Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Bent Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Crankshaft

bought a west 50 engine from a rcuniverse seller back in late november, supposedly new in box, but he neglected to disclose that the engine had a small chunk out of the casting for the muffler thru bolts, i thought i can live with that, went to set up the plane and was setting the spinner to cowl gap and thats when i noticed the crank was bent, does anyone do crankshaft straightening? i might have to do that to the engine if the seller doesn't refund me for the egine, i can't even get a replacement crank from west because the engine was an older version
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Bent Crankshaft

avidflyguy
You should check with Flyboy Dave
Here is a thread he started
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#6948801

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

Most bent crankshafts from a crash can be straightened, at least that is my experience.
I get a kick out of repairing things, rather than just replacing them, or buying new parts.

I learned how to true and straighten cranks from the Pro's back in the 70's....I'm very
good at it.....I've been doing it for 35 years, professionally. Send me your bent crank,
and I will straighten it for free.....no problem.

Flyboy Dave.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds clear the engine was in a crash that did some damage. Just suggesting that you pursue that guy for a refund before sending the crank off.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is some risk with straightening a crankshaft. Sometimes the bent end snaps off on you.
It depends on how much hardening they did on the crank.
But yes they can usually be straightened again. You can check with Flyboy Dave and see if he still does them or not.

I always hate it when I see someone sell a used engine as new simply because it came with a box. There have been some rather egregious examples over the years too. I remember one guy saying a engine was new, when the engine was crusted over with old castor oil residue and varnish and the muffler was almost black from oil being burned onto it. But it did have a box with it though.

Of course I just remembered one fellow who really had a new engine to sell. Except he had taken it out of the box and somehow dropped it hard into the concrete floor and cracked off part of the the crankcase at the front bearing, broke off the muffler mount, damaged the head, bent the crankshaft end and even broke off part of the carb too.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I have acquired 3 engines and various parts for others through RCU exclusively. (gotten screwed on the bay more than once) I got my engines from guys I've seen post in the forums and I've gotten what I expected. I think the younger guys tend to be unrealistic and greedy and are willing to fib a little to make a sale. Now I am not saying all younger guys are dishonest or greedy, but I can tell from some sales I've tried making that didn't go through because they thought they had a gold mine in a box or the item wasn't as described and the seller back pedaled. (most recent was a Como .51 ring)

It's hard to judge a user by a profile or mere correspondence. I try to do a little homework on a seller I havent seen post in the forums before bidding on something.

Hope the seller does what's right. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
avidflyguy

i've had really good luck with nearly all but 2 of my more recent purchases on rc universe, i'm hoping the seller will do the right thing and refund the money, funny thing is he has a decent rating /feedback so i figured he is an ok guy to deal with. i usually buy the occasional motor off ebay but only from sellers who have 100% feedback rating
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I have an engine just like that, Earl. I was holding a NIB .46 when I dropped on linoleum. It broke a fin off of the cylinder head. I'm now trying to selling it.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best experience I had when buying a used engine was from a guy in the canadian rcforum. Because of the very high expense of wiring money from Norway I just put the correct amount of $ in a bubble envelope and sent it to him, a few weeks later the YS 63 arrived in the exact condition he said it would be[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Chuebner is his "name" great guy
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Lone Star Charles

Sounds like you should have asked what "NIB" stands for.  In this case perhaps it was "Now In Box". 

Good luck on either getting your money back or straightening the crank.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a bent one took to a machinist put a dial indicator on it and a few very light taps and it was right on no charge great guy dial indiator and 2 v blocks tap tap done good luk
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
avidflyguy

The motor is junk now, i went to disassemble the motor and send the crank to a guy here on rc universe who offered to straighten the crank, upon disassembly i noticed the piston had a piece missing off the piston skirt, the missing piece was nowhere inside the motor. i can't get a crank or piston/sleeve assy for this version of the west engine any longer. i was finally able to contact the seller, he explained that he was selling/listing a few rc items for a elderly gentleman getting out of the hobby and he listed the engine with the description and pics the guy gave him. unfortunately i got a bum motor and the seller/lister was in the middle between me and the owner of the motor. we are in process of settling up by the guy sending me another different motor( NIB nelson .40) to make up for the bum one (weston uk 50 v1) the seller george dobilas (geodobilas)is a stand up guy for taking care of the problem when it wasn't his fault