Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

About O.S #8 plugs!

Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: About O.S #8 plugs!

I have had a very similiar case maybe 5 years ago.An ASP 52 of a friend was constantly stopping after a time in flying.I insist him to change OS 8 plug with a hotter one,at last he agreed and after changing firstly a Fox idle bar plug and then with an OS A3 plug that stopping problem instantly went off.Notice that an idle bar plug also is the answer too.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of you know what I think about the OS #8...

Too short a reach; too short a life.

Never liked them very much and apparently never will.

But some others (probably not very wise people...) seem to see them as a solution to every problem - they will soon see disappointment.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

But some others (probably not very wise people...) seem to see them as a solution to every problem - they will soon see disappointment.
I concur with the above quote!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Says the man that sells MVVS, Jett and Rossi engines.......[:'(]

Companies may answer within ongoing threads whether providing direct answers to questions about their products & support or adding pertinent product information such as specs, photos or videos for example.

Companies will refrain from posting in threads of their competitors where the subject contains another companies name or product in it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PFTZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM
TimBle

the #8 OS plug is not really suited to rich running. For 90% of modellers the #6 or #7 plug is much better.I find the #8 works well in hot engines running at high specific output. These would be the engines that are refered to as bored out e.g., the 55AX which is a bored out 46, or the 75AX which is a bored out 60. Under stressed engines work better with hotter plugs
Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Says the man that sells MVVS, Jett and Rossi engines.......
True, BW.

...But I usually give endlessly more importance to what has been said, than to who it was that said it.

Do you think what I wrote is not truthful, or that it is baseless?

And, BW, I did not start this thread; nor do I really have anything to gain from it.

I think the person who did and everyone else who contributed to this thread, actually have nothing to gain from bashing the OS #8 plug...
They are merely telling of their own experience with it. It seems no-one yet has stepped-up to its defense.

I personally did think of the OS #8 as an exceptional glow-plug, albeit too expensive (that was the one reason I did not like it) . I no longer think of it as exceptional.
There are much better glow-plugs available, that actually fit your engine; and many of them for less cash to boot.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:21 AM
Konrad
Banned

BW,
What the man sells does not negate the truth.

The OS plugs are too short! OS did not respect the industry standards for long and short reach glow plugs. Therefore they don't fit most other engine makes that do respect the standard for a long reach glow plug.

We engine designers have spent a lot of energy fitting the glow element to the combustion chamber. It does yield very favorable results to have a properly fitted glow plug (element).

As for durability all you need to do is time it. In a high performance set up (like a pipe) the time is measured in minutes (less than an hour) in most cases.

So in an OS head the glow plug might be more suitable as it might fit the (non long) chamber. Also the rather low compression ratio of most OS engines might contribute to a longer life for the anemic OS #8 glow plug. I assume that as a system the OS engine and glow plug might perform better than they might if looked at as separate components.

The truth found through hard analysis is still the truth no matter how hard one wishes it to be otherwise!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Konrad

The OS plugs are too short! OS did not respect the industry standards for long and short reach glow plugs. Therefore they don't fit most other engine makes that do respect the standard for a long reach glow plug.

We engine designers have spent a lot of energy fitting the glow element to the combustion chamber. It does yield very favorable results to have a properly fitted glow plug (element).
Konrad,

OS 'mid-length' glow-plugs don't even fit properly into engines made by.... OS!

OS engines .32 and larger, have heads that are designed for 'Long' glow-plugs.
The depth of the threads is full length; and the OS #8 remains recessed in the combustion chamber, when installed into them.

OS does respect the industry standard for long-reach and short-reach plugs... It is only their glow-plug division that does not.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Broken Wings

You guys need to get your stories straight....your information is conflicting.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM
downunder

I've posted this photo before but here it is again . This is the head from an OS 40VF with a long reach plug on the left (about half a thread proud) and an OS plug on the right. My preference would be for the long reach plug. Enya plugs are the same length as OS but have a reputation for great reliability.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64421.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1526042  
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: downunder

I've posted this photo before but here it is again . This is the head from an OS 40VF with a long reach plug on the left (about half a thread proud) and an OS plug on the right. My preference would be for the long reach plug. Enya plugs are the same length as OS but have a reputation for great reliability.
I guess no-one has given any thought as to why the OS plugs are the length they are.

A medium length can be shimmed up or down if you "feel the need"... Five minutes, a flat surface and a scrap of wet/dry sand paper will reduce the thickness of a soft copper glow plug washer to any thickness you may require.

A short plug can't be stretched.

The long plug (as shown) is proud. I guess you could stack a couple washers and get the required height if it's that important to you.

A medium length....One plug that could be used for either short or long reach engines and still work. No need to buy different lengths....

There are those that continually bash a product for whatever reasons. Real World results prove them wrong time and time again. I've never had any problems using OS products whether it's the engines they manufacture or the glow plugs that they supply with them.

RC Universe has a "User Review" section that continually show these "Real World" results.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61871.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1526068  
Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Konrad
Banned

Konrad,

OS 'mid-length' glow-plugs don't even fit properly into engines made by.... OS!

OS engines .32 and larger, have heads that are designed for 'Long' glow-plugs.
The depth of the threads is full length; and the OS #8 remains recessed in the combustion chamber, when installed into them.

OS does respect the industry standard for long-reach and short-reach plugs... It is only their glow-plug division that does not.
Thanks, This confirms what I have said for a long time about OS's engineering. In this case their parts don't even fit within their own product line.
In the real world of high performance the OS plug ( for the most part) is a weak sister, both for performance and durability. One of the best 1/4 x 32 glow plugs I used was the OPS 300. Now that glow plug fit and could withstand the rigors of a 20K+ rpm ducted fan engine
Old 10-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Konrad
Banned

Is there a known reason for this mid length plug be it Enya of OS? I can't say as I ever investigated the Enya glow plug much.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Broken Wings

Is there a known reason for this mid length plug be it Enya of OS? I can't say as I ever investigated the Enya glow plug much.
And there you have it.....

Where do you buy the OPS 300 glow plugs?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 AM
DarZeelon

BW,

An extra plug-washer will generally not do it.
Using two washers is generally not recommended and could be more succeptible to leaking.

It is also. probably too thick, to take up 1/64" of thread (one-half a thread, as Brian wrote) of the long plug.

I agree with Brian on the very high quality of Enya glow-plugs... Too bad they are also mid-length, making them less suitable for larger engines (but OK for smaller ones).
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Konrad
Banned

I guess no-one has given any thought as to why the OS plugs are the length they are.

A medium length can be shimmed up or down if you ''feel the need''... Five minutes, a flat surface and a scrap of wet/dry sand paper will reduce the thickness of a soft copper glow plug washer to any thickness you may require.

The long plug (as shown) is proud. I guess you could stack a couple washers and get the required height if it's that important to you.

A medium length....One plug that could be used for either short or long reach engines and still work. No need to buy different lengths....

There are those that continually bash a product for whatever reasons. Real World results prove them wrong time and time again. I've never had any problems using OS products whether it's the engines they manufacture or the glow plugs that they supply with them.

RC Universe has a ''User Review'' section that continually show these ''Real World'' results.

OS has never made the claim that the seal washer was to be lapped to fit the head. Besides this activity is way beyond the scope of most sport flier in the real world. Heck many sport fliers cant even select the proper heat range! What you describe is squarely in the range of the performance enthusiast. This is by your post history outside the scope of real world experience.

Your value in the "User Review" is slightly misplaced. Most user have no idea as the nuances of the product they are using. As such they are not the most qualified to evaluate them. The sport flier is usually only interested in what works. The performance enthusiast is interested in what it takes to make a system perform to its optimum potential. It is this span in performance that you seem to not grasp. My critique of product is not in anyway a bash against them. But rather an attempt to bring the weakness of the design to light. Once these weaknesses are known a work around can often be applied. Now some times I will also make note of the design strengths.

It is the constant glowing reviews in the dead tree media that has killed it as a source of credible critiques on products. The ad dollars are just too strong. Here on the internet one can find real critiques. I hope that I give ample and accurate reasons for the positions I take on any number of product I critique that anybody can get a better appreciation for this fine hobby.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Broken Wings

BW,

An extra plug-washer will generally not do it.
Using two washers is generally not recommended and could be more succeptible to leaking.

It is also. probably too thick, to take up 1/64'' of thread (one-half a thread, as Brian wrote) of the long plug.

I agree with Brian on the very high quality of Enya glow-plugs... Too bad they are also mid-length, making them less suitable for larger engines (but OK for smaller ones).
All the more reason to use a medium length plug and adjust the thickness of the sealing washer.....

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Broken Wings

A medium length can be shimmed up or down if you ''feel the need''... Five minutes, a flat surface and a scrap of wet/dry sand paper will reduce the thickness of a soft copper glow plug washer to any thickness you may require.

RC Universe has a ''User Review'' section that continually show these ''Real World'' results.

OS has never made the claim that the seal washer was to be lapped to fit the head. Besides this activity is way beyond the scope of most sport flier in the real world. Heck many sport fliers cant even select the proper heat range! What you describe is squarely in the range of the performance enthusiast. This is by your post history outside the scope of real world experience.

Your value in the ''User Review'' is slightly misplaced. Most user have no idea as the nuances of the product they are using. As such they are not the most qualified to evaluate them. The sport flier is usually only interested in what works. The performance enthusiast is interested in what it takes to make a system perform to its optimum potential. It is this span in performance that you seem to not grasp. My critique of product is not in anyway a bash against them. But rather an attempt to bring the weakness of the design to light. Once these weaknesses are known a work around can often be applied. Now some times I will also make note of the design strengths.

It is the constant glowing reviews in the dead tree media that has killed it as a source of credible critiques on products. The ad dollars are just too strong. Here on the internet one can find real critiques. I hope that I give ample and accurate reasons for the positions I take on any number of product I critique that anybody can get a better appreciation for this fine hobby.
Uh huh......
Old 10-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Konrad
Banned

And there you have it.....

Where do you buy the OPS 300 glow plugs?
Have what, that the Enya plug is superior to the OS? I think those that know engines for the most part would agree.

The fact that a product is difficult it obtain does not mean that its competition is the best. We the public need to demand quality products. If we don't we end up with mediocrity. And so many posts from the apologists for this mediocrity.

To recap nobody is saying that the OS #8 doesn't work. Just that it doesn't work as well as it should! And there are some reasons given for this.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
SeamusG

Things that I learned … thx Hooked-on-RC-Airplanes.com

RC glow plugs control the timing where ignition occurs. The goal is to have the air/fuel mixture ignite just prior to TDC.

Methanol is critical to the ignition process. The chemical reaction between the fuel’s methanol and the plug’s platinum filament with a catalyst of cylinder pressure keeps the filament hot. To control the timing of our engine you must have the correct RC glow plug that corresponds to the methanol content in your fuel. If your fuel has a higher methanol concentration (less oil and nitro) you will want a glow plug that will react “less” to the methane during the catalytic reaction in order to have the coils of the plug to produce the necessary heat to reach ignition temperature at the correct time. Plugs that react “less” to the methane are called “cold” plugs. “Hot” plugs react more with the methane causing the plug to get hotter more quickly. In a nut shell, higher nitro fuels require colder plugs. And vice versa.

Note:

· Higher cylinder pressure will result in a greater reaction between the methanol and platinum and will result in a hotter the plug filament igniting fuel earlier in the cycle.

· Fuel with less methanol (more oil and nitro) will result in later ignition and fuel with more methanol (less oil and nitro) will result in earlier ignition.

· Rich air/fuel mixture will result in later ignition and a lean mixture will result in earlier ignition.

· With everything else equal a “hot” plug will ignite the mixture earlier in the cycle and a “cold” plug will ignite the mixture later.

Big issue is determining when ignition is early or late … If the engine speed decreases significantly when the glow driver is removed you could have a bad glow plug. If you are absolutely sure the glow plug is good, you may want to switch to a hotter plug or switch to a fuel with more nitro (less methanol). If the coils of the glow plug continuously fail or break over and over then you may consider changing to a colder plug. If the engine seems to backfire constantly, you may want to change to a cooler plug or switch to a fuel with less nitro (more methanol). Again, unless you have a legitimate reason, stick with the glow plug that comes with the engine.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I just use F in everything to keep from having problems.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Broken Wings

Your value in the ''User Review'' is slightly misplaced. Most user have no idea as the nuances of the product they are using. As such they are not the most qualified to evaluate them. The sport flier is usually only interested in what works. The performance enthusiast is interested in what it takes to make a system perform to its optimum potential. It is this span in performance that you seem to not grasp. My critique of product is not in anyway a bash against them. But rather an attempt to bring the weakness of the design to light. Once these weaknesses are known a work around can often be applied. Now some times I will also make note of the design strengths.

"Beyond the scope of most "Sport Flyer" in the real world" ..... Yea, we're all just a bunch of Mooks, Only the words that you type mean anything....
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Konrad
Banned

I'd have to agree with much of what you posted. Now flame propagation is a concern. This is why the fit of the glow plug is important. It is why one should not use an idle bar glow plug in a schnuerle ported engine, well only as a last ditch attempt. (The power a schnuerle ported engine has over a baffle can be traced to the smooth combustion chamber.)

In your case running a 5K feet of altitude it would be a benefit to experiment with chamber volume and glow plug heat ranges. I for one don't see anything magical in using the OEM's glow plug. For the most part these are just over priced. Now the Fox brand is usually price fairly and perform adequately for the sport pilot. I also don't change nitro content in my fuel. I find that making a new combustion chamber is cheaper and in fact often results in more power (the best of both worlds).
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Konrad
Banned

''Beyond the scope of most ''Sport Flyer'' in the real world'' ..... Yea, we're all just a bunch of Mooks, Only the words that you type mean anything....
You said that not I.

The sport pilot is the back bone of this hobby and of the clubs that support this great activity. It is your words that lack credibility, with statements that technically back up your position. If you make a statement please try to give technical reasons for your position. We the reading public can then determine if your case is stronger than your opponents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.