Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Thunder Tiger engines

thanks just happen to have one thats good news

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You must have had very old TT36s, I have been flying tt36s for over 6 years. I have 5 of them and I have yet to have problems.. But Murphy's Law being what it is..anything can happen.
    Thunder Tiger has a good replacement record. Should not be any problem get replacement for the one you broke on the test stand

Wishing you the best in Flying
    If I can help,,,email me.
    Blake Walston

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Was wondering if you could put a pro 46, no 9141 in a raptor 30. anybody try this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK I am getting back into RC after a 25 year break. I bought an old Tiger trainer that seems totaly airworthy. I am trying to start the GP-61 engine and can only get it to fire up with a prime.
    I have never seen an engine with more then one needle valve. I know that I adjust the main valve about 1 1/2 turns out from close to start but where do I set the two smaller needle valves for starting? Do I have to adjust them after start up? I am only working with a chicken stick for now I hope to gear up once the bug bites again!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The other two screws rarely need to be fiddled with. One is idle speed which should be at a minimum setting so you can sgut the engine off with the servo and the other is idle air bleed. It is a air adjustment and is screwed out for more air and in for less air.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Folks, I have a new Thunder Tiger 36 Pro aircraft engine. 11/29/08 Runs great and I have the transition working very well. My problem is the idle will not come down low and it will not shut down even with the barrel closed completely. I guess you could say it runs too good. Any help out there. This is my first post, I usually have no engine problems, i have quite a mix. Thanks, James

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to RCUniverse

Sounds as though you have an air leak most probably where the carb fits into the crankcase
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your reply. How can I be sure they are at an initial setting for starting? Does it matter where they are set for starting?

One is idle speed which should be at a minimum setting so you can sgut the engine off with the servo and the other is idle air bleed. It is a air adjustment and is screwed out for more air and in for less air

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

Just got a TT GP 42 ABC engine from tower for an Escapade. I have never run glow engines before but have spent a good deal of time reading about the subject. Now im scared im going to trash my new toy by not breaking it in properly. What should i be looking and listening for? Should I be using 10% nitro fuel and i don't see a Castor oil mix # on the bottle of fuel i bought. In short any help is welcome.

dino
    Electronic Media Controls Reality

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what kind of fuel did you get? Brand name, etc? Surely someone here would know what's in it
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tower power its pink and has a 10% air label on it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just checked the site specs and its 18% oil, Duh I should have looked there first. Any tips on the first start?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey fizzwater where did you pick up that tag line? My father has been saying that for years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's also 100% synthetic oil, I e-mailed Tower and asked, and they wrote back almost right away. Good customer service contact!

The GP is a sleeve bushing type engine, not ball bearing, correct? If it was mine, I would add some castor oil to the fuel for the first runs, at least, if not for every run. I have a bottle of Sig castor oil that I've had for quite a while, I think it's a quart, which should last quite a long time.

1.25 oz of castor added to your quart of fuel before you start using it would take the oil content up from 18 to 21.7%, the nitro would be 9.6% still. I would be more comfortable with closer to 21-22% oil for a sleeve bushing type engine.

I ran an OS 15 sleeve bearing engine on 16-18% all synthetic fuel on a control line plane, and life was short. Next time it'll be higher oil content and more castor in the fuel..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those sintered bronze bearings soak up oil. While I would consider a synthetic castor mix after it was broke in, I would run all castor oil for the break in , that way the bushing will soak up the oil that will make the bushing last the longest.

But not critical.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know where I heard it the first time.. but I like it.

I also like - "Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That GP-42 will be a nice match for the GP Escapade ARF, killerdino. A bit of castor oil added to your fuel is a good idea. Folks like 100% synthetic oil in their glow fuel because it doesn't leave nearly as much oil on the outside of their plane. The problem is that it also doesn't leave nearly as much oil on the inside of your engine. Castor oil will protect your GP-42 during the break-in process and keep it running at peak performace and reliability for as long as you own it.

When you first start your GP-42, open up the throttle to WOT (wide open throttle) and turn the needle valve clockwise to lean it until you get to the maximum rpm level. If you turn it to the right and the rpms start to drop, you've gone too lean and should back it up counterclockwise immediately. Once you know where the peak rpm setting is on your GP-42's high speed needle, turn it counterclockwise 1/2 of a turn to richen it up noticably.

This rich setting will provide plenty of power to fly the plane while keeping the engine cool and well lubricated during its first few tanks. After two or three tanks, you'll be able to lean it a bit more toward peak power another 1/4 turn or so and your engine will be nicely broken in and reliable.

The GP-42 doesn't require a lot of break in time and tunes in easily. The air bleed screw to adjust the idle mixture works the opposite of the high speed needle. If you turn it right and close up the air bleed hole on the front of the carburetor, this will actually richen the idle mixture. Turning it counterclockwise and expanding the opening of the air bleed hole leans the idle mixture by allowing more air into the air/fuel ratio.

My GP-42 didn't need any adjustment from the factory for the air bleed screw. There is one simple indicator that the air bleed screw is too lean is if the engine is tough to start. All of my air bleed carburetor engines flip start easily unless the air bleed screw is opened up too far. If you want to check your air bleed screw settings, a simple pinch on the carburetor line will let you know if your air bleed setting is correct or not.

Start your engine and let it run at minimum idle speed, then pinch the line to the carburetor. If the engine revs up a bit and then starts to die after 2 or 3 seconds, it's just about perfect. If it runs and runs without revving up then finally revs up and dies after 8 or 10 seconds, it's too rich and the air bleed screw should be turned out a bit. If you pinch the carburetor line and idle and the engine dies out almost immediately without revving up, then you're too lean and you need to turn in the air bleed screw some more.

Run your first few tanks slightly more rich than just-rich-of-peek, use some castor oil, and you'll be in love with your GP-42 for a long, long time.

Good luck and good flying!
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not that i am going to try but what is the difference between the Castor oil we use and the stuff the hippies rub on them selves? im seeing a lot of external grade Castor oil online and this stuff is used as a laxative too? ***?

Big Ed thanks for the info. im going to try to run a tank tomorrow. Glad to know these two are a match as well. Being a novice i went for cheap but apparently found something really good. These Gp 42s are 60 bucks on tower!

Fizzwater i think they may be from grocho marx. Not sure though. Sounds right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so i got some castor oil and fired her up started easy but was spitting a lot of fuel. gave the needle valve a couple of clicks and no real change. advice?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few clicks of needle may not give you any audible change in the engine. Teach yourself the needle by running it wide open then turn the needle out till the engine gets all blubbery, then turn it in till you hear it screaming, keep turning it lean till it starts to drop rpms slightly (this can happen really fast). In the middle someplace you will find the highest rpm sweet spot, richen from here till it drops a few hundred rpm for flight and be happy.
    I LOVE GP42s.
    http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Porte...ed-Thunder-Tig Check out my vid
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear TT-er,
    I have a new TT GP 42 and, with a 10x5 apc sport , and a hot glow plug . I have a lot of vibration in the transition rpm from idle to high . It is mounted on a 3/5 inch wood board well bolted on a table .
    Is this normal?
    I ran a 3 oz tank, 20% castor with the HOT breakin method and one with the 25%castor just above vibration position of the throttle. I estimate 7000 rpm.
    I stopped to make a more rigid stand and worried about what these vibrations can do if I put it on the plane.
    I will really appreciate your support

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you checked the balance of your propeller, that is the first place Iwould look.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the prompt reply.
    The propeller was the first thing to check.It is ok.
    Also, I dismantle the engine to verify again the inside. Especially the positioning of the piston.Everything was in good order.
    I have an other one just for parts, with the thread from the cilinder head damaged, and are identical

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only time Ihave had trouble was when Ihad loose bolts on the engine mount. They did not look loose but they each took a slight turn to tighten up and fixed the problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone this is my first post on this great site.

I am from the UK and can not get the spares I need for my Thunder tiger pro 120. 
    I am after a new cylinder/sleeve and piston ring, the UK supplier does not stock the sleeve so I wanted to know if you guys might know a supplier in the USA that would ship these items for me?

Thanks in advance!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast