Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Engines

This is my new update on the Magnum engine repair from Global Hobbies. I just got off the phone with one of the reps (Dec.23)and asked the status on my engine repair. He said the engine was checked in on the 14th of Dec. and it looks like it will be at least another week before they can do the repairs. I was told on the 14th it would be no more that two weeks and the engine would be sent back.

Now I don't know if I am more disgusted with the engine or the crappy customer service from global. All I can say if you are thinking about a Magnum engine is don't. Spend your money somewhere else. I know a lot of you have posted good results with these engines but I feel it is my duty to report my own experience. As I have stated before, this was my first engine purchase after reintering RC again. If I had read a post like I have posted on this thread it would have saved me a lot of frustration for the last few weeks. Plus it would have saved me close to a hundred bucks by not having to buy a replacement for the Magnum engine plus the postage to send it back to Global.

I wish Tower hobbies would have let me return the engine for a replacement. That would have been the best solution of all.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own several Magnum engines as well as several other brands. I've had no more trouble with the Mags than with any of the others. I especially love their 4-strokes. My buddy, Flaps Laffert, he's 89, so I do all the flying, have a couple of the .30s, two .52s, a .70, an .80, a .91 & a 1.20. The .30s are so-so, but the others are great. For comparison, I have an OS .70FS, a TT .75 and a Saito .72. I think they and the Mag .70 all run about the same. The Mags and Saitos take longer to break-in, but seem to run great in the long run. Of course, the OS took zip time to run in.

We also have had 2 Mag .28XLs, 3 .52XLSs and a .91XLS. The .28s were so-so, but the others were great. The .91XLS equaled my OS .91FX and started in 1 flip. The .52s were power houses at top end. Their mid range was not very good. Flyable, but not great.

We had the 2 .52 4-strokes on a Grumman Widgeon seaplane and I managed to dunk it. I cleared the engines and ran them, but a couple of months later, when they were on a land twin, the bearings started sounding bad. Flaps sent them in, asking for an estimate on the fix. They came back a couple or 3 weeks later, no charge. One was replaced and the other rebuilt. We told them we crashed them into a lake, but they were still fixed NC.

I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall that their repair shop was a 1-man deal, maybe 2. I can see how, at certain times, they can get overloaded and behind.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Clay Walters

Good grief. You've been down on them since the start. Perhaps it would be best to just not use their products if you expect them to just drop what they're doing and fix yours RIGHT NOW. Oh sure, I know they could do better and when I began to wonder about a receiver I'd sent in I gave them a call. Turns out they'd had system issues that kept the techs from being able to log in a service order, unable to track progress nor price out quotations. This created quite a backlog and they were privately doing everything they could to restore operations and get the work out. It made its way to me a couple of weeks back.

If you know of another brand that just never breaks and they don't even have a Service Department as a result; buy one of theirs.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could the delay have been caused by their having to restock one of the necessary parts? Just a thought.....

Bob
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Insanemoondoggie

They just got a supply of parts, I just received some parts I had on back order yesterday. Magnums are awesome engines for the money.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 PM
ratshooter

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

Good grief. You've been down on them since the start. Perhaps it would be best to just not use their products if you expect them to just drop what they're doing and fix yours RIGHT NOW. Oh sure, I know they could do better and when I began to wonder about a receiver I'd sent in I gave them a call. Turns out they'd had system issues that kept the techs from being able to log in a service order, unable to track progress nor price out quotations. This created quite a backlog and they were privately doing everything they could to restore operations and get the work out. It made its way to me a couple of weeks back.

If you know of another brand that just never breaks and they don't even have a Service Department as a result; buy one of theirs.

You are right. I have been down on them from the start. And I also stated that I understood that a bad part does get out. And I didn't expect them to drop everything just to repair MY engine. I did expect them to repair it in the large time frame they gave themselves to do it in. Not extend it for yet at least another week. I also stated that I am use to dealing with firearms makers and admit I am spoiled by receiving first class service. I would like to call this third class service but it just doesn't qualify for that high of a rating. And rest assured I will buy no more ASP/Magnum branded products. I suppose they must get these engines back by the bucket load if they are so far behind.Anyway you made me laugh.

I mailed the engine back on 12/3/10. They had it in their hands by the 9th. They didn't log it in for repairs until the 14th. Why the delay? They stated it would be repaired in two weeks after being logged into their system. Nope.

I do know that someday it will be repaired. When they do and if it is properly repaired I will come back and give them credit. Beleive me, I would much prefer to give praise to a company or a manufactuer than to critisize it. The Thunder Tiger I bought to replace the Magnum has been great. Matter of fact every TT engine I have bought has been just perfect. Guess whos engines I will buy in the future?

If the problem was a shortage of parts just letting me know there would be a delay would have made a big difference in the amount of aggravation I have felt. I am now an insurance adjuster and making sure an insured is informed of the progress and status of a claim makes all the difference in the world when dealing with them. At least they know they haven't been forgotten. Thats how you handle customer service.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM
ratshooter

I got a call from Global Hobbies today and they said they are going to send a new engine instead of repairing my old one. I am glad to hear that is the action they are taking. I really didn't want a brand new rebuilt engine. So I want to say a big thank you to Global for their decision. Thats the kind of service I was hoping to get and they came through with it. So once again thank you Global Hobbies.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal. That has been my experience twice int he past. My XL15Aand XL52RFS both were completely replaced. with new engines.
SIGis the same way with customer service, if you get a bad carb on your Aviastar (a common occurance) they are happy to take it in and repair or replace it with a tested good carb. And $50 for an Aviastar .46 is a sweet deal, they are a big tough chrome liner engine.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM
gmccord1970

Hi Ratshooter,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your Magnum. I bought a Magnum .52 two stroke and so far so good. Ran a gallon of Omega .15% through it and dropped it in a Phoenix Spitfire. At WOT, it performs very sweetly. However, there is some slight hesitation in the transition from mid to high range. Also, I DO NOT recommend messing around with the low end screw. No amount of fine tuning will get perfect transition. I was never able to. In fact, I ended up making the transition worse and I ended up just resetting the low-end back at factory setting. Just my two cents.

All in all, I think Magnums are good value for the money.

-Geoff
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 AM
asmund

Try setting the low end needle at 0.5-0.75 turns out from fully closed on a closed throttle barrel, That`s where I end up with mine and transition is nice and clean
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
stuntflyr

I live in SoCal so buy from Hobby People all of the time. The Magnum's are very inexpensive engines and the two 46XLS engines I have both run like tops. I broke them in exactly like the instructions, which says in this case to use 20% all castor fuel. Not wanting to second guess a potential engineering safe guard WAG about that particular design, I bought some Sig all castor and ran the first one in my 14 year old's low wing trainer. It ran and ran, was involved in one dirt dunk from 100 feet. Repaired the model and cleaned off the engine and ran and ran it until it had burned one half gallon of all castor fuel. it flies at less than 1/2 oz per minute at 3/4 throttle so that was a lot of time. Switched to regular 1/2 and 1/2 blend fuel and has never given any trouble. I used the other in my dad's RCM Trainer, same break-in, same results. Nice little engines. I have a Magnum61 too, but only have a few flights on it. A buddy has one that lost the front bearing, then the rod pin. He just bought the parts and rebuilt it himself. It runs great now, pulls an 8 pound Classic Pattern ship around well.
I like them so far, I hope my 91 FS engines run as well,  have bought 3 of them!
Chris...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
jeffie8696

My little Magnum 30FS drags my Kadet Jr around really well, Irather like it. The Merlin hot 2010 four stroke plug made all the difference I am sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
gmccord1970

Hey Stunt,

Yeah, I will admit that I have never experienced such fuel efficiency with my Magnum .52 two stroke. I'm averaging about 17 to 18 minute flights for a 8 oz. tank. Astonishing!