Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange sound

No, going all the way back to the big head Saito 1.20 has aluminum seats so does the Saito 1.50 I saw that in the SEM and with the naked eye. Both of my twin DP300s also have aluminum seats

My smaller 40 45 65 an 72 all have brass valve seats. My 1.30 twin has bass seats.

Saito air pours his castings and is willing to take the hit with porosity formation. Now should a head and cylinder get past QA Saito is very fast at correcting the problem
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 120S and the Saito 150S as well as the 300T have aluminum seats

The old original 120 had brass seats (The one with the big head)

All Saito 72's have aluminum seats

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Konrad
Banned

Not the 1983 model. I ported mine, cut the case 1mm to up the CR and reground the cam. I was nose to seat trying to get the performance of that original broom stick cammed Saito to match the performance of the great Enya R1.20.

Its aluminum!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:52 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I've found that all-castor is OK for engines running full-bore 90% of the time, but my 4-strokes are normally run below 50% throttle and don't run well with much castor. My heli engines don't tolerate castor beyond a couple percent in the mix. Having a well-maintained motor isn't of much use when the heli it's in is on its side due to the engine bogging at a crucial moment. [X(]
Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 AM
w8ye

I've never seen a Saito in a Heli?

with their torque, they should work well?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Konrad
Banned

Sounds more like a tuning issue. Are you thinking that you are actually burning the synthetic oil? Why would castor oil foul your plug any more than synthetic?

Now my helis tend to over heat without castor oil rather than have a throttle responce issue. I also tried a Saito 45 as a substitute for an OS 28 in a Hirobo Shuttle. As the Saito had an automixture carb the heli flew ok for a dual flapping head heli. I couldn't fly helis at the time so I had to observe from the side lines. I thought the power was less but she did not over heat. Again this was at 5K to 6K feet of altitude

Due to the lower rpm potintial of the 4 cycle engine 12K verse 17K rpm we used longer blade (about 30mm) and more pitch. I was carving wooden blade on a drill press with a drum sander It took in about an hour to form a set of balanced blades.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Konrad
What?
I was commenting on castor verses synthetic. What does engine brand have to do with it? Now some engines have silicone components that one needs to be aware of.

What engines am I discussing and what is my stance on those engines. If I make a claim or statement I usually support it in the text of the post. So what is your issue with what I've post in this thread?

P.S.
No I haven't had the chance to look at this mystical form ''User Reviews''. Can you post a link?

This thread was originally focussed on problems with the OP's Saito 1.25.

There is some good stuff in these "mystical" User Reviews. Don't knock em until you've given them a look.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Rudolph Hart

Was going to try and fly one last year if i could bolt the zuess goose into it.They said heli's already vibrate to much and shed parts with ease,so the 220 is still on the bench.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Konrad
Banned

BLW,
Yes, this did get way off topic.

I was not knocking the form. Just indicating that I could not find it looking for it here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_463/tt.htm
That and the history with the poster lead me to use the term "mystical". Mythical might have been a better word.

I'm sure there is some good data. But as with all that is posted on the web that is not subjected to peer review, one must work hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Cornduster

I have the exact sameproblem with my Saito 125. The sound started shortly after initial break in. I probably had about one gallon through it. I rechecked the valves and they were good. I also lubricated the rockers and push rods again. I flew it several more times with good results but that sound came back shortly after that. I started pumping automatic transmission fluid into the crank case vent after every flight and that sound has not returned. The engine seems to be running fine ever since and I have been flying on a regular basis all summer.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
blw

Konrad-

What do you mean about it flying okay for an articulated system?

Either way, 'mystical' or 'mythical' are inappropriate terms for the reviews. I've heard of peer reviews in the scientific and medical world, but not model airplane engines. Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight here. The review comments hold just as much validity as any you would make yourself. Many RCU reviewers put a lot of effort into their work.

Cornduster,

The 125 is great engine. Some are known to be pounders until you get them broken in and leaned out. Others are pretty smooth from the beginning. Mine is the first version. It won't tolerate poor tuning.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
w8ye

I have five Saitio 125's and they have all been trouble free but it takes a few gallons to get one fully limbered up. Three are glow and two are gas.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Konrad
Banned

You got me on the articulated system. Where did I use that term? (Could it be some spell checker helping with the term antiquated?)

Yes, my views are no more important than those of others. Now some of us have a deeper understanding and can critique system interaction and failures better than others. For example; I have seen many folks claim radio failure when they crash. But when viewed by others the plane is in a full stall with the radio sticks in the corner. So what I'm saying is that the public might not be the "best" source. One needs to look at the criteria used in making the assessment (review).
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Coming back to topic.Selnekav, you said the sucking noise happens after leaving the engine running for a while at idle.OK, it could be oil trapped in your breather tube or you're running the idle a bit rich causing residual fuel in the carb thus making the sucking noise. I would explore that first before i strip the engine.If the bearing is shot, it would be noisy at the start to finish of the engine run.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

BTW saitos are nice but they are rust buckets.you need to flush them out when you don't fly often or put in lots of after run oil. i got tired of changing bearings that i switched to ceramics long ago. i flush my engines regularly as i am very particular about how my engine looks inside and out.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Call me crazy i always worry about the sound saitos make,they bark nice and right now i have one making a sound not heard before.It's not so much harmonic or piston/crank/cam gear speed but random and regular,crank touching the plastic backplate under throttle?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM
w8ye

If one of the bearings get slightly worn, the rod hits the bottom of the crankcase
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
blw

I should change my comment about tolerating poor tuning on my only 125. It didn't like being too rich during break in. It is pretty good now and it takes a bit to get the slightest of backfires.

Dual flapping = articulated
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Konrad
Banned

Off topic. But the old blue head (canopy) Shuttle did not use a single piece feathering spindle. But rather used two independent feathering spindles. This allowed the each individual blade to flap individually. The single feathering spindle performed much better.

So in this thread I did not use the term articulated, correct?
We should take this off line. PM if you still have questions
Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM
blw

ORIGINAL: Konrad

PM if you still have questions
PM sent.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Konrad
Banned

That might be so.
But the old Shuttle was a dual flapping head.
It is more accurately called a dual dampened flapping (DDF) head. I'll give you that.

All the best
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Call me crazy i always worry about the sound saitos make,they bark nice and right now i have one making a sound not heard before.It's not so much harmonic or piston/crank/cam gear speed but random and regular,crank touching the plastic backplate under throttle?
replaced the originals with some stainless ones about to flying hours ago and i can't rock the prop plus did'nt describe the sound well but said to a flying friend that i thought i was going to lose an engine.I can't describe the sound so will fly it till it goes bang and have a look.Performance is good.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Cornduster

This morning a flying friend of mine brought a new Saito 115 to the field, it has about eight tanks of fuel through it. During mid flight it began tomakethe horrible soundmy Saito 125 made when I was breaking it in. He was disgusted, pulled the motor and shipped it back to the factory this afternoon. We areboth anxious to hear what Saito has to say about the problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
w8ye

Probably bad bearings?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 AM
selnekav

Update :
last week i pumped 50 cc oil into the crankcase, and then i put the airplane on it nose so the oil will pass the rear bearing into the camgear.
then yestrday i start it, and the noise disappear.... i was ablwe to fly few times i hope it will stay like that.

thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.