Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

I have a local chemical company who sells methanol for racing engines, and dilute 1:1 16% oil 15% nitro glow fuel. The engine will run fine on normal fuel like this but will be messy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Maxam

I have a local chemical company who sells methanol for racing engines, and dilute 1:1 16% oil 15% nitro glow fuel. The engine will run fine on normal fuel like this but will be messy.

Getting methanol is my only concern and may drive me towards the os 160 twin. I've found a company that sells methanol and they make all kinds of fuels here in San Antonio. They mention that you should use it in a short period of time (2-3 weeks) and if it is not in a steel drum it will deteriorate quickly. They also talk about different grades of methanol M1,M3 and M5. All this is new to me. Guess I have a lot to learn. I don't mind mixing the fuel so long as I have a reliable source of methanol. Some info here:

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/racing-fuel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have found that r/c car fuel only runs about 9% oil. Would this work?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nd-Six-Gallons

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They also make a touring car fuel with 16% nitro and 9% synthetic/castor. Is castor a no no?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I forgot to mention that I follow maxam's suggestions about using after run oil in my UMS Evolution 777 radial engine. I have not been able to get after run oil locally so I have been using air tool oil and it seems to be working OK. I insert a medium sized siringe of air tool oil in one of the top lifter ports and drain the oil out of one of the lower lifter ports. Of course the lifters and valve push rods have to be removed first. I do this after each day's running. I turn the engine over during the oiling process to ensure that all of the bearing surfaces receive oiling. I also reoiled the valve train after 1-1/2 hours of break-in running. The valve train still seemed to be OK but I wanted to be sure that it was adequately lubricated before the maiden flight. Maxam (Tom) has been invaluable to me in the radial engine learning curve. I can't say thanks enough to him for his help. As far as the fuel thing goes, we are lucky in this area because the local motorcycle shops sell Klotz oil and the speed shop sells methanol. I mixed my own straight methanol and oil at 10% for break-in. I then took Omega 10% nitro fuel with 18% oil from the LHS and mixed it with one half methanol to end up with 5% nitro and 9% oil for flying. That seems to be the easiest way to get a good fuel mix for me.

Roger the Radial Rabbit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

I forgot to mention that I follow maxam's suggestions about using after run oil in my UMS Evolution 777 radial engine. I have not been able to get after run oil locally so I have been using air tool oil and it seems to be working OK. I insert a medium sized siringe of air tool oil in one of the top lifter ports and drain the oil out of one of the lower lifter ports. Of course the lifters and valve push rods have to be removed first. I do this after each day's running. I turn the engine over during the oiling process to ensure that all of the bearing surfaces receive oiling. I also reoiled the valve train after 1-1/2 hours of break-in running. The valve train still seemed to be OK but I wanted to be sure that it was adequately lubricated before the maiden flight. Maxam (Tom) has been invaluable to me in the radial engine learning curve. I can't say thanks enough to him for his help. As far as the fuel thing goes, we are lucky in this area because the local motorcycle shops sell Klotz oil and the speed shop sells methanol. I mixed my own straight methanol and oil at 10% for break-in. I then took Omega 10% nitro fuel with 18% oil from the LHS and mixed it with one half methanol to end up with 5% nitro and 9% oil for flying. That seems to be the easiest way to get a good fuel mix for me.

Roger the Radial Rabbit

How much do they charge for the methanol?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skypup50

They also make a touring car fuel with 16% nitro and 9% synthetic/castor. Is castor a no no?

I don't think 100% of the oil being castor is recommended. I'd be concerned about valve deposits eventually keeping them from closing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buy the purest methanol (99.9%) pure. It will keep for months in a plastic sealed container. Going bad in two weeks is ridiculous.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

I don't think 100% of the oil being castor is recommended. I'd be concerned about valve deposits eventually keeping them from closing.

They are actually saying castor/synthetic but don't give the ratio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buy the purest methanol (99.9%) pure. It will keep for months in a plastic sealed container. Going bad in two weeks is ridiculous.
    I'll need to find a source. How much are you paying for the methanol?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With a credit card! I just drive up th the methanol pump and buy like gasoline!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most dragster guys have it i thier shop. The dragstrip will have it.

I have recently found it on the shelf prepackaged at the Oilfield Supply store. In my area there is a store called "Jett" they probably have one by you too since most of the oilfield has moved south.

Its 99.6 percnt pure I believe if not better. If I remember its about 45 bucks for a 5 gallon jug.
    AMA# 134406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is Minnesota. Around here, dragster guys are people who buy ladies clothes at the crossover shop.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

Most dragster guys have it i thier shop. The dragstrip will have it.

I have recently found it on the shelf prepackaged at the Oilfield Supply store. In my area there is a store called ''Jett'' they probably have one by you too since most of the oilfield has moved south.

Its 99.6 percnt pure I believe if not better. If I remember its about 45 bucks for a 5 gallon jug.
    Thanks. Tried there and no answer. Still looking. Thanks for the help. I'm not sure if depending on someone to sell this stuff is a good thing when spending $1100.00 on an engine. It kind of scares me. The OS 160 twin would run on stuff I actually have on hand and is easy to get. Any other alternatives? How about denatured alcohol? The radial would be sooo cool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try your local petrol jobbers . thats where i found some out here ,5 gal. for $36.00
    ____________AIRSPEED IS LIFE_____________

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found a source. VP fuels is within an hour of my home and would be willing to sell a 5 gallon container. What brand fuel are you guys mixing with it? Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My gosh folks, I get it for 4$ a gallon! Thank you Jefferson chemicals on the south side of Indianapolis! Sorry you have such a struggle to get the stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm wondering what to do initially for bench running my 7-35 next month? In terms of electrical power requirements should I get a 7 cylinder Macdaniels system from the get go or just build a 1.2 volt pack? After break in the engine will not be used until my scale model is complete.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skypup. Please read the earlier posts. I have provided much info that will help you. -Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skypup. Please read the earlier posts. I have provided much info that will help you. -Tom

I already have. Great memory! I'll go back and read again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BeasleyBunch

Joel, looks like we were running the same errands today!Β* I stopped by Hyperfuels and picked up a gallon of 99.95% methanol.Β* Also placed an order for the after-run Blue Block…thanks Tom and Pete for that one!Β* And used some scrap lumberΒ*to build, what I think, is a bullet proof engine stand.Β* For size reference, that’s a 12 inch ruler attached to the square.Β* Still have to finish the platform for the fuel tank, mounting configΒ*and misc other items...

I'm glad to find out about hyperfuels. I can order smaller quantities and not have to drive from San Antonio to Houston and back. It's worth the shipping charges in fuel and time! Wasn't quite sure what to do with the extra methanol if I was required to buy 5 gallons. Great find.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom

If I make up a nicad pack for testing my engine, what connection do I need on the battery to mate with the engine harness? Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First you need to make a battery pack that can dump 40 amps such three 3.5 amp hour nicads in parallel and use 12 or 13 gauge wire. I like the type N concentric connector and socket from radio shack. Keep wires short and thick!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First you need to make a battery pack that can dump 40 amps such three 3.5 amp hour nicads in parallel and use 12 or 13 gauge wire. I like the type N concentric connector and socket from radio shack. Keep wires short and thick!
    Thanks. I'm trying to understand what the end of the cylinder ignition harness looks like when you get the engine? Does it have a battery connector installed? Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has banana plugs

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast