The End is Near!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The End is Near!

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/110501/

Actually I thought this would have happened at least 6-7 years ago.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The End is Near!

Whatever sells works. I'll never leave glow.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
goirish

I need someone to translate for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK OS how about a couple of nice diesels nowthen you have it all covered martin
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My very brief experience with "Electrics" has shown me that "Electrics" go from Brand New to Well Used extremely fast. Even if its still in the unopened package...

With an engine you can at least look at it and turn it over a few times and get an idea of how it will run.

You can still get $50 for a 10-20 year old glow engine...

I'll continue to fly Glow. I can have a lot of fun with a good 40-60 size model and a gallon of fuel.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/110501/

Actually I thought this would have happened at least 6-7 years ago.

Good luck to them, there are just a few other companies out there who have a head start of at least 6-7 years or so.[&:] They are very late to the game.

I'm sure the O.S. name carries a lot of marketing weight in the R/C industry, but who knows if the motors will actually live up to the name printed on the case?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, it had to be coming. Bet they will be pricey.

I am going to mix. Finishing a Seriorita EP with 670W brushless motor, my first electric. Friends at the field fly them and they fly great. Very smooth.

But it will never top the sound of my Sr. Telemaster with 90 twin 4 cycle doing a slow fly by. Kind of almost makes me pee my pants with aeronautical joy.

Tom
Old 05-10-2011, 05:24 PM
spaceworm

Actually Super Tigre did it some time ago, after they moved from Italy. []

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OS is real big in marketing so it doesn't seem to far off for them to take advantage of it. The marketers have decided they can make money with their own line of electric motors. But I am surprised they waited so long to get into electrics. Now they ought to be fairly good though, maybe expensive, but a lot better quality control and better motors overall. Unless they get them made in China for their brand.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Motorboy

Money! In case the sale of the glow plug engines goes down, then the electric motor is a business.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 PM
DarZeelon

MVVS was the precursor, some 2-3 years ago.

Their main line of small engines - up to .91 power and all electric, is [link=http://www.mvvs.cz/elektromotory_e.html]right here[/link].

22V @ 70A is 1,540W of power, just over 2 real HP, which is about what a good, muffler-equipped, two-stroke .91 (or a four-stroke 1.30-1.55) engine is capable of making in reality (not the nonsense its manufacturer claims).

Prepare to phase-out and remain 'the cult of glow-engine users'...

What remains in MVVS stock of glow-engines [link=http://www.mvvs.cz/glow%20engines.html]is this[/link], most of which is, I believe, past production stock; not current.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

MVVS was the precursor, some 2-3 years ago.

Their main line of small engines - up to .91 power and all electric, is [link=http://www.mvvs.cz/elektromotory_e.html]right here[/link].

22V @ 70A is 1,540W of power, just over 2 real HP, which is about what a good, muffler-equipped, two-stroke .91 (or a four-stroke 1.30-1.55) engine is capable of making in reality (not the nonsense its manufacturer claims).

Prepare to phase-out and remain 'the cult of glow-engine users'...

What remains in MVVS stock of glow-engines [link=http://www.mvvs.cz/glow%20engines.html]is this[/link], most of which is, I believe, past production stock; not current.
How's that working out for them...? Get a lot of orders for MVVS electric motors? Hobby King sells electrics for next to nothing and if I were to buy an electric "anything" I'd have to go with the least expensive option as their worth drops like a rock no matter what the brand name.

If MVVS was the only glow-engine manufacturer we'd be in trouble. Thankfully they're not.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

If MVVS was the only glow-engine manufacturer we'd be in trouble. Thankfully they're not.
BW,

As I wrote in the past, I no longer actively sell any MVVS items.
I only obtain some replacement items for past customers.

It seems from Greg's first post that OS; which can arguably be described as the world's most prominent manufacturer of glow engines, seem to have taken the same route as MVVS.
OS also discontinued (i.e. not replaced) some of their glow models, in the last few years.

Do you still feel as safe?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

I understand some are going back to glow because of cost and battery issues. Most will keep some electrics I suppose. I suspect that OS would be hurt the most, as the beginners flock to them. Specialty markets such as Jett would hardly be affected.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Mr Cox

Same old story, electric motors have been around since the 80-ties but I've never understood why anyone would like to remove the fun part...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM
gkamysz

I know glow engine sales were down tremendously over 5 years ago when I worked in the industry. I'm sure it's part of the reason new engines from major manufacturers cost more, volume is down. In 2005 we discussed why OS had not gotten into gasoline and electric yet.

I think the main reason electric resale value is low, is due to the cheap imports. Why spend extra money on a used motor (even if it's a highly regarded brand) when a new one is so cheap? Most electric flyers are newbs and have no idea what is good and what isn't, so import stuff that works semi-respectably sets the price point. Glow engines are no different. Why spend almost double the money on a new OS engine when a so-so Sanye works almost as well? For resale of engines things are different as most of the users are aware that the name brands do carry value and there is no shortage of those that will pay a decent price for a Japanese engine.

I think glow will be around for a very long time. The only thing to expect is a price increase.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Heck it's the battery's that cost so much, and they don't last very long compared to transmitter and reciever batteries.  When resaleing you are practically giving the battries away, because the owner fingures they are likely used up.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Heck it's the batteries that cost so much; and they don't last very long compared to transmitter and reciever batteries. When reselling you are practically giving the batteries away, because the owner figures they are likely used up.
Hugh,

The batteries no longer cost very much, if you source them from where most brushless electric motors are sourced, i.e. the Far East.

A 2200 3S pack that will power a .25 size glow model, will cost you [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7636]under $11[/link]; and will last 100-200 flights...

That is, each flight will cost you 13-27 US cents. Try that with a .25 engine sucking glow fuel; and don't forget cleanup costs after flying...

There is profound, economic logic in going to electric power, in small-medium models.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Heck it's the batteries that cost so much; and they don't last very long compared to transmitter and reciever batteries. When reselling you are practically giving the batteries away, because the owner figures they are likely used up.
Hugh,

The batteries no longer cost very much, if you source them from where most brushless electric motors are sourced, i.e. the Far East.

A 2200 3S pack that will power a .25 size glow model, will cost you [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7636]under $11[/link]; and will last 100-200 flights...

That is, each flight will cost you 13-27 US cents. Try that with a .25 engine sucking glow fuel; and don't forget cleanup costs after flying...

There is profound, economic logic in going to electric power, in small-medium models.
I don't fly .25 sized birds so those costs would be about triple. And I don't think anyone can get those batteries to last 200 flights unless they always oversize the battery, and never get them hot. So far they only last about a dozen flights for me. But I understand that isn't typical.

Fuel for a .25 would be about 6 ounces per flight at $12 per gallon $12 * 6/128 = $.56. But if I mix my own fuel that is almost half. Throw in the batteries lasting maybe 50 flights, the higher cost of the electric ARF and throw in the Windex for glow fuel and I figure I am better off.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 AM
hsukaria

Heck it's the battery's that cost so much, and they don't last very long compared to transmitter and reciever batteries. When resaleing you are practically giving the battries away, because the owner fingures they are likely used up.
And with LiPo's, you hope that the seller did not abuse them so that they don't end up catching on fire in your house! I bought some decent LiPo's from a reputable guy 3 years ago and they lasted 2 years, what I expected really. Not like an engine that you can keep forever if you keep taking good care of it. LiPo's (and other batteries) have a limited life, no getting around that.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoy fly both "E" power and glow power. The ease of flying electrics is the draw for me. I put a battery in, turn it on and fly. Clean up is also easy. I have from the 8 ounce foamy to a 60 sized Goldberg Sky Tiger clone. The only reason I have the 60 sized is the batteries 6s 5000mah 20c cost $50.00 each.

I have my glow planes. Nothing better then the smell of castor oil in the cool morning. I have a Cox Black Widow powered 2 channel plane I still enjoy flying around. Easy as pie to fly. My Super Chipmunk has a .91 fs engine, the sound of the fa glow engine is just so nice, never give that up.

Will I go completely electric, not if I can still have both. Yet, flying a micro "E" powered plane in the house is just too fun. Would never try to fly glow in side

Buzz.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 AM
MetallicaJunkie

electric motors[:'(] belong on foamies .................. gas/nitro all the way for me
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lekky's = booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooring............
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I guess thats how folks felt when they invented the airplane in the first place.the negatives on this thread dont make me mad I just shake my head and laugh .os is seeing the future and understanding that a large segment of rc pilots enjoy electric flight as well as gas.there are advantages to both but I am increasingly enjoying electric 3d.the comments about lipos are so backwards and only shows ignorance.I dont own any nitro motors except os and satio 4 strokes.and in place of my nitro I have gone with the dle20 gas.I flew glow engines for more than 30 years and likely will have a couple of 4strokes for my warbirds but in general I have moved to electrics and in spite of the negativity there are lots and lots of electric planes and it would be nice if os works out althought its a little late getting on the band wagon/..
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
gkamysz

I'm also amused by the negativity toward electric. Unfortunately there are locations where access to a fuel flying site is unavailable or impractical.

If you lost your flying site and had to fly electric, would you give up flying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.