Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. carb to fit Magnum .61 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:08 PM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. carb to fit Magnum .61 XLS

I am in the looking for an O.S. carb that will fit a Magnum .61 XLS. Since Magnum engines seem to be O.S. clones, I am supposing that there is an O.S. carb that will "drop in" to the Magnum with little or no modifications.

???????????????????????????????????????
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: O.S. carb to fit Magnum .61 XLS

The OS 61FX carb should fit
Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
KLXMASTER14

Thank you. That is what I suspected, but I wanted to verify.

Best regards,
Robert
Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert,

The problem is the cost...

The ASP .61XLS, is indeed a clone of the OS.61FX.

It is the same engine as is the Magnum; both made by Sanye in Shenzhen, China, differing only in external features (name-tag).

A [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCA63&P=7]carburettor[/link] for the OS.61FX, costs about as much as you would be asked, for a complete ASP .61XLS engine in some markets.
This ASP .61 ABC two-stroke engine, has lately become rather scarce; with the .91XLS costing about the same to produce, yet netting under one "Andrew Jackson" more to buy.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OS carb costs as much if not more than the Magnum engine cost, unless you get lucky and find a used one.
Why do you need a OS carb for your Magnum engine?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
KLXMASTER14

Cuz:

1. I got it for less than you think.

2. The carb that I have is jacked up and needs replacing. So I will upgrade simultaneously.

3. The engine rips *****, and is neatly installed in the nose of the plane.

4. Cuz I want to. That's why we call it a "hobby".

People like to rip on my Magnum. That is until they see my (old school) pattern plane rip across the sky. They ask "What do you have in the nose of that thing?" The look on their faces when I tell them it is a $100 engine- Priceless.

-Robert
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM
KLXMASTER14

In case you think I am yanking you:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448239

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457310

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1353785&page=3 (post 34 & 36)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM
earlwb

No problem. I was curious. If you got a good deal on it and the old one is broken, then go for it and enjoy.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14
People like to rip on my Magnum. That is until they see my (old school) pattern plane rip across the sky. They ask ''What do you have in the nose of that thing?'' The look on their faces when I tell them it is a $100 engine- Priceless.
-Robert

In fact you could tell them it`s a 59$ engine http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dle_Valve.html

I have had great luck with many of the ASP/Magnums too, great bang for the buck[8D]
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

The Sanye engines just keep getting better and better. It is rare to see a clunker out the box these days.

I just checked out am ASP .70 four stroke, serious improvement in fits and finish over the four strokes they made in the '90's.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: earlwb

No problem. I was curious. If you got a good deal on it and the old one is broken, then go for it and enjoy.

No problem at all, my friend. Here's the nuts-and-bolts: The engine is in a Hanger 9 Phoenix 7. This excellent aircraft has an issue with the tank being too high. Consequently, when inverted and/or pulling (pushing?) negative "G"s, the tank is now low, and the engine tends to lean out a bit. This condition is made worse by the fact that the Mag carb barrel has a lot of side to side play in the carb body. Under negative "G" loads, the barrel may push towards the main needle, further leaning the mixture as the idle needle pushes further into the spray bar.

The O.S. carbs use a slot that is milled at a constant depth, so the barrel tracks very accurately thoughout it's range, with little slop. The Mag carb on the other hand uses a simple slot, which allows for a fair bit of play due to the geometry of the retaining screw. Cheaper and easier to manufacture, but sloppy. I have another similar aircraft with the same engine, and the tank is bang-on the centerline, therefore the stock carb is not a detriment in this installation.

So the O.S. carb is an effort to further mitigate the less than ideal set up in the P-7.

-Robert
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 AM
earlwb

Oh yeah, I remember that. I  put in a stronger spring to solve that barrel movement problem. I made a slightly wider tipped screw for the sloppy barrel slot too. But then the OS carb is pretty good, so since you have one, it probably isn't worth the effort to fix the Magnum carb. Usually the Chinese were putting on carbs with the intake bore being a little too large, thus the engines had to maintain higher RPMs to get decent fuel draw. I remember going with smaller bore carb to solve fuel draw problems too. I haven't tried making a throttle barrel with a smaller bore yet, I need to try that one of these days.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:16 AM
VinceinOhio

Default Update to this thread

Just in case anybody else ever searches this thread - the OS 61FX manual states that the engine uses a 60c carb. The OS 60c carb does NOT fit a Magnum 61XLS engine. I can confirm that because I tried it based on this thread(and now have a nice 60c carb and a nice Magnum 61 paperweight).
Old 08-07-2023, 03:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceinOhio
Just in case anybody else ever searches this thread - the OS 61FX manual states that the engine uses a 60c carb. The OS 60c carb does NOT fit a Magnum 61XLS engine. I can confirm that because I tried it based on this thread(and now have a nice 60c carb and a nice Magnum 61 paperweight).
Just in case someone searches this thread, could you verify the neck size of the 60C carburetor and the inlet size of the Magnum .61?