Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

I want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread for making me feel normal. I have a few two stroke glow engines, a couple of four stroke glow engines and a two stroke petrol engine. They go back and forth between different planes depending on what mood I'm in. Sometimes an engine stays on the same plane for months, and sometimes I only fly a couple of times before changing engines again. Irrational? Probably. Fun? Absolutely.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Lets see... Cox Engines, Two strokes from .010 to .91, Four Stroke engines from .53 to 1.60, Gas engines from Zenoah 23 to DA 50, and Turbine Engines from 80 newtons to 160 newtons....

Every conceivable type from remote carb, pressure carb, injected, and pumped. Fixed wing engines, Helicopter engines, Boat engines....

Tuned pipe, open stack, bypassed, and stright exhaust.....

Engines o plenty!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: tiffitech

Someone owned a Wankel?

Regards,

Holm

Yes, I have one, a OS 2nd generation PI model.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:48 PM
mike109

G'day Sandal. Thanks to you and everyone else for posting on this thread. I feel much better now.

I also like to swap engines around. Somehow it is fun to pull and engine out, put an engine in and see what differences it makes.

My most recent "engine swap" was Saito 72 to Saito 62. The model is a Black Horse Spacewalker. I put the 72 in thinking that for a 40 class engine, a 72 would be necessary but the plane just did not feel right and the 72 was never really happy in it. So out it came and the 62 (which is quite a bit smaller to look at) dropped straight in (Saitos from 45 to 82 have the same mounting pattern and this makes swapping them quite easy). The result was great. It does have slightly less power but the model flies much better and is easier to land.

Some time back I tried three engines in the same plane in three days. It is a Sig Mid Star 40. I think I started with a Thunder tiger 54. It was not happy so next day I tried a Chinese 52 but again it did not feel right. Eventually I put an OS 52 in and it was perfect and stayed there for a year but recently I pulled it out and put it in a Sig Kadet Mk 2 where it currently resides.

Keep up the good work engine lovers.

Mike in Oz

Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was devoted to small engines for a long time...a .15 was my big engine. Then I got a .91 ASP 2 stroke, and an OS 70 four stroke, and now I have more of a mix. Still lots of little ones, but mostly .09 to .30...I think I'm probably done with .049s now.

I sort of skipped over the .46 phase, I guess. Did diesels awhile, stopped, but last year had great fun with a PAW .40, so now I'm back into diesels. I started flying with four strokes the last couple of years and might get more into that, but I still love my 2 strokes.

Lots of ways to enjoy engines. Biggest change for me is that I've gotten more interested in the engines themselves, rather than just as a way to fly a model.

Jim
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam trying to get some air time on all my engines to give me a feel for them. I have been known to swap engines on on one airframe 6 times in a season.
Iused to buy and sell engines and stuff on Ebay full time so Iwent through a lot of engines , testing , fixing etc.
Istill have yet to fly anything bigger than a .60.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I've been an all glow kinda guy. Two strokes and Four. My beginnings were humble with the Cox .049. My range right now is from .09 to 1.20

I don't really have a need for gasoline powered. My snowmobiles take care of my 2 stroke gas powered needs (obsessions)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 PM
CustomPC

ORIGINAL: mike109

I also like to swap engines around. Somehow it is fun to pull and engine out, put an engine in and see what differences it makes.

My most recent ''engine swap'' was Saito 72 to Saito 62.
I'm with you there Mike.

My favourite plane is a Great Planes Big Stik and, apart from the fact that it's a great flying model, i love it because it's the perfect platform for engine swaps and testing. That plane has had an OS .72a, Enya .61CX, Enya .45 SS Ringed and now has a Saito.62

The Saito .62 is a strong little engine and pulls the .46 sized Big Stik with plenty of authority. It actually makes better sense than a .72 or .82 which are often touted as ideal for .46 sized models.
Depending on my mood I switch between a 12x6 for thrust and slower speeds or an 11x8 for a bit of speed. The Bolly clubman 11.5x7 makes an excellent compromise between them.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like many folks, my first engines were non Cox throw away engines from crashed Christmas present models. I also received Wen-Mac engines in RTF planes. Wish I still had the Corsair and P-38 that my parents gave me.

Later, on through trading and saving my lunch money, I managed to buy a Fox .15 and a McCoy .35 silver case AYSC engines. After that it was OS, K&B, HB, Enya, etc. Mostly by accident and seldom by design, was there any order to the purchases once I was in R/C.

I'm going to have to inventory all of my stuff soon. Now, if I could find someone with enough money to offer me $.20 on the dollar of what I have invested. I would be happy.

Ed Cregger

***I'm speaking rhetorically above. Those with a real interest can contact me via PM***
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

WElll

cr*ppy jap gows (Fuji .15 Mk III)

OS

20 year break ...

PAW diesel (coz I always envied nice diesel owner when I was flying my Fuji)

ASP (eek)

Variety of four strokes. Kept my Laser's ...

BIG Petrol

break ...

Back to two stroke glows ... liking MVVS ...

Now back to diesel ... my first love ... why did we ever part?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 AM
mike109

G'day and thanks for replying to the thread.

Well my Enya Period is very strong at the moment. Having bought (from eBay) two Enyas recently and one new one from a dealer. The eBay pair were a 41 4c diesel (which is still waiting to see fuel), an older CX 45 and a brand new SS45 (ring). The CX got a run a couple of weeks ago and seemed to run really well for an old engine. I have deliberately slightly over propped it with a 11.5 x 5 Bolly and with that prop I yesterday flew my brand new kit built Sig Somethin' Extra. The old Enya was great in it and the model flew really well. It currently has a bodged up Super Tigre Muffler but I have just ordered a new "proper" muffler for it from Enya. I suspect it will be the same as the one on the SS45.

The new engine saw fuel for the first time today. Two 2.5 minute (or so) runs on an 11 x 6 APC with 25% castor, 10% nitro and methanol. After a prime and a choke I fitted the plug driver and turned it over. It gave a gentle bump so I flicked it and it started right up. After a short wet run on an Enya #4 plug I cooled it completely and then repeated the process. I will keep doing this and gradually lean it for at least half an hour. It feels like it has very little compression at the moment but it starts and runs perfectly. I think this one is a keeper.

Cheers

Mike from Oz