Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

bubbless clunks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubbless clunks

Heads up guys, some of the Dubro filter clunks may have poor flow rates! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD741&P=7 So if you were thinking of going cheap, you may be going lean. On a Evolution 60 NX, I had to turn the HS screw out two turns further than I needed with the OS bubbless clunk. The engine exhibited inconsistent mixture from full to empty with the Dubro. Changed to the pricy OS clunk http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF25&P=ML and the run was rock solid. I just had to try it, oh well....a wast of time.

By the way, last weekend I flew my Diamond Dust delta's fuel tank dry as a bone using the OS clunk. I showed this to the guys in the pits and they couldn't believe anything could fly that violently, yet flawlessly running to the very end.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: bubbless clunks

Wow, the OS clunk comes with a OS price!

The small weed wacker felt clunks sell for like 2-3 dollars on 3bay.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcdude7

Wow, the OS clunk comes with a OS price!

The small weed wacker felt clunks sell for like 2-3 dollars on 3bay.
Its big too. I have one. I regret buying one but it was the only one I could find... They only fit in Dubro and some Sullivan tanks with the rubber stoppers . Not a chance with a Hayes. They aren't 100% bubble-less, either. Once the fuel level gets to the top of the clunk, it'll start sucking air if its vibrating hard.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Yup, OS flies them to the moon and back so they can charge more but the dang things work. As for sucking air when uncovered and vibration. Not a hint of it behind an unloaded 27,000+ rpm DF engine...good to the last drop. More than a few clunks don't work with a Hayes so I wont be getting more of those tanks. Shame, those tanks stand up great to YS pressure. I started using these clunks about 5 years ago, just wish I knew about them sooner. I like them better than the felt type.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Yup, OS flies them to the moon and back so they can charge more but the dang things work. As for sucking air when uncovered and vibration. Not a hint of it behind an unloaded 27,000+ rpm DF engine...good to the last drop. More than a few clunks don't work with a Hayes so I wont be getting more of those tanks. Shame, those tanks stand up great to YS pressure. I started using these clunks about 5 years ago, just wish I knew about them sooner. I like them better than the felt type.
Its funny, because I've heard of a lot of guys swear by felt clunks over the sintered clunks because its a fuel filter and anti-bubbler at the same time. Interesting.

Do you use the supplied O-Ring on your sintered clunks? I did but once I get down to where the fuel level gets below the top edge of the clunk, I see little bubbles every so often. Once its down to 1/2 way across the clunk I can hear the engine leaning out from the bigger bubbles coming through. Fill up the tank and they're gone.

I even made a new stand to combat vibration, which seems to be working better..
Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

.... I like them better than the felt type.

Why?

Thanks