Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
skypup50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

ORIGINAL: Maxam

It has banana plugs
So you remove the bannana plugs and use plugs of your choice? I like EC3 plugs and they can carry the amps. Would that work?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

There are seven wires, one for each plug, that all terminate in a big ole banana plug. The business end of each wire has a spring clip that attaches well enough to an OS plug. You can change out the banana plug for whatever works with the rest of your equipment - Deans ultra plugs, for example.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 AM
pappy 883
My Feedback: (2)

I like the Deans connector , its the same as the plug on my battery charger.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 AM
skypup50

thanks...good to know.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 AM
skypup50

I've found a very informative multi part article which gives a lot of understanding on air cooled engines/radials. Thought I would share:

http://www.enginehistory.org/air-coo...inders_1.shtml
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM
skypup50

Is the great planes military Stearman too small for the 7-35? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ49kyulIec
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice combo and has been posted here two or three times-Tom
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Nice combo and has been posted here two or three times-Tom
I saw a small pic but didn't recall seeing any details. I'm trying to find out if the 7-35 will fit under the Great Planes Waco bipe cowl with no issues. I have the 1/5 Pica to build but the Waco would take a long time to build. I know it will fit the Pica but don't want to assume the same for the Great Planes Waco. I like your Robinhood 99 combo. A test bed plane of some sort with two piece wings would be ideal for me. This looks promising too:

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/farcai26onor.html
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: skypup50

Skypup, your question about the GP Stearman has two parts to it. First, is the power developed by the engine appropriate for the airframe. Secondly, is the physical size of the engine approximately correct. The 35cc Evolution radial engine is about 7.5" diameter The dummy radial that comes with the kit is about 8" diameter. So that's not too far off. It only is shy by 1/4" per side. Power is another matter. The 35cc only generates about 2.2 HP, which equates to about 110watts per lb for the Stearman. This is enough power to fly, but it would be pretty scale-like. The Stearman is built pretty solid, and there may be some opportunities to lighten the airframe during the build. The Evolution engine weighs 500 grams (1.1 lbs) MORE than the Saito 120, so this is quite a lot of difference. That weight difference could bring the performance down to 103 watts/lb, which is even worse. So, in sum, I think it would work, but I'd look for ways to lighten the plane.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

Skypup, your question about the GP Stearman has two parts to it. First, is the power developed by the engine appropriate for the airframe. Secondly, is the physical size of the engine approximately correct. The 35cc Evolution radial engine is about 7.5'' diameter The dummy radial that comes with the kit is about 8'' diameter. So that's not too far off. It only is shy by 1/4'' per side. Power is another matter. The 35cc only generates about 2.2 HP, which equates to about 110watts per lb for the Stearman. This is enough power to fly, but it would be pretty scale-like. The Stearman is built pretty solid, and there may be some opportunities to lighten the airframe during the build. The Evolution engine weighs 500 grams (1.1 lbs) MORE than the Saito 120, so this is quite a lot of difference. That weight difference could bring the performance down to 103 watts/lb, which is even worse. So, in sum, I think it would work, but I'd look for ways to lighten the plane.

Thanks. I have been thinking of the os 160 twin vs the 7-35. You have me wondering now. The os is 2.0 hp and weighs 38 ounces. I'd like to use a multicylinder 4 stroke for the realistic sound. I just want to do some basic scale flying with a few loops, rolls, stall turns and spins.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Pull Up Now!

I forgot to mention, I own a GP Stearman and you'll not find a better-flying biplane. It's very well behaved in all maneuvers. A few years ago, I converted a Saito Golden Knight 150 to gas ignition, and it's been flying without trouble ever since. The engine has a lot of torque, so it pulls steadily through every loop.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 AM
skypup50

Can someone tell me which radial would fly this beaver? Radial cowl, not sure of the diameter. Thanks.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...VER-95BAF.html
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Pull Up Now!

Can someone tell me which radial would fly this beaver? Radial cowl, not sure of the diameter. Thanks.

You are running into the same problem that many people do who want to buy an Evolution radial. The displacements, size, and HP do not easily fit available models out there. Choose wrong, and you can waste $500 on a kit in no time. For fitting, most companies don't give adequate info on the cowl size to be sure a radial will fit. For the Husky, after watching TBM's video to make sure they didn't mention the cowl diameter, I ended up scaling a drawing in Autocad to get the approx. cowl diameter. See the picture below. From that, I found the cowl is 10.2% of the wingspan, which yields 9.69" diameter. But that's theoretically the OD of the cowl. I subtracted 1/32" for each cowl wall and came up with a base number of 9.625" diameter for the inside.

So that means either the 35 or 77cc Evolution would physcially fit. But the cowl is a little tapered, so the question is "HOW TAPERED"? The only way to know for sure is to contact TBM by phone and get exact measurements of the cowl. The larger engine has, at the cowl widest point, 7/16" clearance per side. Taper the cowl down and that clearance disappears pretty quickly.

But before you do that, examine horsepower because that will eliminate both engines. The 77 is 197 watts/lbs, WAY too much power unless you buy the floats. And the 335cc is too little power, at 98 watts/lb. The GP Stearman was a bit better match than the Husky.

To accomplish the work you're attempting, and from the questions you're asking Skypup, you need to equip yourself with the necessary tools and knowledge to answer many of these questions yourself. If you private message me and I'll help you get started.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 AM
skypup50

You are running into the same problem that many people do who want to buy an Evolution radial. The displacements, size, and HP do not easily fit available models out there. Choose wrong, and you can waste $500 on a kit in no time. For fitting, most companies don't give adequate info on the cowl size to be sure a radial will fit. For the Husky, after watching TBM's video to make sure they didn't mention the cowl diameter, I ended up scaling a drawing in Autocad to get the approx. cowl diameter. See the picture below. From that, I found the cowl is 10.2% of the wingspan, which yields 9.69'' diameter. But that's theoretically the OD of the cowl. I subtracted 1/32'' for each cowl wall and came up with a base number of 9.625'' diameter for the inside.

So that means either the 35 or 77cc Evolution would physcially fit. But the cowl is a little tapered, so the question is ''HOW TAPERED''? The only way to know for sure is to contact TBM by phone and get exact measurements of the cowl. The larger engine has, at the cowl widest point, 7/16'' clearance per side. Taper the cowl down and that clearance disappears pretty quickly.

But before you do that, examine horsepower because that will eliminate both engines. The 77 is 197 watts/lbs, WAY too much power unless you buy the floats. And the 335cc is too little power, at 98 watts/lb. The GP Stearman was a bit better match than the Husky.

To accomplish the work you're attempting, and from the questions you're asking Skypup, you need to equip yourself with the necessary tools and knowledge to answer many of these questions yourself. If you private message me and I'll help you get started.

PM sent
Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
redball8

They (radials) look much better with the cylinders exposed - pick a subject that doesn't have a cowl!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: redball8

They (radials) look much better with the cylinders exposed - pick a subject that doesn't have a cowl!
Suggest a few. I've spent the day looking thru all the plans that RC Modeler has (over 500) and the Flying Models site and am still looking. The correct sized Spirit of St Louis would be cool. I like Maxam's Robin 99 but that has been out of production for years. Could put it on a Stick plane. I need suggestions and am somewhat frustrated at this point. I want one badly but the OS FT 160 would be much more versatile and work in many more air frames. Anybody know how much thrust the 7-35 can generate?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Pull Up Now!

I am attempting to put the 77 radial engine on a top flight corsair ARF. there is only about 3 eighths of an inch clearance all the way around to the heads on the motor and the inside surface of the cowl. but the finished weight of the model is about 22 to 25 pounds, which is a great fit for the 77 radial. I have a back out plan to slightly enlarged the cowl if I need to.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I am attempting to put the 77 radial engine on a top flight corsair ARF. there is only about 3 eighths of an inch clearance all the way around to the heads on the motor and the inside surface of the cowl. but the finished weight of the model is about 22 to 25 pounds, which is a great fit for the 77 radial. I have a back out plan to slightly enlarged the cowl if I need to.

Pictures ??? I have a ASP 400 5 Cyl Radial about to arrive and am going to see if it will fit on the TF Corsair. Some pictures of what you're doing would be of great help.

Thanks,
Galen

Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Pull Up Now!

Booker, I haven't actually started construction yet. Box will be cracked open when the first snows fly. However, I have fitted the engine to the cowl to make sure it works. It's tight, but I think doable. The ASP400 radial is 1/8" smaller(8.66") in diameter than the Evolution 77 (8.78") I'm using. So you're in good shape fitting the engine. The only issue is how much, if any, built-in right thrust we can tolerate without contacting the cowl.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 AM
redball8

Suggest a few. I've spent the day looking thru all the plans that RC Modeler has (over 500) and the Flying Models site and am still looking. The correct sized Spirit of St Louis would be cool. I like Maxam's Robin 99 but that has been out of production for years. Could put it on a Stick plane. I need suggestions and am somewhat frustrated at this point. I want one badly but the OS FT 160 would be much more versatile and work in many more air frames. Anybody know how much thrust the 7-35 can generate?
Concept Fleet or any Stearman, if you want a kit to start with. Out of Production (OOP) kits like the Robinhood 99 or Sperry Messnger show up from time tio time (see (http://www.ebay.com/itm/170916997027...84.m1423.l2649), perfect for a Saito 170). Ryan PT-22, Monocoupe 110, Kinner Sportster, Davis D1W or Curtiss Robin are a few if you up for building from plans. Lots of scale subjects starting with exposed cylnders then put a cowl on later, like the Gee Bee Y.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Linkan2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has today been out flying my Stearman with 7-35.
Autumn has come a long way here in Sweden.
In a month it is winter here.
The fly is still amazing
Lars
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 AM
skypup50

Concept Fleet or any Stearman, if you want a kit to start with. Out of Production (OOP) kits like the Robinhood 99 or Sperry Messnger show up from time tio time (see (http://www.ebay.com/itm/170916997027...84.m1423.l2649), perfect for a Saito 170). Ryan PT-22, Monocoupe 110, Kinner Sportster, Davis D1W or Curtiss Robin are a few if you up for building from plans. Lots of scale subjects starting with exposed cylnders then put a cowl on later, like the Gee Bee Y.

Thanks RedBall. Found this today and it looks great with the 7-70

http://www.propman.de/2.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THkucyhwaNk&feature=plcp
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: Linkan2

Has today been out flying my Stearman with 7-35.
Autumn has come a long way here in Sweden.
In a month it is winter here.
The fly is still amazing
Lars
Linkan

Are you flying the great planes military PT-17 and how does it fly? does the power seem marginal or are you satisfied? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Linkan2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is great planes military PT-17,and the powe is satisfide++
have you sin the video??
Lars
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: Linkan2

Yes it is great planes military PT-17,and the powe is satisfide++
have you sin the video??
Lars

Yes....looks great! Wanted to be sure! Now I will buy the 7-35! Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.