Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

LEO .46 Glow Engine

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 AM
sheko_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEO .46 Glow Engine

hi every one
its my very 1st time to use the forum,actuallyi found it a very greatreference...

anyway, i need the advice regarding my very 1st glow engine

i found thatLEO .46 Glow Engine on hobbyking, and actually am really happy with the price
any ideas about this engine's durability

also i have no idea how can i choose asuitable glow for it, i can't find lots of it on the site

appreciating a help in that matter
Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LEO .46 Glow Engine

The engine uses a standard long glow plug with no idle bar. You can also use the long RC idle bar glow plug if you don't have the other type.
If you were in the USA I would suggest a FOX long or long RC glow plug.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
sheko_2000

ORIGINAL: earlwb

The engine uses a standard long glow plug with no idle bar. You can also use the long RC idle bar glow plug if you don't have the other type.
If you were in the USA I would suggest a FOX long or long RC glow plug.

thanks for ur reply

if it will not bother you, couldu please locate one for me on hobbyking
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
earlwb

I took a look on HobbyKing's website and I was surprised in that they were not selling glow plugs. Most unusual, they sell everything else.
You would think that someone inChina was making glow plugs.
I see they have quite a few hobby shops inEgypt, it might be easier to just buy from them.
for example:
http://www.hobby25.com/
or
http://www.rchobby-egypt.com/

Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
sheko_2000

I took a look on HobbyKing's website and I was surprised in that they were not selling glow plugs. Most unusual, they sell everything else.
You would think that someone inChina was making glow plugs.
I see they have quite a few hobby shops inEgypt, it might be easier to just buy from them.
for example:
http://www.hobby25.com/
or
http://www.rchobby-egypt.com/

i can see that you made a good reshearch
actuly HK is selling a glow plugges but i don't know of they feet this engine or not
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8867

regarding shopes in egypt, the problem that they sell these items with double the price also i guess it will be mush sheaper for me to order it with the engine
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheko,

The link that you put in your last post is not for a glow-plug, but for a spark-plug.

They are not the same and the spark-plug will not fit into the Leo engine.

You will have to locate this item elsewhere.
There are plenty of places in the west that have it.

Try [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=glow+plugs&search=Go]Tower Hobbies[/link] for instance, but only select a plug that is listed as 'Long', not 'Medium' for your engine.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
sheko_2000

thank u guys for ur help

Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
earlwb

the glow plugs look like this one here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG902&P=7
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG904&P=7

The glow plugs are really small, they are only like 1/4 of a inch in diameter.
here are many of the different brands as listed here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=GME&P=7

Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
jeffie8696

http://www.merlinglowplugs.com/Aircraft.html

Numbers 2002 or 2003, he ships internationally all the time.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
sheko_2000

yea i just reialized the difference between spark and glow plugs

but any advice how to get the correct size for my motor 46?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot believe it doesn't come with a glow plug.
You are going to need to order them online from the links provided, or find a local place. Even if they are twice the price locally, they are still cheap.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
sheko_2000

yes i understand ur point
but the question is if i ordered it online, how can i choose the correct size
Old 11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
mike early

According to the links, everyone agrees on LONG plug, probably MEDIUM to HOT temperature.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

Try a plug from the oldest glow plug manufacture.  I suspect either a the RC Long or Gold Long for that engine.

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...e8eb8d66f6df8e
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
sheko_2000

so from ur answeres, i understood that all glow pluges has the same size, but the difference only in short or longand if its hot or not

thanks guys for ur help
i guess i will go to order from towerhobbie, i need to buy 10 plugs
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
earlwb

You don't have any local hobby shops? It seems like there ought to be quite a few hobby shops in Egypt.

Just for your general information.

There are basically three heat ranges of glow plugs, a hot, medium and a cold plug. Some brands might have a few more heat ranges in between. Most engines for sport useage only need the medium heat range glow plug. A cold plug would tend to be for high rpm racing applications, and a hot plug maybe for engines that have a need for it due to lower rpms or power strokes or compression ratios, such as the 4 cycle engines.

Now the short reach versus long reach glow plugs, if the engine is a .25 (or 3.5cc) size or smaller in displacement, it uses a short reach plug.
Some newer bored out .25's like the .32's and .36's use a short reach plug too. But old style large crankcase engines like the .29's and .35's use the long reach plug. All engines 40 and above use the long reach glow plug.
Some old antique engines with dual plugs may run both, one short reach and one long reach glow plug.

Now then there are some special glow plugs made just for 4 cycle engines. These have a machined shoulder or step at the bottom of the glow plug to fit a special recessed part in the glow plug hole on the engine. OS is normally the engine design that uses this special shaped glow plug. A regular long glow plug will bottom out instead of threading all the way down. As OS didn't drill and tap the glow plug hole all the way through the head.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
sheko_2000

You don't have any local hobby shops? It seems like there ought to be quite a few hobby shops in Egypt.

Just for your general information.

There are basically three heat ranges of glow plugs, a hot, medium and a cold plug. Some brands might have a few more heat ranges in between. Most engines for sport useage only need the medium heat range glow plug. A cold plug would tend to be for high rpm racing applications, and a hot plug maybe for engines that have a need for it due to lower rpms or power strokes or compression ratios, such as the 4 cycle engines.

Now the short reach versus long reach glow plugs, if the engine is a .25 (or 3.5cc) size or smaller in displacement, it uses a short reach plug.
Some newer bored out .25's like the .32's and .36's use a short reach plug too. But old style large crankcase engines like the .29's and .35's use the long reach plug. All engines 40 and above use the long reach glow plug.
Some old antique engines with dual plugs may run both, one short reach and one long reach glow plug.

Now then there are some special glow plugs made just for 4 cycle engines. These have a machined shoulder or step at the bottom of the glow plug to fit a special recessed part in the glow plug hole on the engine. OS is normally the engine design that uses this special shaped glow plug. A regular long glow plug will bottom out instead of threading all the way down. As OS didn't drill and tap the glow plug hole all the way through the head.

the engine i ordered is what i've mentioned in the thread's subject
and after lots of reviews reading i reliazed that this engine has the same desigen as OS 46

so which plug u recommend, short or long ? from what u said i guess i have to choose the short one !!

appreciating your help guys as its my very 1st glow engine
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
earlwb

A .46 engine uses the long glow plug. it is a 2 cycle so you do not need a 4 cycle glow plug.
A medium heat range glow plug is good. if you are ordering from Tower then go for the Fox long or the McCoy long or the Tower brand long glow plugs.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
DarZeelon

...or the Tower brand long glow plugs.

Earl,

That would be a mistake...

The Tower Hobbies brand; both the early ones (which were A3 clones) and the current Tower-Power (#8 clones), are 'medium' in length.
Perhaps they are actually made by OS for Tower.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
earlwb

Ok, good point, please skip the Tower plugs then. I was thinking they fixed the problems since then.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 PM
sljensen
My Feedback: (6)

Perhaps the dilema of which plug could be avoided by this philosophy. If the place selling it can't hook you up with the proper plug to fit the engine, then maybe you shouldn't buy it from them.

There are places where CRAP IS KING.
Your hobby shop or hobby supplier shouldn't be one of those places.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi,

Many "Foreign" model airplane engines are shipped without a Glow Plug and without the carburetor installed. The company that manufacturers the engine pays less Exportation Fees because the engine is not fully assembled.

The import company pays less Import Tax, because the engine is not assembled and is not yet a completed ready to run engine- (less the Glow Plug).

The "Glow Plug" was invented in USA in 1947 by Ray Arden. It caused the downfall of Small Spark Ignition Model Airplane Engines.

The Universal Glow Plug THREAD SIZE that is available here in USA is 1/4 X 28.

Some countries, Brazil for example, charge as much as 300% Import Duty on Model Airplane engines unless the package is marked as a GIFT, Unassembled, and the Value is marked at much less than the engine is worth. In some countries, the Customs Office has been known for holding Items until a "Liberation" price is agreed upon.

Here in the USA, our commercially made Glow Fuels contain from 5%-50% Nitro Methane. Most other countries use FAI Fuel, or "0%" Nitro in their Glow engines because Nitro Methane is very expensive or not available at all.

Glow engines running "0%" Nitro require different head shims and spacers to run properly on 0% Nitro Fuel. Maybe a different heat range of Glow Plug also.

The LEO Engine is a good Sport Engine. About the same quality and durability as a MAGNU ASP, BRAT, Thunder Tiger, or Bluebird. Maybe not as good as a O.S. Engine, but the price is well below the cost of aO.S. engine.

Regards,
Ken
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 AM
sheko_2000

ORIGINAL: Ken Kehlet

Hi,

Many "Foreign" model airplane engines are shipped without a Glow Plug and without the carburetor installed. The company that manufacturers the engine pays less Exportation Fees because the engine is not fully assembled.

The import company pays less Import Tax, because the engine is not assembled and is not yet a completed ready to run engine- (less the Glow Plug).

The "Glow Plug" was invented in USA in 1947 by Ray Arden. It caused the downfall of Small Spark Ignition Model Airplane Engines.

The Universal Glow Plug THREAD SIZE that is available here in USA is 1/4 X 28.

Some countries, Brazil for example, charge as much as 300% Import Duty on Model Airplane engines unless the package is marked as a GIFT, Unassembled, and the Value is marked at much less than the engine is worth. In some countries, the Customs Office has been known for holding Items until a "Liberation" price is agreed upon.

Here in the USA, our commercially made Glow Fuels contain from 5%-50% Nitro Methane. Most other countries use FAI Fuel, or "0%" Nitro in their Glow engines because Nitro Methane is very expensive or not available at all.

Glow engines running "0%" Nitro require different head shims and spacers to run properly on 0% Nitro Fuel. Maybe a different heat range of Glow Plug also.

The LEO Engine is a good Sport Engine. About the same quality and durability as a MAGNU ASP, BRAT, Thunder Tiger, or Bluebird. Maybe not as good as a O.S. Engine, but the price is well below the cost of aO.S. engine.

Regards,
Ken

thanks Ken, that was really useful for me
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Ken Kehlet

Regards,
Ken
Those engines you list there. Most are OS clones or older engine designs OS sold. They are just as good as any OS because at one time they were OS. Sometimes even better because the orginal designs were better than some of the newer designs. So I have to respectfully disagree with your statement.

To the OP what % nitro are you going to run in your LEO? That can determine what plug to buy. Longs are what you need. We just need to determine heat range based on the amount of nitro in your fuel. If O% nitro you will need medium or Hot (Low Nitro plug). If you are not sure buy a few of both and try them. Whatever runs your engine the best will be what you want.

Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
sheko_2000

if we considered the price difference between OS and LEO, so LEO wins as OS almost more than double the price

regarding the fule, i guess i will start with the min nitro ratio 5 or 10 %

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.