My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Super Tartan Twin 77

The timing was set by C&H professionally. All I did was plug the RCEXL right into the same port. Also, might try a DA 50 Carb on it - I called Walbro and they felt that I needed a larger carb due to the fact the the LS needle controlled everything, and the HS needle seemed completely ineffective. It also could be my reed valve, possibly. I am thinking, however, that the DA carb might do well with the stock reed valve. Might also be an easier bolt on fit/upgrade. A buddy of mine has a DA that he will loan me the carb off of, and I'll update all . Please, if you can think of any other reason why, that would be good. Thanks!

Best,

Chris
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You need to put a Dl 30 reed block on there.  Are you running gas or meth?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM
harttvboy04

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gas. I ordered the 55 reed block. Will that work?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Should work.  Sounds like you carb has issues it the HSN is not haveing any affect.  Have you rebuilt it?  Can you post pic of the EI setup?   Specifially the pickup hall IC.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
harttvboy04

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

5 minutes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
harttvboy04

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks so much!

I have not tried a new rebuild - the one on the carb seems pretty good. I did spray some debris out of the screen in the carb. Maybe a jet is clogged??? If I am going to spend any money, I'd rather replace the carb with something that has a choke - reaching under and plugging the carb is a pain .

Thanks again!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19603.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1754965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94722.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1754966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91301.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1754967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56243.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1754968   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76294.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1754969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17829.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1754970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43873.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1754971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64901.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1754972  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20488.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1754973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36385.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1754974  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 AM
dogshome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, I don't have a Tartan twin, but several gas engines with Walbros. A couple things strike me looking at the pictures:-

* The regulating diaphragm cover is plain - normally engines run better with the vent hole piped out of the pressure fluctuations in the cowl area.
* The pump cover is also plain, so you must be using crank pressure via the port on the face of the carb. I've found much better pulsing if the pump is tapped into the crankcase rather than on the carb side of the reed. Don't know where the tapping goes on your manifold?
* A gas carb will probably need it's jet opening up if running on methanol i.e. drilled out. I had a 62cc with a Tillotson on meth and I could not screw the jets in far enough to get a proper mix when I converted to gas - I had to swap carbs. It drank methanol in pints!

32 choke size should be big enough.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is off topic, but I did notice from your picture that one of your nylon standoffs is cracked though. I would suggest aluminum for the standoffs as it is a much better material for the job.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

""I understand that I should prop this motor for 8000, and that others are swinging a 20x10 prop at this rpm""

that 8000 with an 20x10 must be on Meth for sure, or the prop size is wrong and the guy is turning a 20x8 at 8000,,

as for your Carb, the engine is some 15 or 20 years old, back then they did not put as large of a Carb on engines as they do today, look at any quality engine in the 40 to 50cc size that are made today and you will see they use a much larger carb than what is on your twin, heck> my MVVS 35cc gasser has a bigger Carb than yours,, like I told you in the PM try the Walbro wt257, you can buy it Gizmo Motors for $28, it is the hot Carb that they are using on their modified boat engines

http://gizmomotors.com/

did you receive the DL reed assemble yet ?

Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 AM
harttvboy04

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi there,

I did get the DLE 30 reed block and Carb on the Tartan just yesterday. The response seems to be there, but I am noticing that the RPM just did not seem that much higher, just without a TACH it is hard to tell. The engine did start easier, and seems to run well with the setup however. I did also experiment in small increments with the timing, and saw no high rpm effect, just low end smoothness and ease of starting.

What type of high end RPM should I expect with the new reed block and carb? Last with the WT-159 I was not even breaking 6700 with an 18x10 prop. Could the engine just not be broken in? Let me know. Thanks!

I would be glad to get my hands on a wt257 - I want to make sure the engine is not defunct prior to spending any more money on it first

Best,

Chris
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris,,
first things first, get a Tach, check the RPM with the 18x10, then check it with a 19x10 or 20x8, just to see what happens

I hate to tell you this, but IMO you should not have used the DL 30 Reed Assembly, it is to small for a 44cc, see the link, you should use the larger DL 50 Reed Assembly, but you would need to make a Mounting Plate for it, IMO this Engine could even handle a larger Reed Assemble than the DL 50 Reed

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYNE0

as for RPMs, I can't say,, for $28 I really think you should try the 257 Carb, like I told you, my MVVS 35 is 10cc smaller yet it has a larger Carb than what came on my Tartan Twin, but keep in mind the Larger Carb may not produce as smooth an Idle as the smaller Carb, same goes with the larger DL 50 Reed

to add, your Ignition may not have Advanced Timing, this may be why you find your Engine to start better and run smoother when you Retard the Timing,

another thing to know about Tartan's>>, Tartan made both a Standard and a Super Engine, the Standard had 2 (inside) Transfer Ports, while the Super has 3 Transfer Ports, so the Super is more powerful, so if yours is a Standard Engine then your Engine will not achieve the performance the Super produces,,
to tell if your Engine is a Super>, remove a muffler and look inside the Cylinder, there should be 3 Transfer Ports, 1 port directly across from the Exhaust Port, and 2 more Ports/1 on each side of the Cylinder,, if you have only 2 Ports/1 on each side of the Cylinder your Engine is the Standard model

as for brake-in, your Engine has 2 rings per Piston, if your Engine has never been run it should take 4 to 6 gallons of fuel to brake it in

to add, surely the Gasser Tartan's produces less RPMs than the Glow Tartan's do

Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
harttvboy04

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jim,

I really appreciate the help. Do you have a photo of the completed block on the tartan? Did you machine this yourself? I have the DLE 55 reed cage and reeds, just noone to make a block and no equipment to do that myself. Where can I get that done? I was able to use the 30 reeds because I modified the blue plastic reed block with an exacto and sealed it up with a good gasket. Please let me know. Thanks Jim!

Chris
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not made mine yet, use 1/4 to 3/8 thick stock, use the stock Tartan Reed Case as a template to drill the mounting holes, then cut the center out, anyone with a Mill/Drill Machine can make you, someone around you, or in your club should have a Mill Drill Machine

Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For what it's worth the engine has an 11K limit on rpm. Disregard it at your own risk. I went into a dive with an 18/10 and didn't get off the throttle fast enough and broke the crankshaft. At that time it was a $250.00 repair. The model that it was on was clean and fast and really fun to fly. Oh and the Tartans are really some of the dest diesels that you will ever run if your so inclined to convert them.

Dennis
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

overkill-RCU ,, harttvboy04

guys, can we get an update on your Super Tartan 44cc Twin performance ??

what Carb ??

what Fuel ??

Fuel Consumption ??

what Prop and size ??

and Top RPM ??

this info will help big time !!

thanks guys,

Jim
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 AM
thailazer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just ran across this thread and am running a Tartan Twin with the CH ignition system. Great running engine and love the darn thing. I replaced the original Delorto carb with a Walbro copy which is what all the farmers in our area use on weed wackers. Best ten dollars I ever spent.