Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Select engine(s) if had to replace bearins in less than a year

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
OS46
46.67%
OS 55
26.67%
OS 65
1.67%
OS 75
5.00%
OS 95
0%
OS120
5.00%
OS91 FS
10.00%
OS95 FS(V)
0%
OS110A
5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Select engine(s) if had to replace bearins in less than a year

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Select engine(s) if had to replace bearins in less than a year

How many have had to replace the bearings in these two engines after very little run time on the engine? We fly these engines a lot at our field. We even have T-34 races with the 46. we have had 6 or 7 engines go bad because of the bearings. well with in the warranity. We send them in to hobbico services and always get them back with a reapir bill of around 100 dollars. They allways have two lines they use on the repai bills. "You injested something" or " there was rust on the bearings". our Club has about 140 members and around 30 that fly every weekend and around 10 that fly everyday. We dont run these engines very hard. Usally a 10x7 APC on the stock muffler. they turn right around 14,000. some guys follow directions by running the engine out and putting after run in and others includding myself just leave them till the next day when we fly. no more than 24 hours before fly again. We own many other OS engines and the bearings Do Not last very long either.

Any way we are getting upset that we buy the most expensive "Sport" engine (jett engines are Super sport) and the bearings only last about 1-2 gallons before they crap out well under the warranity. The OS engines run very well and make good power. It is now that we at the club either have to start looking at other engines or buy the OS and put Boca bearings in the engines when new.

Poll: How many have had bearings go out before a normal time ( 1-3 gallons or < 5 hours)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 46/55 bearings bad again!

You left out "No, I have not had these problems"
I have two FS70s and three FS91s with quite a few gallons through them and no issues. One FS91 did lose the rear bearing last year, after about 6 years of regular use.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

airraptor - what fuel are most of you using? Just curious.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I too was going to ask him about which brand of fuel, or which homemade mixture, he was using. Something is definitely wrong. I don't think that it has anything to do with the brand of the engine.

Boca bearings are good bearings but they are no better than any other brand of good quality ball bearings.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Using coolpower huh?

New bearing sets are available for around $10 or less. If you think the OS bearings are the problem, why send your engines to hobbico for new bearings? They will just install the same exact bearings you blame your problems on now, then hobbico blames you the customer, and charges you nearly $100?

You can get stainless bearing sets, or just flood the engines with oil at the end of the flying day.

Glow engines are not maint. free, a little care will go along way in extending thier life, even one day after using cruelpower without ARO will cause bearings to rust, for they live in a very corrosive environment.

This subject comes up again and again, I have been down the same road, killed alot of bearings, and learned to just flood the engine (with ARO) at the end of the day and Shazaam!, no more rust problems.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

RC, are you referring to the green and the pink engine killer fuels? Surprise, surprise.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
airraptor

Nope we run Wildcat most of the time and sometimes run Power Master 15/18.

Why not change the bearings our self lol we do now, but when the engine bearings go they take out the engine with it. Plus I should have to change the bearings after only 1-3 gallons of fuel. one of our guys has two engines in thier now and the bill was over 325 dollars but they gave him a 175 customer discount. the engines were just two months old. He doesnt have the money to replace them yet. he is so scared now with the OS engines he has he is putting 1/2 a bottle of after run oil after every flight.

Now same fuel running on the Boca bearings and one OS 55 is going over a year now and has around 9 gallons thru it and now noise at all. So what is up with that. Now something else that is a bit weird is i run my engines kill them with the throttle and never run them dry or put after run in them and my engines i can get about 1 more gallon thru them before the bearins go.

So either the bearings are crap or we have a special air here in cali that eats bearings.

RCdude 80% or more of our guys use the Hobbico after run oil before they leave for the day.

Some guys run other engines like super tiger, ASP, magnum, webra, TT and few others and dont have bearing issues.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool power is bad about rust and mostly over the winter.  Even with cool power they should last several years.  Some are using after run oil, but of course that is no help.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Cool power is bad about rust and mostly over the winter. Evinen with cool power they should last several years. Some are using after run oil, but of course that is no help.

I've burned drums of Cool Power when flying pattern without incident. If someone wants to ignore the wisdom that is available for free on the net or the magazines and be irresponsible with their engines and not run them dry nor use Marvel Air Tool oil for an ARO, then I guess he will have to suffer the consequences.

Another point is that beginners are the biggest users of OS engines, and rightfully so. OS engines are the easiest to get going if you are without experienced help. However, the reason that the Super Tigre and other brands other than OS have fewer bearing problems is because these folks are a more experienced group and have lots more experienceor with glow engines. Tuning (too rich or too lean) can influence the life of your engine and its bearings.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have used WildCat almost exclusively since late 1992, summer before last I used 6 gallons of PowerMaster 15%x18% 80/20 blend, that my LHS could not sell. I got the 6 gallons for 58 bucks. I used one gallon of CP 20/20 when I had YS engines, got rid of them and gave the last of the 20/20 to a guy at Church. So far since 1991 I have never lost a bearing in any engine. I used Corrosion X for after run and now use NAPA Fogging oil at about 1/3rd the cost of the CX.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

RC, are you referring to the green and the pink engine killer fuels? Surprise, surprise.

I use the pink engine killer with some sig castor added, works okay. I also have fox and wildcat fuels. I almost never see PM or SIG fuels around for sale.

BTW, I have used air tool oil as a ARO and it available inexpensively at wal-mart.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Get some stainless bearings set from RC Bearings. The rear/big bearing should come as a 440C stainless with polymite retainers and I think the front is a quality steel type. This is a great economical, long running combo.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You most probably are just running to lean as you are trying to get the maximum speed out of these engines. You will have the same problems with any engine and any fuel you use if you lean them out to much.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

irresponsible with their engines and not run them dry nor use Marvel Air Tool oil for an ARO, then I guess he will have to suffer the consequences.
They were using afer run oil. That is the point. I have noticed that there are more problems from those using after run oil that without. They probably don't run out all ot the fuel and then add the after run oil before the the fuel has dried out of the crankcase. It won't mix with the fuel and the fuel and moisture is then in contract with the bearings. Petrol after run oil only works well when there is no fuel remaining in the engine.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

After replacing several sets of bearings over the years I started running my engines out of fuel at idle after draining the tank and I do mean OUT so they won't even make a pop on idle then add some ATF (about a 1/2 teaspoon) and give it a good spin with the starter for 20-30 sec. I have not lost a bearing since I started doing this and that is on new engine bearings as well as the ones I have replaced.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

What is going wrong with your bearings? If they are getting rough then that sounds like corrosion. If the bearuing cages are breaking apart then that sounds like the RPM is too high for the bearings.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When adding after run oil, it takes much more than a few drops to do any good. You need to get about a teaspoon full into the crankcase on a 2 stroke and then turn the engine over a few times to make sure that the oil completely saturates all the bearings. Marvel mystery oil is not a very good after run oil, much to thin but better than nothing. Any ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or Rislone (in the yellow container) is much better, also any air tool oil works well. Those who put just a few drops into the carb or exhaust are only kidding themselves if they think that might help.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM
airraptor

The bearings will either have one of the balls split in half or have chunks come of of them. The other half is the retainer.

No RPM isnt to high 14,000 on a 10x7 prop on World models T-34. The engines doesnt unload much at all with that prop.

Like i said most of the guys do run thier engines out of fuel with igniter on it and try to get it to start again. then put after run in the engine. The guys running after run oil have their bearings go out before mine.
I have been flying since i was 7 years old in 1978. the other guys at the field have been flying for around 10-20 years also.

Rodney no we are not running them LEAN

Freaking fast yes we are starting to change out the bearings when the engines are new. The ones that have the rear bearing changed out never have any issues at all. nothing is change on the care of the engines if anything we might run them harder once we know we have good bearings in them.
To ALL we fly these engines all the time about 3-5 flights a day for 4-6 days a week. So all you guys that dont have problems is that you just dont put as much time as we do in such a short time. We are doing good if the stock bearings last three months. The issue is why do i have to change out bearings in the most expensive sport engine on the market. We may switch to TT engines since i never hear of bearing problems with them.

NM2K
"
I've burned drums of Cool Power when flying pattern without incident. If someone wants to ignore the wisdom that is available for free on the net or the magazines and be irresponsible with their engines and not run them dry nor use Marvel Air Tool oil for an ARO, then I guess he will have to suffer the consequences.

Another point is that beginners are the biggest users of OS engines, and rightfully so. OS engines are the easiest to get going if you are without experienced help. However, the reason that the Super Tigre and other brands other than OS have fewer bearing problems is because these folks are a more experienced group and have lots more experienceor with glow engines. Tuning (too rich or too lean) can influence the life of your engine and its bearings.

Ed Cregger "

Really? Most begginers i know spend the least amount of money on an engine because of their in experience.
"However, the reason that the Super Tigre and other brands other than OS have fewer bearing problems is because these folks are a more experienced group and have lots more experienceor with glow engines." So the most experienced guys run other engines other than super tiger really I think you are way off base here you assume to much. These engines other than OS are not harder to tune or run. Ed OS engines other than the bearings have the best metallurgy of the sport engines so the experienced guys will run chose them over a Magnum with its soft cranks and rods they wear out after couple of runs. choose OS over the Evo engines that have pressed in crank pins that shear off.

The Fact is all things are more expensive now days it cost more to make engines and I and many other believe that OS is using cheaper nearings now than what they used to be. If you do a search on the net with bearings in OS engines you will see that even the Pro's (getting Paid/sponsered) will get new engines and change out the bearings so they can fly a full season of competition with out failure. Specially in the OS 140 engine. i know RPM wasnt an issue there. What is really upsetting is that we get an engine run it per OS guide lines it fails in two months or less send in to Hobbico and have to pay ofr parts and labor. The parts they put in cost mor than what is on the Tower site. I just saw the invoce this weekend and they want to charge him 19.99 cents for two OS # 8 plugs 190.00 dollars for two piston and liners. I can see if it is my fault and have to send an enine in for repair to pay more money but a bad bearing under warranity. It would be nice if OS would sell the engines with out bearings lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

TTpro 40 engines USED to eat rear bearings in 424 Q500 racing. I've seen several that have been ruined when the steel bearing cage came apart, sending pieces up through the piston and liner, including one of mine that I thought I could get one more race out of, before I changed to bearings with the plastic bearing retainer cage, rather than the stamped steel parts.

I haven't bought a new TTpro 40 in a couple of years now, but I have heard that they are now coming with bearings with the non-metallic cages. Of the 4 I have, one failed before I got the bearing changed, the others were all changed when they were brand new.

We're running quite a bit higher RPM in 424, typically 16,500-17000 on the APC 9/6 prop is where they'll peak. The steel cage bearings would just come apart under those conditions.

So - if you do switch to TT engines, you might want to check those rear bearings - if they're stamped steel cages on the balls, I would suggest changing them before you even run the engines. I bought most of mine (and the ones I did for others in the club) from RC-bearings.com. We bought stainless ones, and so far so good. I've heard the plain ol' steel bearings (not stainless) are actually harder and more durable, but you do want to be a little more conscious about running the engine dry and using sufficient good after run oil to protect them. Having some castor in the fuel seems to help.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The bearings will either have one of the balls split in half or have chunks come of of them. The other half is the retainer.

No RPM isnt to high 14,000 on a 10x7 prop on World models T-34. The engines doesnt unload much at all with that prop.

Like i said most of the guys do run thier engines out of fuel with igniter on it and try to get it to start again. then put after run in the engine. The guys running after run oil have their bearings go out before mine.
I have been flying since i was 7 years old in 1978. the other guys at the field have been flying for around 10-20 years also.

Rodney no we are not running them LEAN

Freaking fast yes we are starting to change out the bearings when the engines are new. The ones that have the rear bearing changed out never have any issues at all. nothing is change on the care of the engines if anything we might run them harder once we know we have good bearings in them.
To ALL we fly these engines all the time about 3-5 flights a day for 4-6 days a week. So all you guys that dont have problems is that you just dont put as much time as we do in such a short time. We are doing good if the stock bearings last three months. The issue is why do i have to change out bearings in the most expensive sport engine on the market. We may switch to TT engines since i never hear of bearing problems with them.

NM2K
''

Ed Cregger ''

Really? Most begginers i know spend the least amount of money on an engine because of their in experience.
''However, the reason that the Super Tigre and other brands other than OS have fewer bearing problems is because these folks are a more experienced group and have lots more experienceor with glow engines.'' So the most experienced guys run other engines other than super tiger really I think you are way off base here you assume to much. These engines other than OS are not harder to tune or run. Ed OS engines other than the bearings have the best metallurgy of the sport engines so the experienced guys will run chose them over a Magnum with its soft cranks and rods they wear out after couple of runs. choose OS over the Evo engines that have pressed in crank pins that shear off.

The Fact is all things are more expensive now days it cost more to make engines and I and many other believe that OS is using cheaper nearings now than what they used to be. If you do a search on the net with bearings in OS engines you will see that even the Pro's (getting Paid/sponsered) will get new engines and change out the bearings so they can fly a full season of competition with out failure. Specially in the OS 140 engine. i know RPM wasnt an issue there. What is really upsetting is that we get an engine run it per OS guide lines it fails in two months or less send in to Hobbico and have to pay ofr parts and labor. The parts they put in cost mor than what is on the Tower site. I just saw the invoce this weekend and they want to charge him 19.99 cents for two OS # 8 plugs 190.00 dollars for two piston and liners. I can see if it is my fault and have to send an enine in for repair to pay more money but a bad bearing under warranity. It would be nice if OS would sell the engines with out bearings lol.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. I can live with that...

Ed Cregger
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I use Air Tool Oil as after run oil. Run the engine dry and add the ARO at end of day. If it will be longer than a week, I add a little more Air Tool Oil mixed with some ATF. For long term storage( when you have a lot of engines to store), I use ATF straight. I haven't had a rusted bearing in over 20 ++ years using the above. I get my stored engines out periodically to look them over and will add ATF.

I do know that other people do different things that work well for them. So there is no perfect system. Just find one that gives you the results you are looking for.

turbo
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 AM
bobbucko

I've run Super Tigers, TT Pro's and OS's. I fly several times a week and have never lost a bearing other than a seal on the front bearing of a TT 61 pro. I've have used several brands of fuel, but always make sure they contain Castor. In my opion the most reliable engines for power, smooth idle, and dependable transition low speed to high are the OS's. I started with the Super Tigers because of price, but know I,m happy to pay the premium for the OS fx's and AX's because it saves me a ton of time and money not having to replace planes or make repairs due too flame outs. I live in dry climate and corrosion is not a problem. When I use an after run oil I and hate to admit it use being a diehart GM guy use Ford ATF it has the same properties of the high dollar after run oils on the market
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
p51Dpony

I must just be living on borrowed time then because I seldom use afterrun oils though usually we do run the engine dry.. and I've never had a bearing go bad ever.. knock on wood watch us lose 5 engines next weekend!  We use the os engines mostly because of the overall quality and reliability and strength, of the ax engines, I think the la's are just bushings but they're too weak to use on anything but a light trainer anyway..
I can answer the thunder tiger question above, every since they been made in china the bearings don't go out because they never sustain a run long enough to heat up the bearings anyways, glad I could help.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
KeroPower

Use a bushed engine and a all castor fuel. Then one does not have to worry abouttransmission fluid,air tool oil, rust, rough bearings, or even running the engine dry.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

There's a reason I use Byrons.

Bought a 46AX when they first came out, and one about 2 years later. Been running Byrons in them since. They've been crashed a few times, cleaned up, and flown again.

Interesting.

Byrons premium 15%, altitude 4800', one flown with a 9 1/2X7 prop other with 10X6 almost all the time but never a prop other than those two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.