Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Galen, You got it! Was the cowl mod just for the exhaust? How much clearance is there around the rockers. Have you measured the weight. This engine / plane combo just might be a knockout! -Tom
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom - There's a good 1/2 " between the cowl and the rockers. The plywood mount ring inside the cowl would not let the cowl slip over the engine. I cut about 8" off the bottom of the ring and it slipped right over. I can rig a way to attach the portion that I cut off to the cowl once it has been slipped over the engine or I might just leave it as it is. It attaches quite solid. The cut out for the exhaust was the only other thing I did. I did weight her and it came to 19.4 ibs. I have two large batteries, the glow plug unit and fuel tank to go. Should be around 22 lbs ready to go. Galen
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Maxam

Galen, Sounds perfect. I bet you will be able to cruse at 1/3 throttle using a 10 to 12" pitch prop. I cannot remember, have you run your engine yet? If it flies like my Robin Hood 99 with the 9-90 in it you will be thrilled. Thanks for the info. -Tom
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Heli-NuBee

OK, Steve, this is your fault! I can't stand it any more so I ordered a 90" BH Corsair today. I'm sure it will be quite a while before I actually build the Corsair because of other projects on the table but at least I now have a goal and direction for my EVO 7-77 engine.

Roger
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Galen, Sounds perfect. I bet you will be able to cruse at 1/3 throttle using a 10 to 12'' pitch prop. I cannot remember, have you run your engine yet? If it flies like my Robin Hood 99 with the 9-90 in it you will be thrilled. Thanks for the info. -Tom
Yes - I have run the engine quite a bit. I'm getting 5000 RPM with a 24X10 prop. I haven't run it since I adjusted the valves but they needed quite a lot of adjusting so I'll probably see an increase in RPM.
By the way , I appreciate you pointing me to this Waco. I think it will be a fun flyer.
Galen
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Galen very nice choice for your Evo 7-77, should be a great flying ship, should have more power than you need-Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM
slskn

thanks RossG,
I am pleased with the performance above my expectation, hope to get many more flights on it.-Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM
slskn

Hey Roger, I Can`t say I am sorry, because you won`t be disappointed in your choice of the Corsair, should be a great War bird, so I will take the blame, all of it!!! -Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
slskn

I was wondering about the bottom two cyl. after setting awhile (over night) the plugs fill up with oil, and before I start the engine for the next flying session I pull them out and clean them out by blowing out the oil and then relighting them with my flight box glo driver, and then put them back in and it runs great after that process, (I have some holes to access the plugs without taking the cowl off), not sure if there is a cure, or, is the oil content I am using too much? 9% right now til the home made stuff is gone and then I will be using the 7% I got at Toledo, any thoughts?-Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Maxam

Steve, You might be overoiling at the end of the flying session. Too much can flood those cylinders. Experience guided me to use the right amount (6-8cc) If there is no hydralic lock just start the engine as I do. I store it upside down, so by the time it is to start I am OK.
-Tom
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Steve,

Thanks for taking the blame - I hope you know that was all tongue in cheek. I love the Corsair and after seeing Kevin's and your videos, I just couldn't wait to order one. The BH Corsair seems to be getting hard to find now and a lot more expensive. I'm not sure that BH is still in business but their Corsair is a nice one. It sounds as though the retracts with the kit need to be discarded and replaced but the plane is solid. I'll test the stock retracts first but everything I read indicates they are of poor quality.

Best wishes and good safe flying!

Roger
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
slskn

Thanks Tom,
I believe you are Right I have been putting 10 to 12 or even 15cc, I guess just to make sure. another question is about how many flights should you fly before oiling the rockers again? 3-4 or 5? the same day? (I understand for the next day) they should be re-oiled, but is 4 or 5 flights in one session OK with only one oiling?-Steve BTW I have been using a good quality ATF (automatic transmission fluid), not sure if that makes a difference or not, but can use any other oil I guess?.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
slskn

the Corsair is Cool, I need to put a little more detailing on mine, my buddy Marshal ( the one in the video) built it did a great job, but I like more detail, if I had to do it over I would use the new Robart Electric retracts, I have 2 other war birds with the Lado electric retracts and they work flawlessly, with no hassles, I really like the electric retracts.-Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Maxam

Steve, A really good oil to use on the rockers is motorcycle chain or chain saw chain oil. It is made to stay stuck on the surfaces rather than being blown off. Works well! I now only oil about every ten flights. Occasionally it is wise to use solvent to clean away the old black oil and put fresh on. Hey you guys don't forget about my BH corsair shown early in the thread. The included retracts are really bad. I am using Lado rs333rb which have recently been strengthened. The protruding rod went from 5mm to 6mm and the gear that turns appears to now be steel. -Tom
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
slskn

Good choice Tom, I thought about the chain saw oil but was not sure, also I have some additive I bought from the Toledo show to help stick to your bearings from Boca bearing co. but I tried some in my fuel and what a mistake I had a real sticky airplane when done flying for the day and was real hard to get off of the covering that I had on it, it was a real mess, I have not used it since, but that is good to know about every 8 to 10 flights thanks. I was about to mention your Corsair also to Roger he should check it out earlier on this thread looks very Cool How many flights do you have on it Tom? -Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Maxam

Steve, I have over 50 flights on that corsair! Way too much fun to fly. The flaps work well and do not balloon the plane when lowered. I do have the servo's on the flaps slowed way down though and they have two positions programmed in. -Tom
Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Heli-NuBee

I had a Hanger 9 Corsair powered by a Zenoah G20 ei with a B&B header and a 15x7 3-blade prop that I flew for several years. That plane was great and had outstanding performance. Last year at our annual War Bird show, the plane decided to self destruct. The left wing broke off completely in a right hand turn. It was a structural failure, nothing broke at the joints but the wing failed at the mid point. The plane was completely destroyed and the engine crank was bent. I had the engine repaired by Ralph Cunningham and it now has a happy home in a Hanger 9 Fokker DVII. However, I still miss my Corsair and Iam looking forward to this new radial powered larger Corsair.

Roger
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

Do the Lado retracts just drop into the BH Corsair or does it take a lot of modification like the Robart retracts?

Thanks, Roger
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
fred985

the R-2800 P&W radial engine made top power near 3000 rpm. the reason for the gear reduction was to keep the prop from going super-sonic. the hugh paddle blade props had to absorb near 3000 hp at full emergincy power and if the prop went super-sonic all that power would go to waste therefore the gear box to slow the prop. the smaller engines such as the r 985 with a hd-30 prop made thier max power around 2300 rpm and that is just below super-sonic tip speed. this is the blatt sound you hear at full power tack off from the full size pratts.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
fred985

atf is for tranmissions not for model engine rockers. use a 50 wgt synthetic motor oil or 90-140 syn gear lube...it sticks to the rockers real well.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Maxam

Roger, They just drop right in!!!! You will need to buy struts too. -Tom
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM
slskn

ORIGINAL: fred985

atf is for tranmissions not for model engine rockers. use a 50 wgt synthetic motor oil or 90-140 syn gear lube...it sticks to the rockers real well.
I know what ATF is for, just did not know if it was any better or worse for lube, as I use it on all my slot car stuff and it works well, but I will use what you suggest sounds like it will work better, thanks for the tip!-Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 AM
slskn

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

Do the Lado retracts just drop into the BH Corsair or does it take a lot of modification like the Robart retracts?

Thanks, Roger
I also have the lado retracts and they are top notch units, never failed me yet!-Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Tom,

Did you use the Lado struts? If so, do you remember what length is needed for the BH 90" Corsair"
Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Heli-NuBee

One other question, what model Lado retract, 333RT or 333RB? I think it is the RB model but I would like to be sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.