Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Removing sleeve from Moki 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:38 AM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing sleeve from Moki 1.8

I am having trouble removing the sleeve from my Moki 1.8 Engine. I have heated the case in the oven at 300 degrees for ten minutes. Sleeve has not moved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Removing sleeve from Moki 1.8

While I have not worked on a Moki, There have been engines that I had to heat the engine in a normal temperature oven and push the sleeve up from the bottom with a wooden stick and a hammer. I had to use heavy gloves.

After you get the sleeve out and clean things up, you will probably find that the fit is less traumatic.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Blow Torch (propane torch?) applied to the exterior case fins to heat the upper case up quickly. Then, as W8YE says. Should come out. We want the outer case hot and the liner not so hot, so you need to act quickly to minimise thermal transfer to the liner.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Rendegade

Yep, also to get it out easy I tend to stick a pospicle stick in the exhaust port, and when everything is hot enough, push the liner (wearing gloves) out of the crankcase with the piston by turning the prop driver. If you can't push it out with the driver you need to keep heating. It'll only move a little way out before the popsicle will be stuck, so remove it, that's usually enough to get some purchase on the top of the liner with your gloved fingers.

NO PLIERS PLEASE!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive used the wooden stick method on scary stubborn liners... i also saw a video where the guy stuffed some cloth in the exhaust port and it looks like it worked in a similar manner