Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Royal Glow Engine

Old 02-13-2021, 02:31 PM
RonIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Glow Engine

I have been searching, but so far no success in trying to find information about a Royal glow engine I have. I think it is a .40 - .46 size engine. I bought it new many years ago, and my intension was to use it in a R/C trainer (Sig Kadet) that I was going to build from a kit.
I was flying control line stunt in those days, and long story/short, I never got into R/C. A few years ago I starting flying R/C electric micro helicopters, and that so far has been the extent of my radio control flying.
I now have the urge to build the Kadet, and am currently working on my work space/shop. I even found all my tools, and the Kadet with plans is still in the box.
What I would like to find is more information about the engine so I can properly break it in and mount it.
Does anyone have sources or can steer me in the right direction?
Thanks, RonIA
Old 02-18-2021, 03:19 PM
maxtenet

Check out this website:
Royal 40

Good info,
Max
Old 02-18-2021, 07:03 PM
RonIA

Max - Thank you for the information.
Know it would be nice to find a manual.
Ron/IA
Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 AM
maxtenet

ON R/C groups there is a thread with just manuals. They only have the Royal .25 manual but I would imagine it is the same. Also the Thunder Tiger .40 is basically the same engine.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-Manuals-Here

Max
P.S. I would follow the instructions for the SK engines on the first page.

Last edited by maxtenet; 02-22-2021 at 07:57 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RonIA, here you go. I just dug it out of my cabinet...found the instructions for the Royal 40. The engine sits in the Johnny Casburn Lil Super Lucky Fli in the pic. My sons forbid me from flying it again since it’s as old as them....dates to 1982, lol. Used to fly it at Chatfield Reservoir in Littleton, CO in the 80’s. Hope the manual helps you! Jon

Old 02-25-2021, 09:34 AM
RonIA

Jon - Thank you so much. I wanted this so I would be using the correct prop, for the initial carb settings for start up, and the settings for breakin.

Ron H.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:09 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RonIA, you’re very welcome! Usually I don’t have what someone needs or I am late to see the question. So I am glad to help out when I can! Good luck on your build and your use of the Royal engine....I found my Royal 40 to be a good reliable engine. Stay well! Jon
Old 03-01-2021, 03:27 AM
KCLC

Default Royal Engine

If this engine is a .46 size, you can probably get parts from MECOA. They sell a .46 size engine which is identical to the Royal engine. They're engine is a very sturdy and good running powerplant. I have and use 2 of them, I've bought 2 of the Royal engines from Ebay for a twin project.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:55 AM
maxtenet

Just note that there are 2 different Royal engines made by different companies. The first ones were the ones with the embossed logo of a lion or something on the side. The second one just had a flat insert plate which said Royal on the side. The first models were excellent engines. The second ones were sold as Royal, Megatech, Skyward and some other names. Same engines with different nameplates. They were pretty much junk.

Max

Old 03-01-2021, 08:21 AM
KCLC

Default Royal engines

You are correct in the fact that there are two flavors of these. I suspect that LEO of Tiawan built both of these, which were copies of O.S. engines, I haven't owned any of the 2 piece crankcase LEO's, I've actually steered away from them. As I heard they were not as good as the one piece crankcase design. Just my opinion. have a good day.