Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine 53 Jetstream Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
DAVESDAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irvine 53 Jetstream Carb

Hi all

I've got an Irvine 53 with the black jetstream carb that had been laid up for about 5 years before putting into a Hangar 9 Sundowner 50. Problem is the engine does not want tune although it starts easily on 10% nitro fuel. It doesn't seem to matter much where the main needle is set (anything up to 7 turns out) and any tuning seems to be down to adjusting the lowend needle. I've stripped the carb and all the O rings are in place but they are the originals and there is no sign of any debris. The engine doesn't seem to run lean showing an air leak but just doesn't react to adjusting the main needle. This is a great engine when working properly so any advice on what to check would be great.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Irvine 53 Jetstream Carb

Daves dad Put a piece of fuel line on the carb fuel intake and blow through it as a check to make sure no debris in the fact you have opened the needle and nothing leads me to believe it might I have a number a 53s with jet stream carbs, and had this issue it had a small piece of lint in it removed back to normal great response martin
If it is using a fuel bulb syringe with a piece of fuel line and pressure it out
remove the low speed needle if plugged before the bulb treatment
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Check that the LS needle is also not wound too far in.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fiery has a good point the low speed needle is usally close to flush to its housing martin
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a seldom mentioned characteristic of two needle carbs, that when the LS needle is too lean it can make the HS needle ineffective.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 AM
DAVESDAD

Thanks for the advice. I'll strip the carb and recheck for debris. The low end needle is pretty much flush with the housing but I will recheck. One other thing occurs to me, I'm using a non-standard Pitts silencer from Just Engines. It is for the 53 but can a silencer cause this sort of problem?
Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Silencer should not be problem. Irvines tend not to need pressure to run run well. Irvine diesels don't even use silencer pressure.

Make sure the LS needle adjusting screw is proud of the housing by .5 mm (1/32") as a starting point, it will probably need a little leaning out from there.

As AMB mentioned, do check to make sure there is no debris restricting the free flow of fuel though the jet.