Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM
reyn3545

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.. what is that you are using to clamp the exhaust ring to the header pipes?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

excellent work on the fuse front just behind the engine! -Tom
Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reyn3545
Very nice.. what is that you are using to clamp the exhaust ring to the header pipes?
I took some 1/2 ins. square aluminum stock and drilled out for the brass tubing then drilled and tapped cross way and cut a slot for a pinch type clamp, I am only using 3 clamps, hope it will hold, seems fairly tight, won`t know till engine runs for awhile, if it fails I will just use hose clamps, I guess, I used silver solder(the real stuff), hope it holds too, just waiting for my on board glo system and put every thing together and balance, as the pics show I bought the airplane from the builder and he had a gas banger G-62 zenoah engine in it, but has never flown it, that is why the cowl is cut out at the bottom, so this will be a first maiden flight, videos to follow..........

Last edited by slskn; 04-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slskn
I took some 1/2 ins. square aluminum stock and drilled out for the brass tubing then drilled and tapped cross way and cut a slot for a pinch type clamp, I am only using 3 clamps, hope it will hold, seems fairly tight, won`t know till engine runs for awhile, if it fails I will just use hose clamps, I guess, I used silver solder(the real stuff), hope it holds too, just waiting for my on board glo system and put every thing together and balance, as the pics show I bought the airplane from the builder and he had a gas banger G-62 zenoah engine in it, but has never flown it, that is why the cowl is cut out at the bottom, so this will be a first maiden flight, videos to follow..........

Really nice execution of my original instructions on how to convert the Lowe's ornamental lawn sprinkler into a 7-77 exhaust ring. I'm very impressed. It's kind of hard to tell, but was your solder kind of gold colored? I see some silver color, but that could be some of the copper plating sanded off say, during deburring. Genuine industrial grade silver solder has a gold appearance when brazed. And the white flux can only be removed with super hot water. Just want to make sure so your exhaust rings holds together. Super nice work!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM
slskn

thanks again for the great Idea Rick, brilliant discovery owed to you, yes, the silver color you see is the copper coating just sanded off, I did use the brazing rod type silver solder, with the white flux, worked out great the only thing I did not do was to add a pressure fitting, not sure if I need to, but will try without it first, I did put one on my Corsair only because I have a 2 tank system and wanted to make sure the fuel would flow from one tank to the other, but on the Stearman I only have one tank, 32oz. only because I had it, my clamps are kind of crude but seem to tighten but not sure I can tighten any more with out making the slot wider, will see after the engine runs a time or two, thanks again...............Steve.

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Really nice execution of my original instructions on how to convert the Lowe's ornamental lawn sprinkler into a 7-77 exhaust ring. I'm very impressed. It's kind of hard to tell, but was your solder kind of gold colored? I see some silver color, but that could be some of the copper plating sanded off say, during deburring. Genuine industrial grade silver solder has a gold appearance when brazed. And the white flux can only be removed with super hot water. Just want to make sure so your exhaust rings holds together. Super nice work!!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have tried a few props on the 777 now and here some results 22x12 3blade Menjz at 5000rpm , 20x10 4blade 5100rpm and the troybuilt 20x14 3 blade 5500rpm.
I am using a 7 1/2% nitro and 9% oil.

I think the adjustable 20x10-14 3 blade from TBM is giving the most power so far and it looks good with the prop hub.

My question is, the specs on the engine show WOT @ 6000rpm will 5500rpm on the ground unload like a regular gas engine of 1000rpm or so overrating it?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Maxam

Tim, I have a Xoar 22x10 3 blade which loads the engine to 4400 on the ground and it likes to unload over a 1000 rpm in the air! -Tom
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 AM
slskn

here is the first run on my Evo 7-77, the sound quality is very poor on my smart phone, but I ran 2 tanks of fuel through, 320z. tank size and was running it on the rich side did not touch the low end yet, this is my airplane hauler (snowmobile trailer) that way I don`t have to take the planes apart, but it ran 1,800 on Idle and 5,100 to 5,300 rpms w.o.t. on a 24x10 2 blade prop, they ran it at the factory with a 24x8 at 5,500rpm, the Stearman came out at 31.8lbs. I hope to maiden it this weekend after a few more tanks of fuel, the corsair at the Toledo Expo from Horizon Hobby display the owner said after three or so tanks of fuel and adjustments He now has just under 100 flights and said the engine seems to be getting stronger and running really nice, so that was encouraging, so hope I can get the same results with my 7-77 and my 9-99. also, so far the exhaust ring is holding up very good, so will post the flight video soon.

http://youtu.be/RIyASyvb8JU
Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 PM
slskn

also the first run on my new 9-99 in my Corsair

http://youtu.be/Zau4vXv9PQQ
Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 PM
AeroFinn

Originally Posted by slskn
also the first run on my new 9-99 in my Corsair

http://youtu.be/Zau4vXv9PQQ
Hi (Steve?)

Congrats for the first runs of the triple seven and the triple nine!

Was it rusting issues that causes you to be on your 3rd 9-99? I hope you and Maxam have sorted out this matter to avoid any further issues. (It's a curious phenomenon as i do not use any ARO with my Laser glow engines and I don't have any issues.)

Anyways, getting back to radials: Generaly speaking I try to limit the scale of my models to 30cc to 50cc class. I want to try an Evolution radial but i'm having it hard to make my mind on which engine / model. If I get it right the wingloading may be an issue with any radials but maybe a biggest concern with the 7-35? as the power / weight ratio is maybe the weakest of all in the Evolution radial line of engines. I want to have an aerobatic model or warbird with some power reserve.

It's very obvious that if I go for 160/260 engines the wingloading gets lighter but they are a bit out of my budget and a headache to get to the field and back.

The 7-77 might with into the cowl of many 50cc class ARF that feature a roud cowls (sea Fury, Yak 55 etc) So that's what I'm thinking now. I have read all the 45 pages, by the way but it seems to be either a Corsair or military Stearman..Any other ideas?

I appreciate any hints!

Artto
Old 05-04-2014, 04:14 AM
Maxam

Artto, The 7-77 is a great running durable engine that due to the smaller crankcase is much less prone to harboring condensation and thus rusting. I actually have about 25 more flights on my 9-99 than the 7-77. The aquarium air pump ventilation method I use solved all rusting issues. The 7-77 is the easiest to start and has a great power to weight ratio. As is true of any radial none of these are meant to run at full throttle continuously. You probably have guessed the 7-77 is the one I recommend you buy. It is certainly in my opinion the best looking! -Tom
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 AM
slskn

Hello Artto,
I am still not sure why and how I have had all the problems with my 9-99 as I have said before, I did all the things as per the instructions that I was supposed to do, Maxam (Tom) has helped me sort through some things of which I appreciate and am sure he has helped others, no problems there, I am wondering if possibly I did not run the first few flights rich enough? with only the 7 1\2% oil? ( 0n the last 9-99 as to why the rings seized up?) Horizon did not have an answer as to why that happened, but could not get the parts for awhile so just sent me the new one ( which I very much appreciate and am thankful that they stand behind the warranty) but as to the rust issue still am not sure why that has happened either because I did what was required with the blue blocker ARO( after run oil), however, after listening to Tom and others, I am now going to use the Marvel Mystery air tool oil, as ARO and have added 2 1\2 % of klots synthetic oil that also has 20% castor blend to my existing case of fuel, and using the air pump as Tom has suggested, after talking to some guys at the Toledo show it was said that possibly my garage has lots of moisture and it was suggested I use a dehumidifier, however, though that really does not explain why all my other 4 stroke engines in the garage have not had these rusting issues, at least not as soon as I did with the 9-99, but anyway, I hope taking these steps will help, and the first two tanks of fuel through each engine the 7-77 and the 9-99 have been running rich and very good. also was told by Don`s Hobby shop in Utah, USA, that they have been selling the 7-77 quick as they come in and Magnum fuels are blending now for the Evolution they are calling it the 10\10 blend for these engines 10%nitro and 10% oil, and are having good success. well, hope to maiden my Stearman in a day or so, Artto the guy at Don`s hobby told me that a guy in Michigan is flying his YAK 55 with very good performance with his 7-77, however, I love the warbirds and the choice is wide open for the radials................take care- Steve.

Last edited by slskn; 05-04-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Maxam

Steve, I have increased the oil content to 9%. When I see black draining out of the timing chest in with the oil, there is a problem. At this oil concentration the oil drains out crystal clear. The 7.5% nitro sure keeps the engine running very well at all throttle settings. I was flying my corsair one day and the engine was running at peak tune and thus full power so it really unloaded in a dive..... kind of scary fast (unrealistically). That was when I had the blackish oil and running 8%. I of course richened the engine a bit. I, at Toledo bought 2 cases of 15% nitro 18% oil (instead if 16%) to dilute to 1 to 1 for the 9% (Wildcat brand with the small amount of castor blended in with the synthetic). The additional oil had no effect on the running qualities. I bet 10% would not either if a bit of nitro is present. -Tom
Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 AM
Maxam

OK already Steve!!! We hear you! Must be something wrong with RCU.........
Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Artto,
there are lots of planes that are suitable for the 777. Classic planes such as the Waco and others of the period. Then there are WWII fighters. Most of which had round engines.
just some suggestions.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 AM
slskn

sorry!!! I don`t know what happened, at first it would not go through then I tried to cancel and then it would not cancel but sent anyway I did not mean for it to go through so many times.......
Originally Posted by Maxam
OK already Steve!!! We hear you! Must be something wrong with RCU.........
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
slskn

how do you cancel a post or can RCU do it?......
Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it. First time I've seen a triple post. It's always been just a double post for whatever reason.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM
cymaz

I blend my own fuel. I use Model Technics ProPower 16 here in the uk and dilute that with methanol at 50/50. This gives me 8% nitro and 9% oil, so far all has been good. The engine remains smooth and the engine is easy to start once there is plenty of fuel primed. I have a Sonic Tronics auto glow system which is absolutely brilliant-worth every penny/cent.

I am also very careful to run the engine absolutely dry after each run and put in after run, so far so good
Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 PM
slskn

well got to get the first flight yesterday on the Stearman, the only problem was that my camera man did not get the landing which was a greased in landing, anyhow got 3 flights on it and will post a better video when I can get the right camera guy. here is the link http://youtu.be/NW0xw6KJoIU Has plenty of power to spare and flew at half throttle I was really surprised at the 32lbs. that it was, it flew great-Steve.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 AM
marco.m

hello guys

Iam bulding the mick reeves 1/4 scale camel

what do you think can I use the evolution radial 7-77 for this model

thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 AM
cymaz

7-35 might suit the 1/4 scale
7-77 might suit the 1/3 scale....have a look at the web site as all the power requirements are there.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Maxam

Steve, That plane is great! Oh yes, so is the engine! -Tom
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 AM
marco.m

[QUOTE=cymaz;11800000]7-35 might suit the 1/4 scale
7-77 might suit the 1/3 scale....have a look at the web site as all the power requirements are there.[/QUOTE. The 7-77 fit inside the cowl iam not sure about the wheight off the engine
Old 05-08-2014, 04:36 AM
slskn

thanks Tom, just wondering if you guys are running your engines dry after every flight? or at the end of each flying session? I have been waiting til the end of my day of flying then run the engine dry and when I get home then I use the after run oil and after the first oiling I drain and fill again then at knight put the air pump to it over night, does that sound about right?- just asking.-Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.