Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Hello,

I am interested in the 7-77 glow engine. If we are talking about 20 pounds and 80" ws with a good high pitch prop then what would you say about the 77' potential?
    The airframe is very aerodynamic.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JariV

Hello,

I am interested in the 7-77 glow engine. If we are talking about 20 pounds and 80" ws with a good high pitch prop then what would you say about the 77' potential?
    The airframe is very aerodynamic.
    I'd say it would have a good chance of going into ORBIT...!!!! What plane is it?

FWIW the CMPro 83" 20-22lb Zero flies really well with a Saito 325 or ASP-Magnum 400 and 20 x 10 prop. The 7-77 needs a 22 x 12 - 24 x 10 and is bigger and heavier ....

Regards RossG
    radial1951

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 7-77 is only 4 ounces heavier than the saito 325. The saito is 53cc and the other well obviously 77cc. -Tom My 9-90 had a milestone...flight 100 this week and looks to last another 500!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Maxam

The 7-77 is only 4 ounces heavier than the saito 325. The saito is 53cc and the other well obviously 77cc. -Tom My 9-90 had a milestone...flight 100 this week and looks to last another 500!
    Tom that sounds encouraging on your 100th flight, I have number 14 so far on my 9-99 and running great hope to get at least as much with mine, thanks, also did as you did on draining the oil from the engine after end of day cool down and flushing out the moisture with the after run. -Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a little better luck starting my UMS Evolution 7-77 radial engine today. I followed Tom's suggestion of five blades of choke with the needle valve open two turns. The engine grumbled on the first flip. I continued hand flipping for the next five minutes but no luck. I then put the electric starter to work and she easily roared to life. I notice that there is a huge differance when the glow system is engaged. The engine tends to loose a cylinder at low speed and the microsens system is a bit slow to reset. I ran the first 1/2 gallon of fuel through the engine on several runs. The engine is getting stronger but will need a lot more break in running and low speed jet adjustment. I could not get any after run oil at the local hobby shop so I had to settle for air tool oil to flush the engine after the break in runs.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gents,
    I just spoke with FHS Supply / Red Max fuels; they've been making model fuels since 1969...
    You can still order ANY blend your heart desires from FHS.
    I asked him about the price of 7% oil, 5% nitro, (remainder methanol) radial fuel and the price was $19 - $21 per gallon based on ordering 4 or 5 gallon cases.
    Their fuel is sold in quart bottles.

FHS Supply, Inc.
    244 Bethel Hill Rd.
    PO Box 9
    Clover, SC 29710-0009 USA

Sales: (800) 742-8484
    Tech: (803) 222-7488
    The older I get, the faster I was...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few pictures of the UMS Evolution 7-77 radial engine mounted in a BH Corsair under engine break in procedure.

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30361.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	1791685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78113.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1791686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38978.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	1791687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn31861.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1791688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rc39913.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	1791689  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey RichardGee;

Thanks for that info about Red Max - my experience with ordering fuel delivered to my home is that the shipping is price prohibitive. Shipping companies charge high rates for carrying hazardous materials - however, quart bottles may be exempt from this high cost. Did Red Max give you the shipping costs?

Thanks for your efforts,

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did not ask for a shipping quote to California, but the person I spoke with said that they DO in fact pack the fuel in quart containers to prevent sky-high shipping costs...

For those who want to mix their own fuel, FHS sells straight methanol as well.
    The older I get, the faster I was...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger, Do not be afraid to adjust the low speed needle while the engine is running. Tune to the point of smooth low idle running without the glow heat. Then open the screw about a quarter turn richer for reliability. You know when it is correct when the engine runs at idle and when you accelerate it speeds up without hesitation or slowing down first. You must experiment until you begin "to get"the engine. -Tom A bit of nitro helps greatly with reliability!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen that Horizon Hobby already sells Ritch's Brew fuel. So maybe they will get him to make some radial engine fuel in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj24001.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1792087  
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive been running my Evo 777 on 7% oil 0% nitro.Id like to try a little nitro in the fuel to see if I can get a little more power out of it.If I add 1570 ml of methanol to 1liter of 15% nitro 18% oil fuel will I end up with 5.9% nitro 7% oil?Just want to confirm these numbers. Thanks Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Orion09

Ive been running my Evo 777 on 7% oil 0% nitro.Id like to try a little nitro in the fuel to see if I can get a little more power out of it.If I add 1570 ml of methanol to 1liter of 15% nitro 18% oil fuel will I end up with 5.9% nitro 7% oil?Just want to confirm these numbers. Thanks Pete
    Hi Pete Orion09, to confirm your calcs, your total mix will be 2570ml, of which 150ml is Nitro, and 180ml is Oil.

Sooo, the Nitro is 150 / 2570 = 0.0584 x 100 /1 = 5.8% and the Oil is 180 / 2570 = 0.07 x 100 / 1 = 7%

You might get a touch more power, but I suspect the idle will benefit most. Let us know how it performs.

Regards, RossG
    radial1951

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ross.Will let you know how it goes. Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Making progress with my UMS Evolution 7-77 break-in. The engine is running much stronger now and the idle has improved a great deal. Here is a video of one of the break-in engine runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR0f_...ature=youtu.be

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

Making progress with my UMS Evolution 7-77 break-in. The engine is running much stronger now and the idle has improved a great deal. Here is a video of one of the break-in engine runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR0f_...ature=youtu.be

Roger
    Good job, Roger. Don't they sound great? Mine is still NIB. Must get a round tewit soon.
    Love the nose art. I guess the model had to pose several (many) times for you to get it just right.... :-) Is she available as a decal? (Or only with the plane)

Regards, RossG
    radial1951

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tried the 5.8% nitro fuel yesterday.After warm up I couldnt get over 5200 rpm.Adjusting the high speed jet didnt help.On checking cylinder temps found the bottom cylinder was colder than the rest.Pulled that plug,it would light but changed it anyway.What a difference!6000 rpm.Richened it a bit more and the engine ran great,lots of power.I am going to replace the rest.I have about 5 gal of fuel through it.I think I will change plugs every 5 gal,or am I wasting my money?Also,is everyone using OS F four stroke plugs in the EVO 777.Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete, Pete, pete, Do not change those type F plugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are good for 15 years! Just clean out the one not firing and it will work good as new!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the heads up Maxam.I wasnt sure what the plugs lifespan was.I will make a note to change them in 2027. Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a model E777 at the local hobby shop I want to get for the Flair PT-17 I'm building. I downloaded engine manual and the vagaries and contradictions it contains have kept me from plunking the money down. Has anyone set down a list of specific items to get? For example, do you start out with the McDaniels 477 glow unit for all the hours it's on the test stand or is there some other simpler and cheaper device to use? Do you use sub-c size batteries? that sort of thing. Thanks for the help!

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey radial1951 - the decal came with the plane. Check with Callie graphics (http://www.callie-graphics.com/) they can duplicate almost anything.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

Hey radial1951 - the decal came with the plane. Check with Callie graphics (http://www.callie-graphics.com/) they can duplicate almost anything.

Roger
    Thanks for that Roger. They have a great range, and almost any size. Lots of Warbird art...

Regards, RossG
    radial1951

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerry, These are good engines. I personally do not use any glow driver and my 9-90 has 108 flight on it. No problem using one though. What in the manual is contradictory? -Tom I am also very satisfied with how the 7-70 (older version) flies my 91 inch corsair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maxam…Thanks for replying. Not β€œcontradictions” so much as vagueness and confusion. The manual suggests 1.2 volt Ni-MH or, 1.5 volt Ni-Cd. Doesn’t the voltage difference matter? Battery packs sufficient for 30 minutes running is mentioned: but what size are these batteries; sub-c? AA? D? The LHS has no clue…neither do I.
    More important, there’s no suggestion as to what electrical β€œjunction” devices are available to hook up the harnesses and ensure power distribution during all the hours of break-in. McDaniels units are specified for on-board use, but nothing is mentioned for the bench hook-up.
    This lack of basic information or guidance has me wondering how much more needless time and expense would be expended, flailing around before I could get this beautiful creature running. I’d be appreciative of your thoughts. Thank! Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerry, I prefer niCds. They are more durable and their actual voltage is 1.37V. The glow plugs are 3 amps apiece so 3x7 =21 amps. The connection to the plane I use is a N size plug and socket from radio shack. I have drawn as much as 30 amps for short periods through this connection. The female socket hides well. The battery must have very thick wire to prevent voltage drop. 14 guage is fine. My starting battery is 8 700ma nicads all in parallel. This pack can suppy 50 amps with nearly no voltage drop. You want yellow glow at the plugs, not red. Now 21 amps for an hour or the battery can be 10 amp/hr for a half hour or 5 amp/hr for 15 min assuming they are on all the time which they will not. -Tom

Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast