proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tower Engines Gone?

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Maybe you can explain what he meant....

I have several Tower engines...
I am interested in this thread...

Reading posts that have absolutely nothing to do with Tower engines is what bugs me...you guys went round and round (ad-nauseum ) in that other forum...we don't need a continuation of that here...thank you.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to even breathe life into this discussion but I can't help myself well enough to resist.

I haven't posted here as often as a lot of people as is evident in the number of posts I've made for the time I've been registered.

In that time I would have to admit that I have been wrong and corrected about things and had to apologise.

I've been offended and misunderstood and misunderstood other people's comments and humor as well.

I have made friends like W8YE who count among the most admired people I've known. I have shared and traded with him and been educated and advised by him many times. I have never met him in person and I don't think he has ever even seen a picture of me in 7 or 8 years of friendship.

I have always figured if I have been misunderstood or offended and vise versa do to differences in personality or communication styles I could assume the huge melting pot of the Internet was the obvious cause. Simply put "One little world and all these friggin' people."

I have several scars on my knuckles, a crooked nose and my eyebrows will split open if you just stare at them hard enough from times when I felt forced to prove my point or defend myself.

I just can't see any justification to attack or be critical of a stranger on the Interenet when it is so easy to simply ignore or avoid them or just enjoy the diversity.

No I'm not a preacher...Take care, Cliff

Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Some folks hated usenet (newsgroups) because anyone could post anything in an unmoderated group. They wanted everything to be pleasant, cheery with no insults, profanity, etc. Their complaints to their ISP's were all the excuse that the big ISP's needed to end carrying newsgroups. Our last place in the world where we could speak our minds as we pleased has nearly disappeared. All because of a few whiners.

Why is this important? Look at the economy. Look at how our government is ignoring the constitution. Look at how our rights are being taken away. Where, but the newsgroups, could we citizens coordinate a peaceful revolutionary movement to bring things back to the constitution? It is now gone, for all practical purposes.

We not only have the right to peaceful revolution, but we have the obligation to throw out any government that goes contrary to the US Constitution, such as the last several presidents and their administrations have been. Now, how can We The People coordinate our actions?

Folks don't think, these days. They are what other folks call sheeple. Now, when the 20 to 30% credit card interest rates make it impossible for some of your creditors to be paid, go look in the mirror and see the person that is at fault.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I don't know if you guys (Cliff and Ed ) are referring to my post or not...but...to potentially further thread drift let me explain my comments.

I have, and know several people who have Tower engines...
It will be interesting to see if the Aquacraft sleeve / piston assy. will work (my bet is it will ) in the Tower .46
I have a couple .75's as well, and wonder about parts availability.

Don't know how many of you also visit the Engines forum in R C G but there was an on going feud between B-W and K.
It kept escalating...day by day (over a period of months ) to the point where, on just about every other thread there were wise a** comments, snide remarks, constant bickering, etc. etc. ad-nauseum...and it got to the point where the Engines forum there was a [:'(] and [:@] place to visit...

IMO we don't need repeat performances of that...(I can see it starting all over again )

There's room in this world, and even here in RCU for us all...and room for divergent opinions...but not personal vendettas...

Individually, B-W and K. are cool guys...and contribute greatly to the forums (thank you, gentlemen ) but "put 'em together in the same room" so to speak, and...well...

That's all...I'm off the soap box...thanks for your time.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I guess one of us moderators should say something witty and clever to make everyone happy again......maybe the other guys will do it instead of me.......

Ed, Usenet & usergroups?? That goes back with Fidonet and then the BBS days. Look how far we've come from 300 baud modems.

Everyone else- it looks like everyone has vented and had their say. I don't see why we can't get back to the Tower engines mystery now. Please, no last words. I think the last word has already been gotten by everybody. Just PM me if you want to say more.

Cliff, W8YE lived down here for a few years and my best flying memories are us sitting in chairs doing touch and gos right before sunset. It sounds boring to some, but it was extremely relaxing in the good air.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 AM
jeffie8696

I for one am sad to see GMS/Tower engines fall by the wayside. I had a 32 and thought it was a wonderful little engine. I wish I had not sold it.
Luckily I have Aviastar engines to supply my 46,53 and 2.0 glow engine needs.

On another note, Just in Time manufacturing works and saves money but your supply flow needs to be consistent.
I am trained in Kaisen, the Toyota Rapid Continuous Improvement program and it works.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
CLBetten

Just recieved the liners today and they fit fine. Everything appears to be identical except the boost and transfer ports are cut at a little sharper angle which makes them appear smalller when viewed at a 90 degree angle. I can't see that making a bit of difference though.

Oddly the price went up $8.00 on them, go figure?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You bought some and changed the running average demand?

You also let the cat out of the bag that they fit. I bet they are gone by Tuesday

Glad you got the engines going one more time
Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You bought some and changed the running average demand?

You also let the cat out of the bag that they fit. I bet they are gone by Tuesday

Glad you got the engines going one more time
Let the cat out of the bag!!! You guys keeping secrets! Who are you all! I though that by the post notice we are operating under this and I paraphrase 'We encourage the free flow of your ideas,'

Finding alternate part sounds like an idea worthy of free flow!

What am I missing?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
w8ye

Konrad, you are on the opening fringes of technology on RCUniverse. Look what you just learned that you didn't already know!

You heard about it the moment the discovery was made right here.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Konrad
Banned

Your post came across as you knew the make up (had the cat in the bag). And that CLBetten had spilled the secret letting the cat out of the bag.
I surely hope I'm just chasing another one of my conspiracy theories and that there is no real suppression of ideas.

All the best
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
CLBetten

By the time I wear these out again hopefully I'll be tired of them. I guess I am just a little different than a lot of people. When I find something I like I stick with it. I wouldn't have realized I have been running the crap out of these for seven years if W8YE hadn't reminded me. Generally people seem to migrate toward the newest "In" thing. Maybe I'ts because I am cheap but I also think we should focus a little less on discarding items and then finding a new use for them as recycled material and have more rebuildable and repairable things instaed of disposable. Remember when people used to sharpen scissors and refill and change the flint in their lighters etc. and craftsment were employed to build things to last and repair them and took pride in building and owning them?

Wait a minute...now you guys are just pickin' on me.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
w8ye

The Tower 46 has not been superseded just yet. It is still on the precipice of technology. It has only been around for 12 yrs
Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 PM
w8ye

Original: Konrad
conspiracy theories
You are the one that said this
Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
CLBetten

The direct and rapid reflection of price by demand would explain why I can't afford to just replace them with new O.S. AX series L.O.L.
Let's be fair though, price was what made Tower and GMS engines attractive in the beginning wasn't it?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 PM
w8ye

Very true
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Konrad
Banned

Yep. You and I appear to have trust issues with regard to motives and agendas, as observed by our posts. That is why I used that term. I have no proof of your motives.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
jeffie8696

Perhaps we can assemble a list of parts from different manufacturers that interchange. Konrad , since you have a large knowledge base on all things glow could you start a spreadsheet or something showing us what parts will swap?
Iwill get us started. Early Irvine 40 bolt on muffler will also fit an MVVS40 GFSR.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks,

But as stated the scope is too large. Besides the liability would be astronomical. Can you imagine the grief I'd get for an error! I don't see how I'd benefit from such a task. Thanks , but I'll stay away from that land mine!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: CLBetten

The direct and rapid reflection of price by demand would explain why I can't afford to just replace them with new O.S. AX series L.O.L.
Let's be fair though, price was what made Tower and GMS engines attractive in the beginning wasn't it?
I was attracted by the choice of materials used! These engine have much greater potential than the OS you mention! (They are a much better engine kit than the OS!)

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM
93octane
My Feedback: (9)

I too have several tower and GMS engines ...They are ..GMS 120.. 2 Tower 75s...and a tower 61...all of which..have always run great with minor probs..and i'm a little sad also that parts may not be available for them...they ARE really good engines regardless of what some may say.........[&o]
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM
w8ye

The Tower 75 is a true classic of all time
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
CLBetten

Price may have been the early attraction but I think the longevity and performance held their fan's favor in the long run. Besides the two .46's I have a .61 that I bought at a swap meet N.I.B for $25.00 a on a Bruce Tharpe Vortex and a GMS .61 Dykes ringed version (I think I got that from W8YE also?) that has been on a couple of diffent planes and they all have been wonderful engines. At least I can get new rings from Frank Bowman for that one but obviously he isn't going to be in business forever either.

I remember the first plane I saw flying with a Tower .75 I was impressed by it right away. The fellow was an accomplished aerobatic pilot and the way it ran drew the attention of a few club members. They were also impressed and asked about it, as soon as he said it was a Tower engine they were all turned off by it. I thought at the time they lost interest because It had to be "brand name" to be acceptable.

Did the early Tower .40 engine made by I think Thunder Tiger have a reputation that the GMS engines had to overcome? Personally I owned one (maybe from W8YE) that was no power house but it was light, simple and every bit as good as the O.S. FP it was cloned from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.