Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 40 ss - A good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enya 40 ss - A good engine?

Someone just gave me an Enya 40 ss. The engine has good compression but the carburetor is frozen in the completely off position. I am trying to free it by soaking it is Benzine. Are there other solvents and methods that I should try? Also the engine was stored in a plane that was hung from the tail and there is a lot of gook at the prop washer.

Is this engine worth fooling with? I hate to buy a new or used carburetor and fine out that the Enya 40 ss is not a very good engine.

Thank you for your comments.

Todd

Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
beppeVRCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Enya 40 ss - A good engine?

ENYAs are very good engines and last a life time.
Try to soften the old castor oil putting the engine in the oven for a few minutes at 180 degrees.
If you can remove the carb, you can stick only the carb in the oven, if the engine is free. In this way you can remove the O-ring (if any) between the carb and the crankcase and save it when time will come for reassembly.
Beppe
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

New fuel is what I use for one that is gummed up a bit.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Great engine, Power house, mine is a good 25-30 ish yrs old & running VERY strong. If I had a complaint, it is that the engine with its stock muffler is loud. An after market muffler quiets it down nicely without any power loss. New fuel, or oven heating work well for un-sticking stuck parts. Try oven first before trying fuel, fuel in an engine inside an oven is not a good thing!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent engines, they tend to last forever barring a crash or something.
You can soak the carb in raw glow fuel, ethanol, acetone or methanol too. Soaking it down with WD-40 works too. Usually you need to heat the carb up some with a hot air gun or heat shrink tubing gun or even boil the carb some in a small old sauce pan on the stove even. Usually the old castor oil tends to get thick or harden up over time and it makes things stick.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I happily paid $125 each for a pair of new Enya SS 40 BB G7s from Japan last fall. They're terrific engines that are powerful, easy to break in and tune, and they sip fuel.

Any effort you put into getting that SS 40 of yours running will be well rewarded!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
sawdust

Thank you for all of the replies. Now you have me excited about the Enya 40 ss.

Now I'll try some of the methods you have suggested on getting the carburetor unstuck.

Todd
Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
sawdust

I used a heat gun and that unstuck the carburetor. Now I'll try to start the engine tomorrow. Thanks again. Todd
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
CustomPC

Make sure to use a fuel with plenty of castor.

The SS engines have cast iron piston/steel sleeve and bushed rods so 20% Castor is a necessity for these engines.

There is a local technical editor here that is a vocal opponent of castor and i watched a fellow club member destroy an SS .40 after following this "experts" advice and running straight synthetic fuel.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: sawdust

I used a heat gun and that unstuck the carburetor. Now I'll try to start the engine tomorrow. Thanks again. Todd

That will do it, and metanol or isopropyl alcohol will break down the castor varnish.

Please use castor lube as synthetic will (no kidding) wreck this engine as stated above. BTW, I have two of these .40SS, one ball bearing and the other is the sleeve bearing version.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
mike109

G'day

I have two Enya 40SS engines. Both bought from eBay. If yours is like mine it has a steel liner with a cast iron piston and the bottom end is bushed. There is also a ball bearing shaft version but I think both have the iron/steel piston liner combination.

One of mine was sold as "near new" but if it was it had been ruined by wrong oils and/or incorrect running in. The other is fine. I managed to get a new piston and liner for the worn one direct from Ken Enya for about $35 which is very reasonable.

These engines with iron/steel metallurgy do need castor so please feed your a high castor diet if you want it to last.

I put one of mine in a Sig LT-40 trainer and all the experts told me it would not be powerful enough. It was fine and flew the LT-40 well with plenty in reserve. They are good engines and usually last a long time. AND parts are still available from Enya in Japan.

Mike in Oz

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
JPMacG

The Enya 40SS has been made in many flavors.... air bleed carb, twin needle carb, bushed, twin bearings, iron piston/steel sleve, and I think some were made with ringed aluminum pistons.

If yours is iron piston / steel sleeve (the most common) then you may need to run it on 20% castor. That is the engine I have and it seems to run best on high castor.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
MrGreenSpeed

I think You should just box it up and send it to Me.....

Jeff[8D]
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afriend of mine ran one in his LT-40 and as long as he did not over prop it , it flew fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
fiery

I have a friend who flies his LT-40 with an ancient OS FP 40 (iron and steel).

Personally, I'd rather an ENYA SS40 any time. The parts availablilty is just the cream on the cake.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
sawdust

I started the engine today. It ran great. I did put some extra Castor oil in the fuel per instructed. And it did seem to be very easy on fuel as noted in a reply post.

The plug that is in the engine is a long plug with an idle bar. Seems to work great.

What would be a good replacement plug for this engine?

Thanks again for all the help.

Todd
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM
mike109

G'day. With low nitro, I'd try an Enya #3 (hot) or #4 (medium to hot). Or equivalents. Enya plugs are very good quality and often work when others don't. My Super Tigre G51 loves a #3 with 10% nitro.

Here in Australia, Enya plugs are freely available on eBay but rarely seen in normal hobby shops which is a pity as they work very well.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should only NEED an idle bar plug with a baffle ported engine and even then you might get away with not using one. Idont think the Enya 40SS is baffle ported.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use Fox Standard Long or Fox RC long glow plugs in all of my engines. Easy to get most everywhere too, and the price isn't bad either.