Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Spray Bar alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spray Bar alignment

ORIGINAL: Kweasel
Our rotating barrel carbs lose fuel draw at part throttle, the venturi effect is lost as the barrel closes.
On the contrary, an engine without the airbleed, or a metering slit in the barrel, will run too rich at low throttle settings.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Campgems

Kwesal, I have no intention in modifying the spray bar, just changing is orientation to the air flow. The regrind of the cam grove in the barrel is not something I would attempt at this point. This isn't an effort to get an engine running well, but rather to gather information on how the barrel carbs reacts to different orientation of the spray bars. Pure curiosity at this point.

Don
Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Our rotating barrel carbs lose fuel draw at part throttle, the venturi effect is lost as the barrel closes.
On the contrary, an engine without the airbleed, or a metering slit in the barrel, will run too rich at low throttle settings.
If the fuel draw remained constant the mixture would become increasingly richer as the airflow decreased. Fuel draw and airflow decreases as the barrel is closed. A fuel slot or air bleed fine tune the mixture. Part throttle draw is improved by opening the bottom of the barrel more than the top.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I know that the best way to rescue a flight when the engine leans at full throttle is to quickly cut the throttle and the engine will pick right back up, every time.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Campgems

If the fuel draw remained constant the mixture would become increasingly richer as the airflow decreased. Fuel draw and airflow decreases as the barrel is closed.
My quote from the Walbro service manual
"Since the barrel restricts the air flow both before and after the main nozzle, the main nozzle is always acted upon by the same amount of vacuum, essentially a variable venturi."

and

"The advantage of the barrel valve design is the it provides for a very even air/fuel mixture thoughout all throttle settings."

These comments from Walbro seem to contradict your comment.

A fuel slot or air bleed fine tune the mixture. Part throttle draw is improved by opening the bottom of the barrel more than the top.
Measurements on a Saito, ST, and Walbro barrel carbs seem to also contradict this statement. The openings were symmetrical top to bottom.

Don
Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Kweasel

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

I know that the best way to rescue a flight when the engine leans at full throttle is to quickly cut the throttle and the engine will pick right back up, every time.
Thats true if the carb is too big for the application, they usually are given the large props and poorly mounted fuel tanks that are all too common today. When the carb is correctly sized the opposite will occure.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

On Super Tiger you point the fuel nipple at the rear mount bolt hole not the slit, and you won't have any problems with them. Works on every one of their 2 strokes every time.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Kweasel

ORIGINAL: Campgems

If the fuel draw remained constant the mixture would become increasingly richer as the airflow decreased. Fuel draw and airflow decreases as the barrel is closed.

My quote from the Walbro service manual
''Since the barrel restricts the air flow both before and after the main nozzle, the main nozzle is always acted upon by the same amount of vacuum, essentially a variable venturi.''

and

''The advantage of the barrel valve design is the it provides for a very even air/fuel mixture thoughout all throttle settings.''

These comments from Walbro seem to contradict your comment.

A fuel slot or air bleed fine tune the mixture. Part throttle draw is improved by opening the bottom of the barrel more than the top.
Measurements on a Saito, ST, and Walbro barrel carbs seem to also contradict this statement. The openings were symmetrical top to bottom.

Don
What they are telling you and what I have measured is acurate only when the total area is very large. This may work for demand regulators but not so well with the typical RC suction carb. I can always get higher draw from a smaller carb at full throttle than at part throttle.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that hasn't bin mentioned is the positive pressure of the fuel going to the carb from the tank being pressurized from the muffler tap.
I'm sure this adds to the mix as well.
Jeff
Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Actually ST's aren't too bad without it of all the glow 2 strokes if the spray bar is right. Although the pressure is the best way to go unless you use a perry pump.