous (cells are rated at 10.5C continuous, 14C for climb-out).

The prices of the Model Motors stuff looks pretty good and I was going to go for the following:-

AXI 4130/16
4032-3 speed controller
15x11 prop
6S2P LiPo.

I'm anticipating an AUW of around 5Lbs with batteries and I think I might get away with just installing slightly larger wheels to get the ground clearance. This config should keep current well below 40 amps which should give some nice duration.

I've not done anything electric on this scale before (mostly foamy stuff although I've been using LiPo's and brushess setups for some time). Have I missed anything? Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Phil

Matt Kirsch 11-15-2004 11:20 AM

RE: Graupner "Mini" Show Flyer

You have learned your lessons well, young padawan. :D

IMHO, that should be a great power system for that plane.

Rainman-ACRF 11-16-2004 04:01 AM

I was wondering if the 15x11 might be a bit too torquey for such a light model but I selected it as an absolute overkill solution. I can start off with something like a 13x8/9 or a 14x8/9 and go from there. I figured it would be nice to be able to start from an overpowered solution for a change and work backwards - besides I've got a 1.6m Extra 300L which, whilst quite a bit heavier, I'm sure would fly very well as a sport model on the same setup.

Phil

Matt Kirsch 11-16-2004 04:01 PM

I don't think you'll regret the extra power on a 3D model like the ShowFlyer.

Rainman-ACRF 12-20-2004 06:34 PM

Well, I couldn't get a 4130/16 and got a 4120/18 instead. I've had to add some weight to get the CofG right and it's still at 40% of the wing chord. Even with lead added it's come out at 4.8lbs.

First flights were with a 13x8 and I'm not at all disapointed. With WOT it's off the deck in about 10 feet and then just goes vertical indefinately. It's not the setup I originally intended but for this model but it appears to be extremely effective. I can still go up an inch in prop diameter and pitch without effecting things too much but I'm getting the performance I want with what it has, it will knife-edge forever. I'm very pleased indeed,

With the rearward CofG I've had to dial-in about 60% expo on the elevator as it is VERY sensitive - however, even a klutz like me can do harriers with this thing. I love it and I have no plans on doing anything more with the CofG because it makes it so outrageously fun. Water falls are easy, you just hold full elevator and blip the throttle, just like a 3D model should.

I'll try and get some pictures together and a bit of video, but with xmas coming it might take a little time until I fly again.

Later,

Phil

Greg Covey 12-22-2004 01:40 PM

Phil,

Thanks for the update. I just re-built a new Graupner ShowFlyer (normal size) and hope that your mini version will be available in the US soon.

Please post a picture if you can sometime.

Regards.

Henke Torphammar 12-22-2004 02:29 PM

is´t 4.8lb heavy for a plane this size? thinking the diablotin mini usper is the same size?! E3D banshee too? they are well over 1lb lighter. :eek:

though if it flies well the weight is of less importance.