Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK Cub .049 RB model glow engine

Here is a interesting item from the old days, a OK Cub .049 RB glow engine. It was OK's attempt to compete with the Cox rear intake reed valve engines like the Baby Bee's et cetera. Unfortunately, it didn't compete very well. I think this engine is one of the ones they made a long time later from leftover parts. But in any case it does look pretty neat.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OK Cub .049 RB model glow engine

It look brand new! Probably was as good as early Cox reedy but certainly cost more to produce than the Cox design and that`s what killed it in the end. Performance wise when the TD .049 came along virtually all other manufacturers rolled over and died!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does Ok Model engine Company still sell engines?
    http://www.okengines.com/news.shtml

Actually COX had better marketing on their side. When I was younger, Cox had glow engine products in just about every store in the USA and probably Canada too. I remember even the local big name pharmacy even had some Cox products for sale. Cox had packaged RTF control line planes with everything needed to fly, and had small pint and quart fuel cans being sold everywhere too. Cox managed to out do everyone else and get their engine products being sold everywhere.

The main problem was the Cox engine was easier to make and thus could be made cheaper. But as the marketing wars went on, COX had a huge economy of scale going, where they were making probably thousands of engines a week. The other manufacturers were likely in the hundreds of engines in a batch a few times a year. They never got into the huge mass marketing like Cox did.

The Cox Tee Dee wasn't the only high performance .049 engine around a long time ago. The FOX .049 FAI engine ran just as good as the Tee Dee and was arguably maybe a little bit more powerful. The fuel tank was a option.

It used SPI sub-piston port induction too.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About the OK engines...yes, there are still some available. (at least there were as of last year ) I don't recall at the moment if Ted Brebeck is the son, or grand son of the founder.

I guess there were still some New Old Stock parts...but not enough for complete engines? So they started making some new parts to be able to complete a batch or two of them?

Looks like by the end of 2013 they are packing it up though...?

Many years ago, mid '70s, I went to OK in Herkimer with a friend who was into model railroading as well as airplanes. I was an early teen, and just sorta looked around and absorbed the surroundings. Lots of parts, machines, trains, airplanes engines, etc. etc.[8D]
    < Wrongway Feldman's Kreider-Reisner KR-21...(on Gilligan's Island)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah it looks like OK Model engines will quit in 2013.
    I think my RB engine is one of the ones that OK put together later a number of years ago.

Fox wound up stuck with thousands of engines and parts when they parted ways with Comet a long time ago. So Fox started modifying and making new engines out of all the parts. originally the .07 engine was made just for Comet. Fox came out with the .049 models as well as modified .07 models and a .07 RC engine too. But i suspect Comet wanted thousands of engines on consignment and they would pay for them as they sold them. I think Fox balked at investing that much money in engines for Comet as Comet wasn't doing all that good at the time. So then OK Model Engines apparently decided to do that with Comet. So then OK got the deal with Comet and Fox was left out. But later Comet being in financial difficulty went out of business and OK Model engines almost went out of business as they had a lot of money tied up in inventory with Comet. The OK folks were having to rip the engines off of unsold RTF planes and stuff at the Comet warehouses in a attempt to recoup some of their investment.

Some of the early Fox .07 engines had the Comet logo ground off the crankcase side, plus Fox put the fuel tank on so that the engine was upright, and Fox cut the long intake tube down and put a bevel on it. Later when he had new castings made they had the Fox logo put on instead.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ran a fair amount of Cox and Cub engines when I was a kid, a loooong time ago. Also ran Atwoods and Holland Wasp,k&B,Spitzy,etc just about everything that was available in the 50's.
    The point of that remark is this. Yes the Cox was all that you heard about. But most don't realize that the reason it ran well was in addition to good machining it had the very first really good glow HEAD. That plug was the difference between it and almost every other engine at the time and it offered a huge gain in power and dependability that no other 1/2A of the time posessed.
    The engine displayed at the top of this thread was made as an 049 and 061 and came at the very end of the OK Cub saga. It had a glow head. But by 1966 it was too little and too late for them. The market had pased them by and Cub went quietly out of business..The early cubs did not suffer many problems with quality but they were horribly anemic. the venturi was microscopic and the needle valve assembly just about choked it to death, They sometimes had crankshafts fit a little too tight, the cylinder ports were small. It was a nice free Flight engine and probably did fine against the k&B engines when they were both introduced in the late 40's. But to compare them to anything that came later is really just doing the Cub a disservice.
    Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first engine was a Cub .099, bought about 1949 or 50. Learned to fly control line with that engine. Still have it, still likes to drink blood when starting. Sounds mean running, but I don't think it has quite as much power as a Cox Black Widow .049. Yet I thought back in the mid 60s my Cub .049 As and Bs had slightly more power than my Space Bug or early Babe Bee engines. Main prioblem I have with the couple .099s is that most clubs in the area require mufflers on anything .09 and over. In the past, I also had a Cub CO2 motor, a couple .14s, and a couple .19 finger biters.
    Believe it or not, after all these years, all my Cubs still have excellent compression. I believe in adequate castor oil in the fuel. I'm still looking forward to trying out the Cub .049 Diesel I picked up for a song a couple years ago.
    I also have one of the Cub HO passenger cars. Body is an aluminum extrusion, floor is a fiberboard with aluminum posts pressed in for the truck screws. Cub bought the line from another old manufacturer, Kasiner.