Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Info needed for Webra Speed 50 GT

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info needed for Webra Speed 50 GT

Hi................Was going to put 55AX on the nose of my 46 to 50 size sport plane, but the case is too wide for mounts & I cannot change it. (Lonestar 50)

I have a new Webra Speed 50 GT Aero non ringed with muffler that fits perfectly. (narrower case)

Can anyone that knows this engine tell me anything about this engine? How does it perform..........compared to say a OS 46 AX......55 AX..........Magnun 52.........Evo 52........Etc etc........Just want to know if it's a panzy or a stump puller before I drill mount holes.............

I know nothing about this engine so any info would be great.....Thanks in advance

One more thing I noticed......The included muffler has no baffle & the outlet hole is HUGE! ???????

Tcat
Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Info needed for Webra Speed 50 GT

Tcat,

If you already own this Webra, you should not care that they have gone under; i.e. bankrupt.

This engine is good and most of the time, lasts pretty long; despite having an ABN P+L assembly.
It is also mighty powerful, when propped lightly...

I.e. with a Bolly 10.5x7 Clubman prop (or an APC 10x8), it is overloaded, but with an APC 10x7, it is beyond that obstacle and puts out a nice amount of power.

And it is light; about as light as a .50 engine can be.

I have, however, heard of and seen a couple of them, that peeled the nickel off the sleeve.
But since you already have it at your disposal, the worst that can happen is that you'll have to dispose of it...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I've had 5 of them over the years...really like 'em...currently flying 3 of them.

You probably have the newer muffler? If it's a constant diameter cylindrical tube, then it's the newer one. It is loud, but really lets the engine rev up, if you don't lug it down. Only draw back is that it doesn't provide a whole lot of fuel tank pressure. (the earlier muffler drops the noise and power level slightly, but gives a bit better throttleability )

I use an APC 10 x 7 when I want some speed (talking of "Sport" planes here ) or an APC 12 x 4 on a 3D profile type.

They don't really like more than 10% Nitro...I use S&W fuel now, but have used Powermaster and Omega as well. (all have a blend of synthetic and castor in their 17-18% oil content )

The Tower plugs work well...or the O.S. #8, or K&B 1L

Never had any problems with the Nickel plated liners...[8D]
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the info.....I had a Master Airscrew Schmitar 10/7 prop that I think that I will try out on it. Also have a 10/6 & 10/5...

The muffler is one piece & tapers down towards the end like most other mufflers but is still one piece. It's not the constant dia tube like shown in my manual. Again, the hole in the end though is quite large & no baffle when looking into it. The pressure tap comes off of the inlet to the muffler on the side close to the mounting lug rather than in the muffler chamber like most others. ????????

My fuel for all my planes is Wildcat blend 15% nitro and 18% oil. Hope it liks it. All my others do!

Again, thanks guys for the info.............

Tcat
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
proptop

From your description, it sounds like you have the earlier muffler.[8D]
That is the muffler I am currently using on my .50 GT in my Tower Kaos...IMO that is a better muffler for over-all "sport" performance.

With 15% nitro, your carb adjustments might be somewhat touchy...if it's really peaky, and your glow plugs don't last very long, you just might have to drop down to 10%? Weather conditions will also play a part in that.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
turbo.gst

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Webra 50 GT is a fantastic engine. It does like to rev, and does it on low nitro fuel. These engines are designed for a FAI environment. The earlier muffler has rivots and a larger opening it is louder than the newer one piece type. I think you will be very happy with the GT 50.

turbo