Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

hoernlein profi

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hoernlein profi

They have those? Can you link to a white paper on the subject? I'd like to read up on it some more.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Konrad

What is that? I've never seen one!
It's an electric motor, with an electronic speed control.
What type and brand?
I thought that an electric motor only needed 2 wires to run. What is that third wire for ?

Edited
Thanks BW
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your old reliable.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor
Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

It's an electric motor, with an electronic speed control.
What type and brand?
I thought that an electric motoe only needed 2 wires to run. What is that third wire for ?
You're correct, motoe only use two wires
Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: w8ye

And you tell us you've only flown electric for the last decade?
Over to 2 decades. But I've never seen the set up posted.
Besides the last 3 phase DC motor I've seen is one rated at over 112KW. Boeing is using these a lot now. Come to think of it I haven't seen a lowly two cycle engine in an Boeing or Airbus
Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG!!.......same thing, different channel, but the names remain the same.......eh BW?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
summerwind

2 strokes have nothing to do with jets, nor do jets have anything to do with this topic.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks for noticing. I agree this has got to stop! Even the moderator are getting into the roll!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Konrad
Banned

That was pushing it. But no more silly than the posting of the electric motor in this thread!
I had asked that the moderators take care of that irrelevant post

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: summerwind

it's a schnuerle wound motor..............
Summerwind,
How intelligent was this post?

Those that live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's stay on the topic of the hoernlein profi
Old 10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
summerwind

here is a Profi powered plane,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM3nL...eature=related
Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM
summerwind

Thanks! That for sure is not the standard Cox radial porting. Is that the correct term? I'm now curious about the time line. Is the Profi based on the Cox or is the Cox based on the Profi?

All the best,

Konrad
actually that is the stock Cox porting for this engine, although, it wasn't called schnuerle ported.
best prop on it was an 8x4 Cox Grey prop.
we ran these to thrust 450sq inch Free Flight models up into the thermals for class A.
problem was they did not last as long as the Cox Special which was before the MK2.......but then again, it was that time period that Cox's of all sizes were a crap shoot to get the ones that screamed vs the ones that became wallflowers. we ran 'em hard.

the Profi is a strong engine for it's time, and rivals several late 70's engines in it's class.
I was not questioning the origins of the Cox porting shown, I know it was stock. My point was that it was not the standard ''radial'' porting we see in the Cox Tee Dee (from the 0.010 to the 0.090). Nomenclature aside the porting is a modified form of the schnuerle port. (The original patent described just two inlet ports in the sleeve.)

Yes, I'm sure the Profi could out run some baffle engines of the time, early 70's (73). But by the time I saw them late 70's (77) they were just also rans.
you sure you saw the Profis in 1970?
http://modelenginecollecting.com/Eng...les/Profi.html
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Konrad
Banned

I think I said I first saw them around 1977 (Late 70's). Not late in 1970 (i.e., November). As they did not make too much of an impression I can't say for certain.

P.S.
I'd like to add my thanks for the deletion of the erroneous posts!
Thanks,

All the best

Konrad

Edit:
to add the missing "not"
Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: [Deleted]

I wish the background music wasn't there so you could hear the engine. Otherwise, good video.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Mr Cox

The engine in the video is a totally different engine?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Konrad
Banned

here is a Profi powered plane,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM3nL...eature=related
The MB40 now that's an engine, a full race FAI F3D Pylon engine! You did notice that it was on the pipe from take off? Now the MB uses what we affectionately call tea cup ports.

You really got a love FAI F3D engines!!!

And that was done with NO nitro!

Thanks for the wrong link!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

The engine in the video is a totally different engine?
i know that, it was posted for amusement..................i didn't think anyone that was paying attention would post back about it.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I was just paying attention to the engine sound and the speed.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Konrad
Banned

that was adding confusion about the engines and the time line.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: blw

I was just paying attention to the engine sound and the speed.
ZACTLY.............it's was funny to find a vid with another engine called "Profi"............i've had it bookmarked for quite some time.
i had another one with the engine in this topic, but unfortunately it isn't there anymore.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Konrad
Banned

"Profi" means professional or high end. It is not too surprising to see it in the name of a lot of products
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Broken Wings

Reference;

http://www.modelenginecollecting.com...les/Profi.html

This Manufacturers Profile was supplied by David R. Janson and was taken from his book on compiling a number of these stories.

No. 20 in a continuing series by David R. Janson, SAM 273

The German Johannes Graupner Corp. is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of electric model kits and all related paraphernalia. The Hobby Lobby International Inc., of Brentwood, TN is the US distributor. When this "fledgling" Graupner company began operations in the early 1950's they hired a young designer/ machinist named Hans Hornlein who subsequently produced the Taifun (Typhoon) line of small diesel and glow engines up to 3.5cc exclusively for Graupner.

They were sold mainly on the continent in competition with British and Italian small engines for over 20 years, 1955 to 1976. As a further note of historical interest, a small 2cc diesel had been designed by BH Kratzsch, nephew of WK Kratzsch (the most famous name in German model engine history) and an engine expert in his own right, in the early 1950's.

Hans Hornlein was to build the small engine which he did. PGF Chinn, in his "Foreign Notes" column for MAN, July 1975, gave us our first glimpse of the Profi line of glow model airplane engines, designed and manufactured by Hans Hornlein, of 7917 Vohringen Lindenstrabe 25, Oistfact kk40, West Germany. The engines were to be distributed world wide by Kussmaul, The Multiplex R/C manufacturer, Europe's largest.

Six displacements, from a .10 through .15, .20, .40, .61 and .74 cid, were to be produced. All shaft valve models with a "Cox" looking crankcase and front end design, machined from bar stock, they were of the finest workmanship. Nelson Model Products, of Chicago had been advertising the Hirtenberger (HP) Austrian line of engines and in July, 1975, (MAN) suddenly switched to the full page advertisement..."a new series of engines, the "competition quality" Profi engines from West Germany.

This first ad pictured the 40F and the 6lF R/C with a breakdown of the unique silencer for the engines. Touted were the Schnuerle porting, double ball bearings, silencer system "with insert for adjusting noise level to fit local requirements," heavy duty construction, precision machining and on and on. The engines were priced from $140 to $180 for the 61 and 74 and were never discounted in the hobby shops that were fortunate enough to get them for sale. For just a 12 month period the ads were shown in MAN through Nelson's, hardly varying in composition with the last ad in MAN, July, 1976 from Midwest Model Supply formerly the Nelson distributor, with the same address.

The "new" Profi 20 R/C for "aircraft, cars and boats," appeared twice, in March and April of 1977 before disappearing forever it seems. Hans Hornlein's single attempt to market his own line of model engines was simply not a success. These truly beautiful engines with black cylinder heads, natural, polished aluminum cylinders, gold anodized lower case and black "noses" surely did resemble the much smaller Cox design configurations and were unique in a number of ways. An estimated 10,000 production for world wide distribution meant that they were in short supply everywhere. Collectors have shown a modest interest in the engines as the smaller displacements are scarce. If one were to collect a true "family" of engines, the Profi engines would be enticing. It is questionable if the little "10" and "15" ever reached the states.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Konrad
Banned

That siren song will be no more!
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/sys...ion+Nov+09.pdf

Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
speed lover

I have the Profi .74 it looks near new and have the multi tool and the optional stud. But unfortunately I think the piston ring is stuck and need a little help does the cylinder screw off clockwise or anticlockwise. Really nice engine the bearings on the front are tiny and theres lots of them 14 of them nice conrod too. Can anyone help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.