RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Big ME-163 komet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/2370436-big-me-163-komet.html)

vtx1800 11-23-2004 08:19 PM

Big ME-163 komet

I recieved my Christmas present in the mail early. A Joe Saitta ME 163, 82" span. I have gas motors in spades but was considering a lipo set up. I would hate to hack up the cowl and have a motor sticking out.

So Im told it flies on a 90 2 or 4 stroke, some have used 108 2 strokes. The plane should weigh 91/2 to 11 lbs all up with an 82" span.
Id like at least 12 minute flights at 3/4 throttle with the ability to get some serious vertical climbs.
Do you think a folding prop is possible? Ive heard it can glide for a while.

What do you think? Thanks

stefanP 11-24-2004 04:27 PM

RE: Big ME-163 komet

vtx1800 If your new to e-power than have someone experianced help you out.With that said this was rocket powered from the factory:D So the manner of flying should be fast! On this particular plane you want 100watts per pound of aircraft weight.Shoot for the heaviest it would weigh.100 x11lbs=1100 watts .As for batteries I'm not up on lithum polymer but as Nimh cells I'd use Sanyo hrs2600 series cell.Good for high amp draw.The bad news is the cell count will be 26 [X(].Then the next thing you will need a motor that can handle 40amps continuous. So 40X31v=1'240 watts of power at take off.Once flying you will be able to throttle back.Typically the prop unloads about 15% during flight. A folding prop will be a great idea.I'd look at the Graupner line of props. Lastly remember that the power system needs to be half of the total planes weight r.t.f. Anyhow this is my thoughts.I too have this plane waiting to be built.I take it you have the fiber glass fuse kit? Good luck,stefanP

vtx1800 11-25-2004 09:17 AM

Yep I have the fiber glass fuse with this kit. Ive seen a video of one guy who used a large rocket motor and a wire guide rail for very scale like flights. It had to be going 200 mph or more on a 50degree climb. I just dont trust muself to be that quick if the plane is only a little out of trim I could have a real expensive lawn dart that cant be stopped as it tears through anything in its path.

I have a phaser 45- somthing motor and 2 lipo packs , ( I know the phasor motor is too small for the 163) Im not sure of the capacity of the packs as Dymond made them for me before I moved from san diego. The packs were the max size the motor could take and he said they should be capible of powering an equivelent of a 60 size nitromotor. I allso have a jeti 77 amp controller. I was going to use this on a scale storch ( with lots of extra capacity) . My thought was if I was to spend a bunch of money on batteries they should be capible of powering more than a 45 motor. The packs are 2 seperate packs , one plugs into the other, they are a little larger than a pack of 100's cigarette packs. I think they are at least 4s2p, They are definitly 4500 mh or more I think they are closer to 5500-6000 mh. originally he reccomended smaller packs and controller but i wanted the flexibility. he said the packs should power the motor with a 13-6-5 e apc prop for 30-35 minutes of flying.

A quick check of the wing area shows @ 1000 sq inches so the wing loading shouldn't be bad at all. This assumes the body or root gives no lift at all.

I realize my description of the equippment stinks but maybe someone with motocalc could plug it in and figure out what size batteries I have. I'd like to be able to spin a 14-6 to a 15-6 at about 9500 rpm. I could be mistaken but the phaser motor is maxed out with the 13-6 prop.

Thanks for sitting through my gibberish, with this new ( used ) house Ive had a lot of work to do and not much flying, Hopefullly as the weather changes Ill have more free time. I hate pine needles.

I do have one fella in our small club who is heavy into electrics but has no experience with lipo's. He's got some nice old timers though.

stefanP 11-25-2004 07:40 PM

vtx1800,go over to hobby lobby. then find ACTRO brushless motor's. Actro 24-4 will suit your needs and then go to Freudenthaler folding props and pick out what you need:D .The actro motors are very high quality german made motors.I seen the same video with the 163 on the train track.Also Joe Nall tape 1999 ,the first plane to be featured is a 108" version Me163:D Good luck,stefanP