Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Best engine per $ ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
martenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best engine per $ ever

I bought some scrap engines from mecoa, and I think I did good

One K&B 65 sportster for just $18, one GMS 73 for just $25 and one piece of crap for ??$

The K&B was just clean up, put some shim on the crank(to much end play) and a muffler from my K&B 61 and a spare parry carb.
It did 11200 rpm with a zinger 11x6, 7900 rpm with a 14x6 and 10000rpm with a APC 12x6, I'm happy with the engine, so easy to start
And I ran it on 80/20 castor only fuel.

I found a new piston for the GMS in New Zealand and a new muffler for just $18 NZ$

Good deals are out there if you are willing to work :-)

Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best engine per $ ever

I remember being given a Fox .45 RC engine by a fellow modeler many years ago. He said Fox engines were crap and no good, blah blah blah. I cleaned it up some. Fired it up on my test stand and adjusted it. It was running good, so I mounted it in a plane and went flying with it. Five planes later and it is still working just fine. Looks a little cruddy with the old castor oil backed on it, but it still runs great. I figured it would be due for new bearings soon, but it is still hangling in there.

I had bought a GMS 1.20 from someone a while back real cheap, they had used red gasket sealant all over it. The only problem I found was the remote needle valve was sucking air or allowing the fuel to vaporize and bubble inside the fuel line. so I only needed to use a different carb or a different remote needle valve. it worked fine with a Perry carb and the GMS carb worked fine with a Fox remote needle valve.

This was when it had just about worn out a HobbicoStartFire low wing plane

The old Fox 45 is now on a Combat Airmadillo 40:

a long time ago, my apartment was burglarized and they stole most all of my RC planes and equipment. Someone gave me a Fox .60 Bluehead engine to use on a plane as well as a MRC four channel RC system too. I ran the engine and radio in a Astro-Hog for a long time, and then the engine was used on a couple of other planes. I shelved the engine for many years as we needed to use mufflers and it didn't have one. But more recently I pulled the engine back out of the box and mounted it on a new Tiger 60 plane and it flies just fine once more. I did put in new rings, but the bearings were still OK.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihave gotten some screaming good deals over the years. The last swap meet Iwent to I bought a complete ready to fly Carl Goldgerg 20 with a like new radio and engine , the engine turned out to be an OS26Surpass. You wouldnt believe how much I paid for it, lets just say it was a really really good bargain.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
martenson

Ijust love bargains
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45452.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	1577501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53681.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1577502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50834.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	1577503  
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

To me, the best engine per dollar would have to be the McCoy .35 of the late fifties/early sixties? Or perhaps the Cox .049 Babe Bee of the same era. Nice engines that were financially accessible (I got my Cox .049 engines out of neighborhood trash cans a week or two after Christmas).

Ed Cregger
Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
MetallicaJunkie

wow i just checked out mecoas website..... they have some pretty good deals.....NOOOOO i dont need anymore engines ...lol its tempting
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
downunder

This was my best bargain, an OS 40VF for $10 and I was the only bidder, I guess because everyone else was turned off by the horrible paint job on engine and carb and the head being fitted wrong. I figured that even if the engine was totally worn out then at least I'd have a spare crankcase and other minor parts. Stripped it, the paint came off in a few minutes, gave it a good clean and reassembled because everything looked fine. It started first flick and ran as well as my other 40VF's .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62247.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1577829  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
jeffie8696

They have some great stuff thats true, just all out of my price range AKA almost nothing.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K
To me, the best engine per dollar would have to be the McCoy .35 of the late fifties/early sixties? Or perhaps the Cox .049 Babe Bee of the same era. Nice engines that were financially accessible (I got my Cox .049 engines out of neighborhood trash cans a week or two after Christmas).
Ed Cregger
You know I did the same thing as a kid. I could afford a new McCoy 35 and still have money left over for comic books, and stuff.
It was a major effort to buy my first Fox Stunt .35 way back then as I had to save and work a lot for it, and even then it took all my money.
I did the same thing on acquiring Cox engines too.