Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: OS 40 FSR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS 40 FSR

Hey all,am wondering if anyone could point in the right direction as to where to find parts for my old OS MAX 40 FSR.This engine was my first brand new store bought engine(1984).I've got new bearings,but I need a gasket set and possibly the o-rings for the carb.I'm restoring my first trainer,a Bridi Krafty 60,and this engine is it's powerplant.

Thanks in advance Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS 40 FSR

Hi

Not making those any more, to old. The gasket you can make your self. The O-Rings you can buy. Might check your local hobby shop, should be able to find an o-ring from a newer engine that will fit. Some times Ebay and RCU has the parts for sale. Just have to watch for them.

Vince

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine was a .40 FSR on a Jensen Uglystick. Gaskets show up on RCU and Ebay. Some Magnum/ thundertiger clones might also fit. Rings are only available from Bowman unless you get lucky with a NOS one. I still got my old stuff too; Hmmmm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys when you said clones I remembered that I had an old TT42 and its rear crankcase gasket is just what I needed.Now I have a couple other problems which way does the arrow on top of the piston point towards the exhaust port or towards the intake port?Also the flat sealing side of the head has a machined "dimple"on it does it have a certain way it goes?I took this engine apart about twenty years and one move ago so the old memory is kind of foggy.

Thanks again Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arrow to exhaust port

Dimple at rear.

Nice little engines the FSR's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks fiery,I'll button her up Tues night.Now anybody have a 743 silencer they'd like to sell or know where I might find one?

Thanks Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Silencers made for the Magnum 40 and 45 PRO and Royal 40 and 45 (FSR copies) will fit, as will silencers made for the Irvine 40 Mk II (same construction pattern as the 40 FSR) and ASP/SC 40 (series 1 with bolt on silencer).

They all come up regularly on the famous internet auction site.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just an update guys,started my engine yesterday,and it ran great!!!Ran it with no muffler,very loud but a good loud.I'll probably buy a Mac's adapter plate and muffler.It started on the first flip(hand start)with the original plug that was installed in 1984.

Thanks for all your help Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found my OS 40 FSR ring. It had been laid up for many years. Spun it up on FAI (nil nitro) home brew fuel. 80% methanol, 20% Fuchs Castorene R40. Taipan broad blade orange composite 10x6 propeller. Idle RPM steady mid 2,000's. Top RPM 13,200. OS 8 medium reach plug first, then a long reach Firepower F6, which picked up 100 rpm's and offered lower idle. Clean pick-up even after prolonged idle. The OS 4 BK carb is superb. Exhaust note is nice and loud - no baffles in the muffler.

A nice sports .40 engine when released over 30 years ago. It still is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85268.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1688368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80135.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1688369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79367.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	1688370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51536.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	1688371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13679.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	1688372  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"nice and loud" is just right.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm curious; is the carb the 4D or the 4BK?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My .45F has the 4BK carb, my SF .40 has the 4D carb.
    Both carbs are the same internally. All parts interchange.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ithink the FSR engines are tuned for more power at higher RPMs than most modern engines, my FSR 40 was amazing. Ihave a nice 45FSR that Ineed to test but have been to busy. Ithink Iwill end up selling it anyway since I have no current use for it and have a ton of 40 size engines.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fiery

Found my OS 40 FSR ring. It had been laid up for many years. Spun it up on FAI (nil nitro) home brew fuel. Taipan broad blade orange composite 10x6 propeller. Idle RPM steady mid 2,000's. Top RPM 13,200. OS 8 medium reach plug first, then a long reach Firepower F6, which picked up 100 rpm's and offered lower idle. Clean pick-up even after prolonged idle. The OS 4 BK carb is superb. Exhaust note is nice and loud - no baffles in the muffler.

A nice sports .40 engine when released over 30 years ago. It still is.
    That's one seriously good looking engine - I have a handful of OS 40's released before & after the FSR series, but no actual FSR's....... [] weep, moan, weep

I do however have a Royal 45 "FSR look-a-like" engine, with a very similar looking carb & bolt on front housing. Impressive performance on the bench & now looking for a suitable pusher model to take advantage of that bolt on front housing to reverse the rotation scenario
    Saya mencintai aero memperagakan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bone

I have a NIB Royal 40 FSR as well. Very nice looking engine, pretty much a clone of the OS 40 FSR ABN. I will give it run one day. The only thing I have done is to trial fit RJL diesel head on it. Bolted up perfectly. The 40FSR engines have the same bore as the OS 40FP.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently found a never used .OS.40fsr ,and a old brand new in the box top flite HOT KANERY, same combo I had 35 years ago. Those engines ," in my opinion" , are the best ever made of that size of all companies.Have anybody tried that screaming ,gold head, .48 that K&B made 18 years ago?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Mike; I'm curious about where your balance point is on your Hot Kanary. I ask because I have one and would like to get him back in the air again(I built him back in 1988). If I remember, he was tail heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just unroll the plans, it has three points, the best according to the plans is right in front of the top wing. the other two are 1/2 in in front of that, and the other 1/2 behind, I flashedbacked and remembered I made mine alittle nose heavy . MIKE.  The kit I found  has every thing in it including the building booklet ,monocote ad with sample, and a order form for a Topflite jacket. Let me know if you need anything else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey! Orange Taipan prop! I've got a few of those lying around, too, don't see them much any more.

Iskandar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys are gonna make me put new bearings in my 45FSR and fly it now aint ya.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iskandar

The Taipan composite props were a great prop in the '70's when first released, and are still seen occasionally in flying fields around Australia. They pull your ship out of tight turns like no other.

The C/L combat guys still use the nylon versions 40 years on.

Jeffie, put new races in your FSR and fly the thing. It will put a smile on your dial . Truly one of the best performance sports engines ever made by OS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I gave an OS40FSR to a flying buddy , it was one of the best running engines I have ever tested. I have the 45 and will install new bearings in it and fly it on my Escapade. I like those Taipan props on my 4 strokes , the wide blades really dig.