Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Stass's 42 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stass's 42 engine

Does anyone know anything at all about these engines? All I know is that they were made in Russia and that's only because it's got "Russia" cast into the crankcase on the other side to where it says "Stass's" in the photos . In all my internet searching all I can find is an ad from Carlson Engine Imports and another from MECOA where they both have the side exhaust version for sale. The [link=http://www.rojobcn.com/technic/avion/stass7.htm]JM Rojo[/link] collection has a photo of the SE version but no information at all about it unlike the other engines in his massive collection.

It's interesting that the RE version is apparently CL specific in that it doesn't use a pinch bar method and the photo shows the venturi that came with mine but no spray bar was fitted (probably lost because I got it from Ebay). Both engines however were brand new although the SE was so badly made I haven't dared try running it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13312.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1655507  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stass's 42 engine

.....Hi ! ....Didya' Miss me ?

FBD.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 AM
controlliner

The SE version almost looks like a Profi minus the plastic parts
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I learned all i know about them from you downunder.
and MECOA had the statement that they are collector engines, so I doubt even MECOA expects anyone to actually run or use them.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I think I learned all i know about them from you downunder.
and MECOA had the statement that they are collector engines, so I doubt even MECOA expects anyone to actually run or use them.

The only reason that they made it out of Russia is because they were hopelessly ruined examples.

I agree with the statement that they do resemble Profi engines a bit.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian, something just came to me.

There is a guy who I have spoken to before, bought a Marz 2.5 from and his name is Iya Leydman.  He trades under the name of 'Panaseer' on Ebay in Australia and hails from Canberra - you have probably seen that name many times on Oz Ebay.

Now the thing is that he was the driving force in getting the Marz engines out of Russia (story here - http://modelenginenews.org/ ) and knows quite a bit of what was going on behind the iron curtain.

So if you can bother with the detective work in tracking him down then I am almost positive that he some information to tell or can source it for you.

P.S. Here is Panaseer's Ebay link - http://feedback.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI...&mPg=44&page=2

Good Luck mate.

(To the Mods, if any of this linking is a no go, then please tell me.)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
maxtenet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These engines have gotten an undeserved bad rap. (uneven quality control)I have one and it really susrprised me. i didn't tach it but it runs right up there with many other forty size engines. the carb is small but works well. Don't be afraid to use it ! It is actually a decent engine for the money. I am considering putting one on a Stick airplane for my nephew.

Max
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 PM
downunder

Thanks for some of those tips guys and at the moment it seems that Ilya Leydman may be the best lead for information. Seems he used to operate Macheast from Sydney some time ago and on another forum someone managed to find his phone number in Canberra for me. But to bring you up to date with my sleuthing so far, MECOA said they believed they were made in St. Petersburg, Russia, but weren't 100% sure. Another link to an engine collection that I was referred to listed them under StassStels which simply had a photo of the SE version with no details. So I did a search on Stels which led me to that rather famous [link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm]Cox[/link] web site and the listing for Small Engines. This started with the VA which was superceded by the Stels which bears a remarkable resemblance to the AME which later became the Norvel. All of them were made in St. Petersburg. It seems possible that with all these engines being made in the same city that there may be a link running through from Stass's to Norvel.

Max
Did your engine have an extremely tight pinch? Both my SE and RE versions were unbelievably tight but after much running in the RE is now a delight and has had quite a bit of use in a CL model.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: downunder

Did your engine have an extremely tight pinch? Both my SE and RE versions were unbelievably tight but after much running in the RE is now a delight and has had quite a bit of use in a CL model.
Brian, I am going to be a tease here, did you run it in as per the advice found in another famous thread on this site?

(Runs for cover behind the lounge!)

And yes Macheast was the Iya's trading name many years ago, if you strike out trying to contact him then I suggest PMing 'diesel diehard' on this site as he, Iya and myself help doctor the Marz article on Ron's Model Engine site - Iya seemed very informed about what was going on during the communist days.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
maxtenet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you mention it, the thing did have a really tight pinch at the top. I've only run it a few times but it seems fine now and very easy to start.

Max