Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Max SF 46 - rising from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Max SF 46 - rising from the dead

I have retrieved my Super Sportster 40 from my parent's garage. It has sat in storage for some 20+ years now, I think. The OS Max SF 46 that sits in it has not been stored properly, so my question is what kind of chance do I have of reviving it?

I removed the plug, opened the back; there's very little visible rust inside. The carburator isn't turning at this moment, but with some WD-40 the shaft is turning with a little resistance now. I have the entire engine soaking in some 10-30W motor oil. I figure I have nothing to lose at this point.

I heard I'll have to replace the bearings most likely; but does anyone disagree with that assessment?

I'd love to get a new Evolution and I don't need much of an excuse to press the order button; but I am curious if this engine can be brought back to life....? Just curious if folks have an opinion or any wisdom along these lines. I'm in completely new territory now.

Follow-up question: how often do people replace their inline fuel filters?

NOTE:A couple nice videos for step-by-step procedures on how to replace the bearings:

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95543.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1588208  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Default RE: OS Max SF 46 - rising from the dead

Mount it to a stand, fuel it up, and run it. Will probably need nothing for at least a season. If you put in bearings, it will be an easy assumption nothing else is wrong with it. I can't count the engines I've revived doing little but cleaning to them to revive them.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it is soaking in 10W30, if you soak it in transmission fluid, the detergents in this will clean the engine better.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are good engines!!
If the carb shaft isnt turning, a little heat from your heat gun will take care of that. I'd say about a 10 to 15 second blast, then check to see if its loosened up. If the crank feels rough when you turn it over by hand, its possible that the bearings may need replaced, but as Rambler said, I would fire it up and run some fuel through it first just to see where you stand.You may need to replace the glow plug also(?)
Good luck with your engine.
John
Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 PM
jstrach

Yes, figured the glow plug was a given (and has already been ordered).

Will remove the 10-30W and put the engine into ATF instead per your recommendation too.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
jeffie8696

It might be just fine but bearings are cheap and a good idea. Ithink you would be happier with the SF than a lot of other new engines.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
jstrach

I have no clue how to replace the bearings; are there any online YouTube videos for "how to"?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Eddie James
My Feedback: (3)

Disassemble it and put it in nitro fuel. I have two of them from 1992. I just cleaned one of my 40's from 1992 in nitro and it runs like a charm. Was stuck solid and carb would not turn. Just let is soak in nitro fuel in a bowl for about a half hour and then start slowing working the carb and prop shaft. It'll loosen up.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Don't waste your time with a tear-down and bearings unless you need it. Use WD-40, or ATF, or fuel, heat, whatever, to break down the thickened oil left in it, and try to run it. You may be lucky/surprised to see it fully recover! I had an old engine that was totally seized up that I was able to free up and ran great with no parts.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM
MrGreenSpeed

I agree with FlyingPilgrim run it.

After cleaning it good, run it a little richer than normal ( not 4 stroking ) for a tank or 2, this should flush out any left over old fuel/oil residue, then put it on a plane and go fly.

As for the inline filter there cheap insurance I'd use a new one + new fuel lines.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: rambler53

Mount it to a stand, fuel it up, and run it. Will probably need nothing for at least a season. If you put in bearings, it will be an easy assumption nothing else is wrong with it. I can't count the engines I've revived doing little but cleaning to them to revive them.

I agree with rambler53 wholeheartedly. Run it first. Be gentle. Let it idle for a while. Take your time getting it back up to full speed.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
jstrach

A follow-up question, Iwas planning on replacing the fuel lines and the filter - those are already ordered. But do I need to replace the tank? Any opinions?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I have tanks that are 15-20 years old. Of course at 5 bucks or so, it is cheap insurance... If you buy a new engine, let me know, I need the 4d carb that is on your SF.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Good engine.  I picked up one a couple of years ago at a swap meet for $25.  Great engine.  I also ordered up a new ring but have not had to install it - yet.  It is running like a champ and would put it up against a modern OS 46AX any day of the week.

Chip
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
jstrach

An interesting comment,Chip. So you really like the older OS Max SF huh? Good to hear.

By the way, since you mentioned rings - where would one get rings or bearings if one was so inclined???
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
jeffie8696

Iget all my bearings from Boca bearings.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Red B.

The SF is one very good engine. I have three of them and they are very dependable and quite strong engines. The SF was made in a ringed version and an ABC ringless version. All of my SF engines for some reason runs better without muffler pressure.
There have been some cases of liner peeling in which case the piston/liner from a LEO .46 is a perfect fit at a very reasoable price.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Red B.

The SF is one very good engine. I have three of them and they are very dependable and quite strong engines. The SF was made in a ringed version and an ABC ringless version. All of my SF engines for some reason runs better without muffler pressure.
There have been some cases of liner peeling in which case the piston/liner from a LEO .46 is a perfect fit at a very reasoable price.

I have a .46SF and like it very much. I don't need a piston/liner right now, but where do you buy a LEO .46 piston/liner set. Thank you.

Sincerely, Richard/club SAITO #635
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Red B.

I did buy one LEO piston/cylinder set from Just Engines in the U.K. a couple of years ago. I can't find it on their web site anymore, but try contacting them. Jenny and Andrew are very helpful.

[link=http://www.justengines.unseen.org/]Just Engines Ltd.[/link]

Another possible source is HobbyKing. They sell LEO engines and may also sell spare parts.

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11797]Hobbyking[/link]
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

RC Bearings has the best prices in the US. I've used them several times. [link=http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/index.php]RC-Bearings Link[/link]
You'll need a gear puller or the OS puller from Tower to get the front thrust washer off to replace the bearings.
If your SF is ABC, and mine was, it will probably have a peeled liner or shortly will peel the coating off. This was the first OS series, as I recall, that switched from a chrome to a nickel plating on the sleeve. The Mecoa .46 true ABC piston and sleeve are a drop in fit and are only $32. You can also get the bearings there is you like. The engine is probably made in Taiwan by Leo. Both the Mecoa and Leo were copies of the OS SF. [link=https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=146]Mecoa Parts List[/link]
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
1320Fastback

I revived a old Magnum .45 by simply putting it in the oven on 350 for 5 minuets...... Even left the carb on!

Before I "kooked" it the carb slide was stuck and the crank had quite a bit of resistance, after it came out the carb was free and the crank spun smoothly.

Fueled it up, put a new plug in and she still runs like a top.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I revived a old Magnum .45 by simply putting it in the oven on 350 for 5 minuets...... Even left the carb on!

Before I ''kooked'' it the carb slide was stuck and the crank had quite a bit of resistance, after it came out the carb was free and the crank spun smoothly.

Fueled it up, put a new plug in and she still runs like a top.
From the Freezer to the Oven to the Table LOL.

I agree the SF was one of OS's better engines. I have several. Just picked up a 46SF with a tuned pipe on a profile I bought at Perry. The engine is frozen like yours and I'm going to leave it in SUSPENDED ANIMATION till I have use for it.

Pete
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
jeffie8696

My concern with using bearings that have sat for a very long time with questionable storage procedures is surface rust . Surface rust can cause a condition called spalling or flaking of the bearing material. If spalling occurs it causes the bearing to disintegrate which can lead to debris circulated through the engine causing other parts to fail, this can make them fail also, this is called a cascade failure. For example, the bearing fails, the bearing pieces float around inside the crankcase and get into the connecting rod bearing surface which causes it to fail which in turn leads to the connecting rod breaking and being thrown against the crankcase wall breaking it.
Result, expensive engine destroyed because of a bearing that only cost a few dollars and are relatively easy to change.
This Ilearned in college while taking a Diesel Mechanics course. In the automotive industry bearings are taken very seriously , wheel bearing fails on steering axle, truck looses control and smashes into a bus load of kids.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
spaceworm

Even with no rust, congealed or hardened oil or storage fluids can cause the balls to be stuck and skid instead of roll at the start up after long storage. This results in flat spots on the balls and wear on the cages and can cause failure of the bearing. After storing, and before starting the engine up, insure than the balls are in fact rolling and not skidding in their races. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
jstrach

Ihave in fact ordered replacement bearings for OSMax SF.46 and will attempt to replace them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.