RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow to Electric Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/)
-   -   Great Planes Giant Scale Super Sportster (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-electric-conversions-132/9683012-great-planes-giant-scale-super-sportster.html)

fastplane 04-23-2010 11:36 AM

Great Planes Giant Scale Super Sportster

<span style="font-size: larger;">I am considering buying a GP Giant Scale Super Sportster and may want to use electric power.
It is listed as 82" ws and 13-14.5 lbs. I am new to electric and not sure how to size the motor, esc, batteries, etc to get good performance.</span><span style="font-size: larger;">
Has this been done? What success and what equipment? There does not seem to be a good crossover chart from glow to electric.
If putting electric motor power what about cooling? Somehow need to provide cut outs air flow through plane I would imagine.
Thanks
</span>

Red Baron Gary 04-23-2010 11:53 AM

RE: Great Planes Giant Scale Super Sportster

I built a Great Planes Zlin with their recommended motor, esc and battery compliment. Flew absoulutley perfect on first and all subsequent flights.
Only varitaion I did tho was I used (and recommend) Hyperion batteries and their BC charger
The first thign I noticed on first flight (and do enjoy) is the instant throttle response and linearity of power. I like it !
Good luck,
Gary

C141FlyGuy 05-06-2010 12:39 PM

I finished my Giant Super Sportster a few months back! I love it! It is one of my favorite models to fly. I purchased the kit from a friend for $150 new in the box. It was an easy build and my first plan was to go gas with a 50cc engine. After mounting the engine I realized that I would have to cut the cowling all up to get it to mount.[:o] So I went to HK to get an estimate on going electric. I started to crunch some numbers and came up with a cost of less than $200 for the brushless motor, ESC and batteries. I couldn,t go wrong! Motor is Turnigy 63-64-A 280Kv 65A Brushless Outrunner (52-30) $40 I used a Castle creations 80 amp ESC from Radical RC $85 and for the batteries I used two 4S1P 5000 Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack $29.00 each. You can get everything from Hobby King or the motor and batteries. I need to weigh it but it is well under the reccomended weight. I made the battery hatch on the bottom just behind the fire wall. It will need four feet to take off and will fly for 10-12 min . I used the HiTec non digital high torque servo's at like $38 each. This was a budget airplane from the start with the entire cost to be less than $500. I had no problems doing it for that. I am using a Zinger 20/8 gas prop with the spinner that came with the kit. This is far from the best prop I am sure an E prop would be better but it was drawing 72 amps static. I also used the mount system that required no modification. Product ID from HK is HXT-C63-64
. Is it worth it? You bet I can't stop grinning! I don't think you will regret it.

C141FlyGuy 05-06-2010 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this helps out! Keep me posted.

C141FlyGuy 05-06-2010 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Me with the GSS just prior to test flight.

fastplane 05-06-2010 01:38 PM

Thanks for the good info. That sounds good. Going electric certainly concerns me about the safety and overall cost. Thanks for the actual parts you used.
Looks like 2-3 sets of batteries would allow more than 1 flight before charging.

C141FlyGuy 05-06-2010 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pictures with cowling removed.

C141FlyGuy 05-06-2010 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Balancing with the 2 pacs of 4s 5000 Turnigy and a close up of the mount. As you can see nothing complex.

AmishWarlord 02-15-2011 04:37 PM

Hey C141 how is that 63-64-A 280Kv motor holding up? I'm thinking about buying a pair of them for a twin.

landingiseasy 08-03-2017 05:54 PM

Pictures of your hatch?