Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

PowerMaster glow fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: PowerMaster glow fuel

Actually, the Chinese nitro has been the norm for at least 15 years.

The NJ company that was the last to make nitro in the USA had been importing it from China for many years before the cat got out of the bag.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
w8ye

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-federa...t/1097088.html
Old 02-05-2012, 06:37 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r
ORIGINAL: earlwb

Actually most all of the Nitromethane does all come from China. The last chemical plant that made it in the USA quit doing it. India has some nitromethane manufacturing but I don't know how much of it is exported if at all.
There may be a chemical plant that makes some limited quantities of laboratory grade nitromethane left in the USA, but I don't know if even they do it anymore. The Chinese nitromethane requires more purification steps if you are using it in a lab or something. The Austrailan folks were reporting more nitric acid residue as a contaminant in the nitromethane they were getting a couple of years ago. So I assume it is a common impurity in the stuff.
But depending on your use the impurities may or may not be important.

I got to thinking that maybe the fuel cans wound up mislabeled or having the wrong fuel put in them. Many of the glow engines sold in the USA have lower compression ratios so they can run higher nitro percentage fuels. If you were to run FAI no nitro glow fuel in them, they tend to run like crap, and won't idle well, etc.

An evil thought was that someone relabled the fuel cans in a attempt to get rid of some old fuel sitting on the shelf at the store. FAI fuel isn't all that popular anymore and depending on the locale neither is 5% nitro glow fuel either.
A number of years ago I used to use a popular brand of R/C car fuel that was made for this "popular" company by Morgan Fuels. Supposedly it was a castor/synthetic blend, but the oil content is ultra hush-hush by the "popular" r/c car company. After running this fuel for 5-6 years and having a lot of problems with my engines, I almost quit the hobby. Needling a car engine is trickier than airplane engines, add in crappy fuel and its even harder. For a new guy in the hobby, good fuel is a must. I switched brands, used 3 different brands over the next 8 years and had a huge turnaround with how the engines ran and needled. This "popular" company's fuel burned dirty. With the engine broke in and tuned for power, the piston would come out black, and the bottom of the glow plug casing (not the element itself) was black. Run 2 tanks of brand "B" fuel and the black went away and a nice gold color came about. The rumor was cheap chinese nitromethane was being used in Brand "A" fuel and caused headaches for everyone that used it. I'm no chemist so I do not know if the nitro was to blame, or the oil package. I just know it ran like poo.

Around here, only one of my 3 LHS's carry 5% nitro glow fuel, SIG Champion. They only carry it in quarts too. Most all other fuels the other stores carry is Byrons, Omega, and Cruel Power. One carries Wildcat, but I never had good luck with that stuff either so I wont use it. My homemade stuff stacks up as well as or better than SIG. I haven't tried SIG car fuel yet, but the LHS doesnt carry SIG's car fuel.
Yeah the RC car fuels tend to run as little as 8% oil content in the fuel. But it depends on the brand of course. Oil percentage tends to have an effect of that for every 1% less oil, the fuel acts like it has 1% more nitromethane in it. I was thinking that one could put a small quantity in the freezer and chill it down good and then carefully note where the oil level is, as the oil will settle out at lower temperatures. But I forget at the moment how cold one has to go with the glow fuel though. Anyway my experiences was if you had more oil content in the fuel, it tended to cause a increase in the black carbon residue one gets inside the engine.Castor oil tends to contribute to that more than synthetic oils do too.

The Austrailians and their experiences with cheap nitromethane was an inexplicable sudden rise of corrosion in their engines, causing things like early failure of ball bearings, rusted gears and so on. When they did some tests there were finding higher levels of nitric acid impurities in the nitromethane they were getting. When you burn the glow fuel in a engine the nitromethane does produce some nitric acid as a side effect of combustion. But having extra nitric acid to start with wouldn't be good either. They had posted some articles in some club newsletters, but I don't know if those are still online or not. But that does seem to help explain why over the last number of years we have had a larger number of engines with corrosion issues and early bearing failures.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another case of us "Shooting ourselves in the foot"

what was the fuel industry to do for Nitro when Angus halted production?........................sorry modelers, racers and yada yada...........you'll have to stop enjoying your sport until we get our act together!
this reminds me of when Harley Davidson cried and cried til they got a tax tariff imposed on Japanese bike builders for anything over 700cc's.

in regards to PM and bad fuel, it's simply a call to Tommy at Allied to let him know the problem.........you guys complaining are doing this right?..................
he'll make it right.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 AM
earlwb

Actually our use of nitromethane with model airplanes is not even a blip on what industry uses it for. So it would impact the industry a lot more. They really do not care about us hobbyists and our fuel needs. But the factories have to keep running though.

The principal use of nitromethane is as a stabilizer for chlorinated solvents, which are used in dry cleaning, semiconductor processing, and degreasing. It is also used most effectively as a solvent or dissolving agent for acrylate monomers, such as cyanoacrylates (more commonly known as "super-glue").
ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

I think most if not all of the semiconductor processing is overseas now. Dry cleaning solvents has been on the decline too. Superglue I am not sure on though. But in any case the need or demand for nitromethane has likely been declining over the years. So we may wind up with using FAI fuel in the future.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
summerwind

all so true Earl,

this topic however is pointing a finger at Powermaster, and my question to "Oldbob" who started it is what's being done to let Allied know about it?
he's been on here reading since the last 3 posts have been posted, but doesn't answer..............so is this thread just a slam on Powermaster, or a concern to let others know what to look for in batch numbers and let's help Allied resolve the issue.
properly tuned and running engines in RC planes are essential to not only having a succesful flight, but to operate properly for safety purposes too............an RC model can be quite a handful and downright dangerous if the engine goes out of tune, dies, stutters or whatever just after a takeoff.................i've seen many flyers get into trouble because of a stutter or flameout right after takeoff which ended in a pit disaster.

so the right thing to do here is let Allied know and get the isse resolved.................
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summerwind,

I agree. I mentioned in post #10 that we had one local flyer that had an issue with the newest batch of Powermaster 15% late last summer. The hobby shop owner gave the returned gallon of fuel to me and I had no problems. It makes me wonder if it is an operational problem. It is hard to say since I am not a witness to the reported problem.

However, either the local hobby shop owner or I will contact Allied Monday to inform them of this thread and to find out if they have had any recent batch issues. I will report back if I find out anything.

Danny Jackson
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Oldbob

OK all; first off this is not a slam against PowerMaster. I want PM to be successful in their glow fuel business. But most of all I expect of get good quality glow fuel from each and every can; not from some of the cans, or from most of the cans, but from all of the cans. I still have some PM fuel that is working fine.

The first time that this problem occurred was 3 or 4 months ago when a club member opened a new can of PM 10%. After spending 20 minutes trying to set the needle he asked me for some help. I also could not get a proper needle setting and the engine would stop running seconds after the glow heat was removed. Yes we replaced the glow plug (twice). When we put different fuel in the plane the engine ran fine. The very next day a fellow showed up at our field with a plane and a new can of PM 10% fuel that he purchased at the same LHS as the first fellow. This new guy asked for some help from of our club members in setting up his engine and plane. Without getting into all the details’ the engine would not run and we finally realized the two cans of new fuel had the same batch number. Only after replacing the fuel did the engine run as it should. The first club member contacted PowerMaster and they said bring the bad fuel back to them and they will replace it. He said it’s unrealistic to expect a customer to drive 200 miles round trip to replace a $17.00 can of fuel, so the matter was dropped. The second fellow still has the can of bad fuel but has not contacted PM as far as I know.

The third can of fuel showed up at our field on last week. This was from a different fellow and the fuel was purchased at a different hoppy shop about 30 miles from the first hobby shop. This bad fuel acted the same way as the first two cans. So at my suggestion the suspected fuel was removed from the plane and a different fuel put in. With the different fuel everything ran fine and the plane flew four times without incident. It was after this third incident that I decided to post here.
This third can of fuel I have in my possession and I have been trying to test it the best that I know how.

I have put one once in a plastic mixing cup to let all the methanol and nitro evaporate. Only the oil will remain and this way I will know what the oil content is. This takes 3 or 4 days for the evaporation.

I have put some (10 drops or so) in a glass dish and burned it to see the color of the flame as compare to fuel that I know to be good. I could see no difference.

I have 100% methanol as well as denatured alcohol, which is 95% ethanol and 5% methanol. I have put 10 drops of each in my glass dish and burned them. I could see no difference in the color of the flame. They look very similar to the good and bad glow fuel that I burned.

So, at this point, this is what I think I know. When let by a match, methanol and ethanol burn at about the same rate and with the same color flame. When let be a glow Plug, only methanol will create the catalytic reaction needed to keep the glow plug hot and the engine running.

I will contact PM tomorrow and post here.

Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually most all of the Nitromethane does all come from China. The last chemical plant that made it in the USA quit doing it. India has some nitromethane manufacturing but I don't know how much of it is exported if at all.
Angus still makes nitromethane in the USA and they will sell to hobby fuel manufactures, or to us if mixed with 50% methanol. Don't know if manufactures are using Angus or China, but since Angus will not sell fuel for drag racing Isuspect PM only uses Chinese nitro.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: summerwind

another case of us "Shooting ourselves in the foot"

what was the fuel industry to do for Nitro when Angus halted production?........................sorry modelers, racers and yada yada...........you'll have to stop enjoying your sport until we get our act together!
this reminds me of when Harley Davidson cried and cried til they got a tax tariff imposed on Japanese bike builders for anything over 700cc's.

in regards to PM and bad fuel, it's simply a call to Tommy at Allied to let him know the problem.........you guys complaining are doing this right?..................
he'll make it right.

This says the plant was shut down for ten months, Angus imported nitro during that time, then dumped that when their plant reopened at prices lower than other importers. NHRA was buying nitro from Angus just a few years ago, Angus stopped selling to them because many racers were not handling their product as safely as they thought they should, and it was a very minor part of their business.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

another case of us ''Shooting ourselves in the foot''

he'll make it right.
Agreed 100% Summerwind. That tariff totally ruined a good, healthy motorcycle culture in this country.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
w8ye

I don't think that Angus ever did actually reopen their plant? If you search enough in the AHRA , NHRA , and other posts, this information will come out?

Why would Angus make Nitro when they could import it from China cheaper than they could make it themselves?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
blw

The NHRA fine for using non approved nitromethane is $100,000. There was a clamp down on nitro sources a few years ago, and I think it later became a sole American source....or else!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why would Angus make Nitro when they could import it from China cheaper than they could make it themselves?
The court document says they reopened it. Normally I might agree that an article could be wrong or lying, but these people could be tried for perjury when they say it was only closed for ten months and it is still closed.

Angus claims that their nitro is the only one pure enough for some applications, that would be a good reason to keep the plant open and to charge more.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Oldbob

Well! if there is any other way of saying that I feel stupid, I can’t think of it. The fuel I thought to be bad turns out to be good. I decided to run the fuel in one of my engines on a test stand. Frist I used my old fuel that I know to be good and set the high and low needles. Then I chanced to the fuel thought to be not good. To my amazement the engine ran exactly the same.

I did call Tommy twice today, first to tell him that I had bad fuel, then again a little while ago to apologize for my wrong assumption.

I apologize for misleading anyone to think that PowerMaster was putting out bad fuel

If the moderator would like to delete this thread, it is OK with me.
Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM
w8ye

All racing nitro comes from Chinese chemical plants. Dow still makes it but they refuse to sell it to racers, quoting security difficulties at racetracks. VP Racing Fuels sells much of the racing nitro in the US, and they get it wherever they can.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
blw

I just ran across this: http://www.dragracingonline.com/anal...5-nitro-1.html

I know you keep up with drag racing, Sport Pilot. I've been expecting you to remember the story and straighten us out.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: Oldbob

Well! if there is any other way of saying that I feel stupid, I can’t think of it. The fuel I thought to be bad turns out to be good. I decided to run the fuel in one of my engines on a test stand. Frist I used my old fuel that I know to be good and set the high and low needles. Then I chanced to the fuel thought to be not good. To my amazement the engine ran exactly the same.

I did call Tommy twice today, first to tell him that I had bad fuel, then again a little while ago to apologize for my wrong assumption.

I apologize for misleading anyone to think that PowerMaster was putting out bad fuel

If the moderator would like to delete this thread, it is OK with me.
Bob
I think it would be wise to delete the thread. It just leaves the wrong impression on people.