Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Difficulty tuning OS75AX

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Difficulty tuning OS75AX

I have an OS75 that I used for a short period of time because the plane crashed. I just installed it on a new plane and I just can’t tune it. It runs fine on idle, but whenever I accelerate to about half throttle, it starts to either choke or accelerate and decelerate by itself. I tried the needle on 3 turns and 2.5 turns. Same result. Any help? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Difficulty tuning OS75AX

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. check all pipes for pin holes,check clunk is not hitched up in the tank and is able to swing clear everywhere and also seal up the needle valve with some glow pipe. I start from the clunk and work my way up checking everything upto and including the carb. Also blow the carb through with fuel to give it a good flush .

This will help to get you going so click [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4646563/anchors_4646563/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4646563]here[/link]
Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your idle needle may be too lean. That can cause problems with full-throttle fuel flow. Richen the idle needle a LOT, start the engine at part throttle with the high-speed needle at about 2-1/2 turns out from closed. Keep the glowplug battery connected and advance the throttle to full. Adjust the high-speed needle to keep the engine running smoothly. You can remove the glowplug battery connector now.

Once the engine's been run enough at full throttle to allow you to lean it to just rich of peak RPM, you can retard the throttle and work on adjusting the idle. With glow engines, idle will not be reliable or able to be reliably-set until you can get the high-speed needle properly set.

All settings dictated in the instructions are only starting points. You will have to adjust the engine to suit. The engine's settings will change as the air temperature and humidity change. That means you have to check it EVERY DAY you use the engine. It is not "set and forget".
Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys.

I started with the tank and there it was. The stopper was completely loose and it was leaking lots of fuel. I also found the small idle needle screwed all the way in. Someone at the field told me that the needle head is usually flushed with the head.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to know you got to the bottom of it