RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Name that conversion! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/2499759-name-conversion.html)

Matt Kirsch 01-04-2005 12:59 AM

Name that conversion!

1 Attachment(s)
After the right wing panel parted company from my glow-powered Great Planes Big Stik on New Year's Day, on its maiden flight nonetheless, I was so depressed (read: inspired) that I sat down and banged this one out.

Can anyone out there name the plane I'm converting?

Clues: It's a scratch-build-from-plans design, an oldie but a goodie. Originally, it was designed for 2-channel control with a Cox .049 glow engine, but I've retrofited a PJS 550R to the tail. It's a roughly 4:1 scale (NOT 1/4 scale) model of a very popular aerobatic design.

Matt Kirsch 01-04-2005 01:15 AM

RE: Name that conversion!

1 Attachment(s)
This plane design and I go waaaay back. As a kid of about 12 or so, I reeeeeeally wanted an R/C airplane, but there was nobody in the area who did R/C, and no money to do it right anyway. Being the resourceful sort, and totally naive, I pored over the plans listings in the magazines looking for a simple plane to scratch build, that didn't require shaping too many parts, and would work with the 2-channel Airtronics set and Cox .049 engines my brother and I had managed to procure. This plane fit the bill perfectly.

The remanants of the original attempt to build this plane are still in my parent's basement. I actually got pretty far, probably at least as far as the first picture shows, which is pretty amazing considering I couldn't even LOOK at an Xacto without cutting myself open.

Back to now. That last picture was of my progress on Day #1. This is day #2.

Wazmo 01-04-2005 02:34 AM

haha, it looks like a paper airplane. That, or an Imperial Star Destroyer. :D

dmckercher 01-04-2005 08:21 AM

Where did you get the plans?

Looks great!!!

Matt Kirsch 01-04-2005 10:47 AM

I'm going to ruin the fun, but here's the answer:

It's called a "Skydart," and it's built from Model Airplane News plans. The plane itself has a sum total of ONE specially shaped part, the center rib. Everything else is sticks or sheets. That's what drew me to it in the first place.

My brother bought me the plans for Christmas, as the original set I had faded out. I'd been musing about building another one and converting it to electric. Now here it is.

Instead of the recommended .049, I'm going to run a PJS 550R on 2S or 3S LiPoly (haven't decided yet, leaning toward the 3S). Still working on the prop, too, but I will probably use one of the ones listed in the instructions for the motor. I'm shooting for at least 100 Watts, because the listed weight is 18oz, and I expect the electric version to weigh even more, even with LiPolys. It's tough to beat those little Cox .049s; they weigh almost nothing, and put out an incredible amount of power.

The biggest advantages are that mine will have throttle control, AND it'll fly more than 2 minutes.

Henke Torphammar 01-05-2005 10:52 AM

550R rocks on 3s and 8x6!! easily takes my Toro 300 EPP wing veritcal @ 20oz =)

Matt Kirsch 01-06-2005 02:09 PM

Well right now, it's got no covering, no radio, no ESC, but with servos, motor, batteries, and airframe, it's 14oz even.

Matt Kirsch 01-16-2005 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've mocked up most of the mechanics, and shy of final sanding and covering, this bird is pretty well done.

Pushrod installation:

Matt Kirsch 01-16-2005 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Servo and battery install:

Matt Kirsch 01-16-2005 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Motor and Gunther 7x6 prop installed. This might not be the final prop, but it works for mock-up.

I'm going to have to cut out a spacer to go under the motor mount to move it back another 1/8". The clearance between the prop and the trailing edges is pretty tight.

eetrapnoel 05-08-2005 06:58 PM

I know this post is about a month old, but I have to know! Did this thing actuallly fly? Thats the coolest thing I've ever seen besides the flying lawnmower. You have to let me know what happened, I'm riveted.

GWR 05-09-2005 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the weirdo plane I'm building right now.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Plans show a Cox TeeDee .051, but I'm going electric, of coarse.[sm=bananahead.gif] The photos show the pic from the box top and 2 photos of my construction.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Matt Kirsch 05-10-2005 09:36 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to work on it much. It's still pretty much as the last picture shows. :(

FLIGHTJOCKEY 05-12-2005 12:05 AM

I need some help on a prop chart for electric motors, I dont know what props to use on a 400 and 600 buushless cant seem to find one out there any help email [email protected]