RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   EXF mini 3D battery ?????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/2429286-exf-mini-3d-battery.html)

c/f 12-13-2004 12:52 PM

EXF mini 3D battery ??????

I converted my Extreme Flight mini3d from a 28oz RTF minus fuel, slimmer to E powered, trying to be mid priced since this is my favorite plane of all to own/operate I went low budget power.

I am totaly happy with flight and performance now I need duration with a battery pack. The RTF weight is currently @ 52 oz: here setup:

Cermark CEM600BL-2 w/ryd w/4.5:1 inline gearbox
Pheonix 45 controller
GP3300 NiMH 10cell pack
APC 14X10 e-prop.

I'm looking for a battery/prop combo that addresses weight/duration and current controller compatibility.

Are 4 cells an option??????

Matt Kirsch 12-13-2004 03:11 PM

RE: EXF mini 3D battery ??????

You can go straight from 10-cell NiMH to 3-cell LiPoly with no other adjustments to the system. Both have roughly the same voltage under load when properly configured, and provide similar performance.

A Thunder Power 2100 3S4P pack will give you about 2.5 times the run time. Not sure about weight, though. I think they're marginally lighter.

747drvr 12-15-2004 12:28 AM

Wow, that's one lead sled ! Mine weighs 29 oz RTF with a small outrunner and a 3s TP 2100 pack. The plane flies so well at that weight . Loops almost chew of it's own tail. I can't imagine what it flies like at twice the weight .

marc

Matt Kirsch 12-15-2004 09:48 AM

Over 20oz of that came in the form of battery. The Cermark setup is no lightweight, either, and I'll bet the plane still has standard servos in it.

The Thunder Power TP8000-3S4P will shave off about 4 ounces. Drop to a 3S3P, and you shave off 8 ounces. A 3S2P, which will still give slightly longer flying times at the same throttle levels, only weighs a little over 9 ounces. Shaving 11 ounces off the plane will make a dramatic difference in the way it flies.

747drvr 12-15-2004 01:15 PM

How is it possible to fit such a large battery pack ? Anything larger than the TP 2100 3s is a tight fit .

Marc

c/f 12-15-2004 05:15 PM

HAHAHAHA, Well first off heres the thread, You aint got nothin on me in the weight category:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1478120

The Bushinged OS just was'nt enough So I bumped up to a 25FX adding a few more ounces. However this thing was so phsyco capable I could not keep it running equaly well rightsideup/inverted, even with a bubbless fuel system. Thus the Econversion. The Cermark motor is a few oz lighter than OS25FX. I still run a full size JR PCM receiver. As I said it's an experiment in low budget, power with this combo still only needs less than 1/2 for any manuever except thrust vectoring 3D needing 2/3. with full for pullouts.

How does one get a big battery in well, I took the 10 cell GP3300 out of the sleeve and made a long stick of single cells, stuff them into a .75" ID plastic tube for fish tank aquariums. Battery pack weighs 20 oz. I then have it stuck in the bottom of fuse triangle shape from the nose to just past wing trailing edge, it comes out the front easily for removal as I made the nose bottom piece a right angle. A very wild Tail heavy C/G that WILL EAT its own tail, does a cool tumble with enertia still going forward during tumble yet it does not exhibit ANY tip stall features and lands at a snails pace. This is an awesome plane and when I decide what I really can achieve at any budget I will replace this one as the slimmer exhaust has taken it's toll on the CHINAKOTE covering. I will probably opt for an AXI outrunner then as well,..

Reason for the 20oz NImh approach was I could by 3 and kwik charge them rapid fire as compared to LiPo's but 6-8 minute flights is proving to not be worth the aggravation of multiple packs. Thus my ???? I'm leaning towards the 4400 3S PolyQuest cells Any input???? There only $159 and will transfer quite nicely to Axi outrunner use.........

747drvr 12-15-2004 06:06 PM

So , you're the guy ! Too funny ! One extreme to the other . As long as you're having fun !!:D

c/f 12-15-2004 07:06 PM

Marc,

I thought I recognized you from jets forum. I spoke with you @ Superman on the L39 Wren combo. Im the guy who just had to pick it up. That is one combo I'd love to see what possible in the weight category. With the heavy backorders it's off the chart for this upcoming season.

I'm putting together a Cermark Viper for the winter..............

747drvr 12-15-2004 09:00 PM

Yep , that's me ! I like it so much , I have another on order "just in case" !

Marc