NovaRossi Good or Bad???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NovaRossi Good or Bad???

Greetings,

I'm about to buy a new engine for my new Tequila Sunrise .30. I check the specs for NovaRossi engines and they looks incredible. NovaRossi .21 1.8 HP on ~27.000 RPMs. WOW. Is it for real? Does anybody of you use those engines. How they run? Is it make any sense to buy. I appreciate all answers and your help. Thank you .
Old 01-27-2003, 02:04 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Italian engine= good..

Novarossi is like the ferrari of Gas engines.. the good ones make insane HP..
Go for it!
BUT!!!!!!
Unlike gas engines these tend to break easily if you mistreat them..
Watch out for lean run engiens which will die easy and cost a fortune to fix! Dont think your saving money and get a used rossi over a new competitor!

My 2 cents
-ram
Old 01-27-2003, 02:26 AM
AR196

Born2Fly, it's torque, not hp that's going to move your plane.

HP = torque x rpm. Spin faster with sme torque, HP quoted is higher. But that's with a dinky prop that won't do much for you.

Many years ago had a Nova Rossi Super Turbo .21 for an RC car. Also had a Thunder Tigre and an OS of same size for that car.

The TT moved it. The OS made it howl. The Nova Rossi tore it apart. The difference was unbelievable. No only was it faster, the acceleration and throttle response were FAR superior. That thing went up and down the rev band like a yo-yo. The others were still thinking about responding to throttle while the Nova Rossi had already driven the car to the end of the track and slowed down and was starting back up. Lightning fast in comparison to the other two.

It also cost about 3x the price of the OS and 4x the price of the TT. And it was worth every cent. Even though I no longer have an RC car, I still kept the engine.

When you look inside the Nova Rossi, you'll see all sorts of neat things not in the others. The shape of the gas passage through the crankshaft is altogether different. The con rod is stronger material. And it's a different shape. All this helps to make the difference.

Oh, and by the way, the Nova Rossi really sounds great too when it's wailing at max rpm.

Enjoy it!!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:34 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

hehe so it IS the ferrari of engines
Any reccomendations for a buggy?
I was thinkin about the Black magic.. is there anything you'd highly reccomend to be mated with a buggY? (Mugen MBX Works)
Thanks man!
-ram
Old 01-27-2003, 03:08 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been looking at the new Rossi .21 too...for a speed project that is, I know that small prop doing over 30K rpm will not move anything else properly then a very small sleek airplane.

I sure like the looks of them engines too, with the blue anodised head and stuff: a jewel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50557_21260.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	31291  
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Born2Fly

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all you answers, they are all very helphul and I really appreciate them. One thing the engine I was talking about cost $79.50 and I will attach the picture. Rudeboy was taking about engine wich cost $350 I belive it should be great.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:00 PM
AR196

Hey, guys. Don't get confused here. A Rossi and a Nova Rossi are not the same engine. Made by different companies.

First there was just Rossi, run by two brothers. They had a parting of the ways. The older brother, Cesare, started Nova Rossi. The younger chap runs Rossi.

In many cases the engines look similar. They are, however, different.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:35 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Ahh!
so they ARE different??
Which one is "better"? I was told that they are all teh same but I didnt believe that..
enlighten us please!
-ram
Old 01-27-2003, 04:53 PM
AR196

Yeh, they are different.

At the time I got mine, I checked every bit of info I could get on each.

It was a personal preference, really. I decided that in my case "better" was closer matched by the Nova Rossi.

One of the major factors at that time is that it was a newer design. So it had some advances that were not part of the older Rossi model.

That's not to say that there was anything wrong with the older model. But I did like the fact that the newer one did have such a fine internal finish and almost friction free bearings on the crank Oh so smooooooth!

It also had all that other good stuff like super strong connecting rod, bushed at both ends, with generous lubrication capacity - especially important at the piston pin end where it gets really hot.

And after all that, when I got a Byron F-18, the engine for it was a Rossi. THere was no Nova Rossi of the proper size.

It's probably similar to buying an Enya or an OS.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:02 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I'm debating between the new "Black Maic" and the NovaRossi motors..
whats novarossi's top engine?
"Nova" series?
"Rex" series?
"Top" series?

I've noticed that when it comes to websites..not many of these Companie's websites are as good as their products! lol

-ram
Old 01-27-2003, 05:04 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Hmm check this out:

Classifica finale:1 Daniel Reckward(D) MP 7.5/RB WS7
2 Guillaume Vray(F) MP 7.5/RB WS7
3 Philippe Lachat(F) Storm/RB WS7
4 Miguel Matias(P) MP 7.5/RB WS7
5 David Crompton(GB) Crono/RB WS7
6 M. Sönke(D) MBX4/CMB
7 M. Bianchi(I) MBX4/Bianchi
8 J. Couchon(F) EB4/Omega
9 D. Vega(SP) MBX4/Nova
10 Y. Aigoin(F) EB4/Omega

Looks like the RB WS7 might be a better choice! lol
-ram
Old 06-18-2003, 05:48 AM
vrc

If you are a true modeler, for Novarossi you should probably ask yourself a moral question about the following Novarossi warning on their website to decide:
"Dear Customers, we inform you that Novarossi highly forbid to anybody, any kind of modifications to their engines
and/or to any engine's part. Since now Novarossi will take proper actions against any breaker in any country and in the more convenient ways."

Now besides the hideous grammar in the translation (which isn't any excuse since Americans have been buying their products since I was in R/C Gas cars in the early 80s),
I'm not really sure what world these people think they live in restricting YOU from modifying or probably even working on YOUR engine YOU paid for. Maybe Italy or the E.U. (pronounced P.U.) has dictatorial laws that prohibit YOU from working on YOUR car to. It's certainly contrary to what this country stands for, and as I told them in my recent email, I wouldn't give them a red cent if that's their attitude over a measily model airplane engine!

*waiting for K&B to reform*
Old 06-18-2003, 06:26 AM
bobi

btw , who is offering the Novarossi engines at good prices??
Old 06-18-2003, 06:29 AM
Born2Fly

Vrc,

You got the point...thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Born2Fly

Bobi,

Check this out http://www.planethobby.com/cgi-bin/main.py
Old 06-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Rudeboy

Actually VRC...

In our country it is not allowed to work on your car... not on the mechanics of it anyway...
Your insurance company will back out if you have an accident with a seriously modified car (I'm talking about tuned engines and stuff like that).
If you arrive at the obligated annual inspection with a modified car, you will get a definite "no go"...

And you are right, the english used on their web site is awful... I sent them an e-mail a few months back, in which I offered to correct it (for free, no charge) but I still didn't get a reply...
I also sent a mail asking them who distributes their airplane engines in my country, but... no reply. They should get a new sales rep...

Now about them taking action against you when you modify their/your engines... I don't see that happening... Any judge will laugh at that, AND he will convict Nova Rossi to paying a fine, because they wasted his time...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Cdallas2

Ah have you guys ever worked on your car before and then try and get any warranty work done. I don't think so.

I think what they are getting at is that if you open this sucker up your warranty is null and void. Same thing for your car, furnace or even your computer.

You know how shop rates work:

$45 per hour
$65 per hour if you watch
$85 per hour if you tried to fix it first
Old 06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Rudeboy

If it ain't broken... fix it 'til it is...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:23 AM
ChuckN

Originally posted by Cdallas2
I think what they are getting at is that if you open this sucker up your warranty is null and void. Same thing for your car, furnace or even your computer.
I'm not so sure:

[I]"Dear Customers,
we inform you that Novarossi highly forbid to anybody, any kind of modifications to their engines and/or to any engine's part. Since now Novarossi will take proper actions against any breaker in any country and in the more convenient ways."[I]

Sounds like something new that the Italian government caused manufacturers such as NovaRossi to do. The government in Italy has done some strange things like put a tax on R/C transmitters. My only guess is that NovaRossi, for liability reasons, cannot allow anyone to modify their engines. In R/C car racing this is a big deal as there are folks out there (like Ron Paris) that make a good buck modifying engines. Or maybe NovaRossi is just tired of all they're winning engines being modified by someone else first and they're stealing some of the factory's thunder.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Cdallas2

Originally posted by ChuckN
Or maybe NovaRossi is just tired of all they're winning engines being modified by someone else first and they're stealing some of the factory's thunder.
I think we're both right. Just imagine for a moment that you produce a winning engine. Do you really want the competition to open it up and find out all your dirty secrets as to why it's a winner.

Sounds more like they're protecting themselves against liability and the competion and I don't blame 'em one bit.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:05 PM
sheepy

I got one of the $80 novarossi .21's a few months ago, and it is a good engine, but the rpm/power claims appear to be exagerated. The engine appears to be of very robust construction. The carb is excellent. The muffler that ships with it is not tapped for pressure even though the manual says to hook up the pressure line. The attachment for the muffler is a joke too. Its a short manifold that you put a 1" piece of rubber tubing on, and then slide the muffler into the tubing. The longest it stayed on was about a minute. I was able to fix it using a radiator hose clamp. Now it is fine. With a MA 9x4 15%nitro, 16% oil, the best static rpm was 17900(with no muffler). With MA 8x4, 30% nitro, 12%oil, 21500rpm without muffler, 20000 with muffler. I have flown 10 rounds of combat with it, and it has never failed me. It idles and transitions good. It ships with a nice spinner nut, and a glow plug. The manual recommends 8-10% oil, and 16-25%nitro. I will probably get a few more if it continues to be as reliable as it has been so far.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Rudeboy

20K on an 8x4 sounds about right to me...

Put a pipe on it and a 7x5 or 7x6 slim blade... it'll rev...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
obolel

Default A place to get Nova Rossi

By the way, I am trying to access Planet hobby for Nova Rossi engines, but the site is unreachable. Does anyone have an idea where to get these engines other than Planet Hobby ?

Seems like Morris hobbies are still selling the Rossi brand engines.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:51 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know anthing about the novarossi but tried to do the bosa nova once
Old 08-29-2003, 03:03 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Well as good as I know rossi's are, my new one came missing a head bolt. They do scream though.