Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What prop for O.S. FS-20 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What prop for O.S. FS-20 ?

An ELECTRIC GUY in this thread? Get a rope!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The false patriotism!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
mike early

Elitists only have 4-strokes and warbirds.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Konrad
Banned

That puts me down there with the masses. No warbirds and only a very few four cycles

Who said; "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"?

All the best

Konrad

Edit; To correct quote, Samuel Johnson 1775
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

An ELECTRIC GUY in this thread? Get a rope!
LOL

All the best,

Konrad
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM
scott17

I'll still bet a nickle that if you toss on a simple APC 9-5 and go fly you will be pleased. Your engine will smile too......
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Konrad
Banned

NO not a nickel [X(] but yes that is still in the power band. Now is it the best? That is another question all together different.

Is there a complicated APC?

All the best,

konrad
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
rcguy59

Scott, I think you'll probably win that bet. Do you accept Paypal?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the O.S. fs-20's for years in an old House of Balsa .20 size Texan.
I always used the Master-Airscrew 9x6 with painted tips.Worked great.I will again be using
two fs-20'son my Royal B-17 for the outboard engines, with fs-26's for the inboard engines.
My fs-20's both have a tonof time on them, but still run great! (I've had to replace the
bearings a few times, no big deal)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
mike early

ORIGINAL: Multi-Engine Guy

I used the O.S. fs-20's for years in an old House of Balsa .20 size Texan.
I always used the Master-Airscrew 9x6 with painted tips. Worked great. I will again be using
two fs-20's on my Royal B-17 for the outboard engines, with fs-26's for the inboard engines.
My fs-20's both have a ton of time on them, but still run great! (I've had to replace the
bearings a few times, no big deal)

Please link us to the thread on that B-17. That is holy.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you guys should throw the four strokes away and go electric....
Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I love all my engines, some just a little more than others. [img][/img]

Now that is a statement that I fully concur with, jeffie.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Konrad

My hobby time is too valuable to be spent on puppy love.[sm=wink_smile.gif] I give and demand a lot from my loves.

That's how I used to feel about street racing.

"Give them no quarter!"

Then I stopped competing and began trying to enjoy myself, while earning a living. I never did manage to accomplish either. Funny thing. Now I realize that all that really mattered was loved ones, family, friends and just surviving. Now here I are - an old man. And as my late father-in-law discovered, you can't take it with you. Thanks, Pops!

Ed Cregger
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM
rcguy59

ORIGINAL: karl hibbs

I have lots of electrics: starters, glow drivers, plugs, servos...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

ORIGINAL: karl hibbs

I have lots of electrics: starters, glow drivers, plugs, servos...

Throw away?! Nah!

However, I am selling my larger two and four-strokes and I'm falling back to electrics. But mostly RTF electrics at this point and some ARFs too. Not because I prefer electric over IC, but because of limited physical ability and the fact that my reacquired pit crew (absent for over twenty years, while working at her career) refuses to deal with large displacement glow engines, regardless of the number of strokes. I can still manage to get the EI equipped gassers running, if I can get her to haul them from the car for me.

I do love electrics for one reason, though. That reason is that you do not have to worry about fuel proofing the model, as long as you keep it from the exhaust blast of another glow powered model.

Just think, buy some 1.5mm laminating film. Scuff it a bit before putting it on the model, if you choose to paint it. Easily apply to the model with low heat. Tape off the model appropriately and then spray paint using cheap department store spray paint. I will assume that you have already checked the compatibility between your chosen laminating film and your spray paint. Spray paint for plastic should be ideal for this usage. Voila! No expensive glow fuel proof coverings or paints wered needed or purchased. Think of all of the extra cans of spray paint that you will be able to buy because of the lower price of this type of paint!

Ed Cregger
Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: NM2K

My hobby time is too valuable to be spent on puppy love.[sm=wink_smile.gif] I give and demand a lot from my loves.

That's how I used to feel about street racing.

''Give them no quarter!''

Then I stopped competing and began trying to enjoy myself, while earning a living. I never did manage to accomplish either. Funny thing. Now I realize that all that really mattered was loved ones, family, friends and just surviving. Now here I are - an old man. And as my late father-in-law discovered, you can't take it with you. Thanks, Pops!

Ed Cregger
Ed,
I have to agree with most of that, other than the just surviving and giving them no quarter. Sportsmanship and ethical behavior are very important. Also one should strive to live life to the fullest. We only get one chance at it.

Now competing within the strict definition of a set of rule laid down by a governing body. Now that is fun, challenging, responsible and above board.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

That's how a lot of guys grow up; racing without rules except who hits the finish line first. Governing bodies would have sucked the fun right out of the air. My dad raced within the SCCA.

Ed:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38129.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1527956  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Konrad
Banned

And the road is full of bodies. The track is the proper place for this stuff. (I speak as a first responder)
I built a lot of SCCA cars to the rules, H production and GT 3 through 1 . Again as a driver I sucked, but the machines often won titles in the hands of those that could drive. Without rules there is no fun. Discipline and dedication are key to any success.

OK, talent does come into the picture.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The key to stetting up a ship is matching the prop to the power curve and to the airframe drag curve (wing loading has a lot to do with this).
This is what I was asking about; how do you prop a plane to airframe drag? I also asked you what type of drag were you talking about.

Stall speeds are getting off topic as you were talking about the best performance on a FS-20.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
jeffie8696

Iam still trying to figure out how you go street racing with an OS20FS.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: blw

The key to stetting up a ship is matching the prop to the power curve and to the airframe drag curve (wing loading has a lot to do with this).
This is what I was asking about; how do you prop a plane to airframe drag? I also asked you what type of drag were you talking about.

Stall speeds are getting off topic as you were talking about the best performance on a FS-20.
No, I was talking about what was needed to get the most out of any power, prop, and airframe set up. Please ref. this post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10113643
This applies to electrics as well as the OS FS-20 four cycle engine. And to any "type" of drag that applies to the airframe, induced, parasitic, etc.

Stall speed is very important! As this is the bases to set the cruise speed. I recommend 2.5 to 3 times the stall speed. Now the power needed to drag something through the air goes up by the cube of the speed. So again speed is paramount to determining the power needed. Or the reverse with a limited power source one can only go so fast. The key to this is how hard the wing is working (the coefficient of lift). Yes, there is more to this like frontal area wetted area , etc. But in the end it really is the wing.
Now we do use wind tunnels or stop watches (out on the field) to find the best set up. Truth be told it is the flight test that verifies and validates the set up.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Konrad
Banned

I am still trying to figure out how you go street racing with an OS20FS.[img][/img]
Ed, Was trying to explain the meaning of life. That the competition spirit is the root of all evil!

All the best,

Konrad
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Iam still trying to figure out how you go street racing with an OS20FS.[img][/img]
Ed, Was trying to explain the meaning of life. That the competition spirit is the root of all evil!

All the best,

Konrad
The competition spirit is also the catalyst of innovation.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I am still trying to figure out how you go street racing with an OS20FS.[img][/img]

All the best,

Konrad
The competition spirit is also the catalyst of innovation.

I don't think that was Ed's point.

I'd like to take issue with your "also". This implies that you agree with it being the "root of all evil". I hope that isn't true.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
NM2K

And the road is full of bodies. The track is the proper place for this stuff. (I speak as a first responder)
I built a lot of SCCA cars to the rules, H production and GT 3 through 1 . Again as a driver I sucked, but the machines often won titles in the hands of those that could drive. Without rules there is no fun. Discipline and dedication are key to any success.

OK, talent does come into the picture.

All the best,

Konrad

Racing without officially sanctioned rules is real racing. Everything else is a wallet race. As soon as the racing is reduced to an event, the fun disappears because only a favorite few will be permitted to buy the best/fastest parts for their steeds.

I should clarify that I was drag racing automobiles, I suppose. But that was back when shifting a manual transmission well could really determine who won the race instead of like today. Our old saying was, "Slip and slide with Power Glide". It's disgusting.

R/C flying is at its best when just a few fellows that really enjoy each others company get together to go flying. The next best thing is an obscure club that can barely keep the field mowed. When it gets bigger than that, you generally won't see me there.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.