Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Old Soviet Union 10cc engine

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old Soviet Union 10cc engine

I came into possesion of a old Soviet era engine. it seems to be a Raduga 10cc engine. I had thought it might have beena MDS engine before the Soviet Union collasped years ago.
It was made circa 1986 and is a new in the box example too. Tthe instructions have a approval stamp dated in 1986. Plus it even had the instructions along with some extras with it too.
So I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it, history, experiences or anything.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
earlwb

Default RE: Old Soviet Union 10cc engine

Here are the instructions, I left them as links as it might overwelm someone still using dial-in internet access.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._61_page01.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._61_page02.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...1_page03_4.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...1_page05_6.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...1_page07_8.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._61_page08.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._page09_10.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._page11_12.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._61_page13.jpg

Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
beppeVRCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one, too, still NIB, and I'm also curious to know if anyone has some direct experience of it.
The MDS version was not that bed...
Beppe
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine are a Raduga-10RU..
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM
earlwb

Well that is most promising. i wonder if the factory that made the Raduga's eventually became the MDS that we know today.  There is a Ebay seller from the Ukraine that happens to be selling one too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RADUGA-10RU-0-60...item20b52478e6
So I assume someone from the Ukraine would likely be able to read the Cryllic alphabet, and knew of these engines before.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$46 shipping?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Motorboy

Default RE: Old Soviet Union MDS 10cc engine

I saw in the instruction you added in the last post, also i can read russian. The engine are made to run at FAI fuel (zero nitromethan), first running-in the engine who has 75% methanol and 25% castor oil (add extra oil to FAI fuel), first 7000 +- 1000 rpm in rich 10-15 minutes, then running in 40-60 minutes at normal running (no full power). The main needle unscrew out 3-5 turns before starting. Propeller size unknown since the instruction say 4 propeller was in the set togheter the engine from factory.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
earlwb

That is so cool. Thanks motorboy.  I'll have to edit my first post then to change the name.
I saw that part in the instructions too, and I was thinking it might have been the break-in information.
I still have 5 gallons of FAI fuel to use up still. I might have to fire this engine up and see if it is any good.

I ran across some videos posted by someone running this engine. The guy had three videos, but it didn't look like he rev'd it over 6,000 rpms during any of the videos he posted.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXiXxTOrY90[/youtube]
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: w8ye

$46 shipping?
Yeah it is coming from the Ukraine, not exactly cheap to get something from there if you are an individual.
That'll defintely keep the price down.

Years ago I was buying up a bunch of different Nixie tubes from a guy in Lithuania or Estonia, and shipping was rather steep to get something from there too.
I remember years ago mailing something to a guy farther east inRussia in Siberia and it was expensive to send something over there too.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting all of the information on the engine. Somebody will find it useful one day when they are scratching their head over it.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM
earlwb

Well, I sorta can't wait for someone to ask for the instruction manual. Then we can tell them where to view it at. But the gotcha is it is all in Russian.

So then you know what the next question would be.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: earlwb

That is so cool. Thanks motorboy. I'll have to edit my first post then to change the name.
I saw that part in the instructions too, and I was thinking it might have been the break-in information.
I still have 5 gallons of FAI fuel to use up still. I might have to fire this engine up and see if it is any good.

I ran across some videos posted by someone running this engine. The guy had three videos, but it didn't look like he rev'd it over 6,000 rpms during any of the videos he posted.
Not much to run at 6000 rpms... saw at the exhaustsmoke, maybe the engine are in running-in. The engine are made to run up to 12 000 +- 1000 rpm. Your engine was ready controlled by the controller #4 in this 31 march 1986 .. before use, wash the whole engine in gasoline/petrol as instruction say to remove foreign matter after work in factory.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
earlwb

Thanks for the info motorboy. yeah I have to soak it for a while as it the engine is stuck really good. Looks like the anti-corrosion oil had turned extra sticky on the inside. More like grease than old castor oil. so I'll need to soak it real good to loosen it up like you said.

Oh yeah, I looked it up and "Raduga" translates as "Rainbow" in English. I happened to notice that the Russians were using the word Raduga to name all sorts of things, missles, ships, boats, airplanes, satellites, businesses and companies, et cetera.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

It is an MDS identical to those we imported from Ukraine in the late '80's, before any NA company got involved in importing them en masse to bring to market. We brought in 20-30 of these, a few RE 10cc, and a bunch of .40's, and peddled them locally and kept a few. The cost at that time was ridiculously low, but folks over there have wised up to the North American market and you don't get deals like that anymore. As I recall the .40's cost us about $25 each, these 10cc maybe $35-40. I still have a couple of these 10cc, a RE 10cc, and a couple of the .40's. Carbs were inconsistent, but the engines ran well if they got a good mixture. The foam box was nicely done, the fasteners look like the slots were hand-sawn. Yes, the anti-corrosion goo is quite tenacious and needs a thorough soaking to remove, but it does the job.

MJD
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Earl, if its OK here is another Russian 10cc engine, a Zeus, it had a smallish carb and as pictured has a small exhaust port. It however runs smooth and very reliably, the carb on it is a slightly larger Webra. This engine was so tight I thought I could not get it running but once started it ran well. After 3 hours run time it still does a perfect imitation of a turkey call when turned over slowly. I know, I know, don't do that, well I did and it didn't hurt anything. I broke it in on Fox 5% with 20% castor.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
djlyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$46 shipping from the Ukraine is ridicules. I just paid $12 shipping from the Ukraine (regular post) for a Profi from http://technohobby.com.ua/.

Denis
Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
earlwb

Not really I see it all the time. A business can get special rate discounts and incentives that an individual cannot get.
For example Tower Hobbies can ship me a ARF plane kit for about $20.00. But if I took the same plane and box to the local UPS store, they want around $40 to $50 bucks to ship it for me.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think some time back X-Jet did a review of the RE version of this engine. They are still sellling the RE version on the HobbyClub web site for $49. http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...roducts_id=291

Pete
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Texastbird

I sure do need a muffler for my MDS 61 like Beppe's.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:52 PM
controlliner

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Earl, if its OK here is another Russian 10cc engine, a Zeus, it had a smallish carb and as pictured has a small exhaust port. It however runs smooth and very reliably, the carb on it is a slightly larger Webra. This engine was so tight I thought I could not get it running but once started it ran well. After 3 hours run time it still does a perfect imitation of a turkey call when turned over slowly. I know, I know, don't do that, well I did and it didn't hurt anything. I broke it in on Fox 5% with 20% castor.
This engine has a high exhaust timing best suited for a tuned pipe.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

I sure do need a muffler for my MDS 61 like Beppe's.
Well which MDS 61 do you have? I found that on one type of MDS 68 (or maybe a 1.20 as the muffler is pretty large but it could be a 58 or 61 still), that the muffler fits the Fox Eagle I, so then a Fox Eagle I or Fox Hawk Muffler would fit Ok. Also there is a MACs one piece black muffler that will work too.
With another MDS 61 engine, a MACs 46 muffler would work, there is only 1mm difference in the bolt hole spacing so the screws would still work off the muffler tabs.
The 10cc FIRE version can use a Mousse can muffler, tuned pipe, shorty pipe, or even a large size TopFlight can muffler.
You can also fabricate an adapter plate and bolt on most any muffler you want to as well.

Now the mufflers pop up on Ebay from time to time. Try a Ebay search in the RC models section for "MDS" and see if any match your engine.

here is one type of MDS 61 engine. This one developed a crack on the intake that needed a little aluminum soldering work to fix.
Note the slotted screws were replaced with hex screws too.

Here is the FIRE version, front intake, rear exhaust:

Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: modeltronics

I think some time back X-Jet did a review of the RE version of this engine. They are still sellling the RE version on the HobbyClub web site for $49. http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...roducts_id=291

Pete
I did a huge thread and review on that engine here on RCU which is why X-jet bought one in the first place.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 AM
DarZeelon

Jens,

This engine appears to be of ABC construction.
If so, the described, low-RPM break-in procedure (your post #6 - 7,000±1,000) is plain WRONG; and may be the reason most engines from Russia, are only expected to only for last four hours...

Is it ABC, or is it Meehanite/steel?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 AM
earlwb

Well, that is what the instructions are showing. Yes it does appear to be ABC on the inside. But yes I can agree those are odd instructions for a ABC type of engine.
Of course they might have recycled a instruction booklet from a older ringed engine at the time.
The 4 hour engine longevity statements are interesting. I think the thought that it was to avoid warranty issues was probably the best reason for it.

I don't know if anyone tried to make or run a .60 size engine with a mehanite piston in it. How much vibration one gets would be interesting.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: earlwb
I don't know if anyone tried to make or run a .60 size engine with a mehanite piston in it.
The early Enya 60/63 prior to the 60-II in 1965 had cast iron pistons.

But just to throw in another odd-ball Russian engine, the photo is my rear exhaust version of the Stas's 42 (I also have the SE version). Plain bearing and cast iron piston with the tightest pinch I've ever felt in anything. An hour of slobbery rich running and I was finally able to hand start it . Obviously it didn't have the advantage of a brass liner expanding so for about the first 40 minutes the piston would lock into TDC every time it stopped.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.