Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito FA-82a

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito FA-82a

I've searched the net and really have not found a large following for this engine. Did find some "noise" regarding the plastic rear cover (backplate) and the plastic attachment point of the carb along with a few posts of poor fuel economy. And on the two "Club Saito" threads (one here and one on Brand-X website) not many listed the FA-82a in their trophy list. Did all FA-82a engines have the plastic backplate?

Just what was wrong with this puppy and does the FA-82b remedy all that? From the AB code I get the impression that I could just get the FA-82b backplate and screws and install them on an FA-82a but I wonder if that would impact warranty?

Reason I ask is I can get an FA-82a reasonable but by adding the upgrades its not that much of a savings and I wonder if the "b" model really offers substantial improvement.

Never owned a Saito but have always admired them.

Please enlighten me,

Clay

Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito FA-82a

Clay, I can't speak to what was wrong with this engine. I have just two Saitos and both are the 82a. I actually LOVE them both. One is in a BH T-28. I got the engine used but like new and ran the heck out of it. Recently replaced bearings and it is running strong as ever again. When I got that engine about two years ago, it was my first Saito too. The other 82a is also used but like new, and I have run it about a year in my Toledo Special. Both are strong, start easy, light, quiet. DUnno what is wrong with them, so I have two more used in boxes and ready to go in planes, plus a Saito 100. So that is what I think about any probs with the 82a, lol. Jon
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had an 82a, and loved it. I used it to grossly overpower a Sig Somethin' Extra It always ran perfectly, developed gobs of power, and I only sold it after 3 seasons because i wanted to free up $$ for something else. Never had any perception of poor fuel economy, either.
I say go for it! Just make sure you inspect whatever you're intending to purchase as thoroughly as you can- buyer beware!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with the Saito-82a. I have one and it starts and runs well.

However there is a newer version denoted Saito-82b. The only difference is a minor
change in the design of the valve gear cover and gear setup. Not that there was a problem
with the earlier design that had been used for 20 years or more on other Saito engines,
but it seems to have been modified on most of the newer Saito engines.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 82A but I made a 82B out of it.

It was fine either way.

After having the 82, I sold my 91's as the 82 had almost the same power and weighed a lot less.