Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower Engine Muffler

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
darrzemp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Engine Muffler

Hi - I have a friend without computer knowledge who needs a muffler for a Tower .61 ABC Engine. Muffler is setup like the older Italian Super Tigers. Screws go into engine instead of the Muffler. Tower is out of parts and doesn't know when they will be available. Anyone out there with a muffler to be purchased? He's a really good retired guy and I'm trying to help. Or do I need to go to another forum to place this notice. If anything is available please state price etc. so I can relay the info. [/size]

Thanks - Darryl
Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Tower Engine Muffler

This may not get you to a muffler but if you can find a muffler with the right dimensions on the port and screws, you can drill out the threads in the newer style muffler and put the bolt through the muffler into the engine block.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
estradajae

Just Engines have a muffler that is almost identical to the tower muffler may work, but I´m not sure if the muffler is bolt-thru or not.

Write to Jenny at Just engines and she may help you out.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a MAC's Muffler to fit.
http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp

Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

your better off with a mac's muff. the thunder tiger, or super tigre 55......75 might fit. call mac's and get the bolt spaceing. or go to tower and look at mac's pipes. they give you the bolt space on there mac's muffler. these are called piece pipe mufflers. the black ones .they work very good and are more streamlinded that os type or super mufflers. there not that costly either. put 5 min epoxy on the muffler flange,and red locktite # 271 on the bolts before installing. let it set overnite, before starting the engine. use just enough epoxy to coat the flange,don't slop it on. wipe the excess that squeezes out ,off with alky. the muff will stay on for months of flying this way............RON . remember that old saying........no muff's to tough.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 AM
estradajae

Most of the mufflers suggested (i. e Macs) may compromise performance on the tower engine, since the original muffler is quite large and gives a special boost. The JustEngines muffler I told you is basically the same volume and shape, but as I said, I´m not sure if they are bolt on or bolt through.

I´m also pretty sure the muffler from the O.S engines or thunder tiger is not a direct fit, since the tower has a slightly different bolt spacing (if memory serves well) and is also bolt through, on the other hand, I think the super tigre muffler for the 75 or 91 fits this and they can be set to be bolt through, since they come with a flange that supports a nut, where the others not.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....yep, that Mac's muffler would be the last resort. It will cause overheating in
that engine. Try to find another Tower muffler if you can.

FBD.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I typically fabricate bridge adapters to adapt mufflers for some of my engines. I have made a number of the adapters for my purposes already.
You don't need a lot of fancy tools to make these either. A set of files, hacksaw, and a drill (although a drill press is better).

here is where I made a bridge adapter so I could use a Performance specialties (aka Nelson) tuned muffler on a Fox Eagle IV .60 engine. it is a real screamer and powerhouse like this as the stock muffler is very restrictive. A Rossi .61 doesn't run any better than this setup with the same muffler and prop even. the muffler was made for a OS .61SF type of engine. Using two pieces of metal allows you to drill the holes for the different bolt spacings to fit properly. In some cases one only needs once piece of metal if the holes don't interfere with each other.

here is my Rossi .61 with a Bridge adapter for the same muffler.

here is where I made an adapter to fit a old K&B muffler onto a old early version Fox .45 engine, where the bolt holes are about 2mm closer together than on the models that followed it.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

you may be right on the overheating issue of the mac's muffler. they have been tested on other engines and listed. maybe that's way they don't have tower hobbies engines listed. they work pretty good on other engines i have ,and have seen. don't know much about tower hobbies engines myself. i really like tower hobbies though. they are one of the best hobby places to buy from IMHO......RON
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a used muffler in stock....but I can't guarantee the performance.
It was working very well before it contacted the Earth. [X(]

This is how I picked it up off the ground, I didn't stage this. [:@]

FBD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37862.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1647922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63180.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1647923  
Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 PM
OUHOZER
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Darryl,
I have a new one that I will let go.
Just P.M. Me and We can set it up.
H.
P S It's for a Tower .75
Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
maxtenet

Go to Jett engines . they have the muffler that tower originally copied. Will give plenty of power.

http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/jettstream.html

Max
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tower didnt copy the jett muffler.

the Jett muffler is a 1/4 wave tuned muffler.
The tower is just a normal muffler but with more volume.

niether of the mufflers above will give you more power than the engine already has IE open exhaust.

The Jett mufflers in a few engines will give more than open exhaust.