Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

NEW O.S. limited edition 62-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW O.S. limited edition 62-V

This is awesome!

Golden Age Appearance — Modern-day Power!

The FS-62V Engine is the second in the O.S. "V" series of 4-strokes — an engine that blends cutting-edge performance with the looks of a '30s-era power plant. And with the nostalgic looks, the FS-62V also includes a Jet Stream muffler to complement true-scale appearance with an authentically deep, rich exhaust sound.

Recreates the look of a full-size radial engine with an angled valve layout and individual valve covers
Machined aluminum pushrod guides
The centerline-mounted carb is also reversible, maximizing installation options and adjustment ease
Mounts in the same bolt pattern as the O.S. FS-52 and 56FS-a, for easy, no-mod replacement

Photos courtesy of SHS:

-

-

-

-

-
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: NEW O.S. limited edition 62-V

Sweet! I have the 95v and it is outstanding!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good thing is they put the breather nipple back on . Thats the main reason I havent bought any of the alphas . Cheers the pope
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, let me bluntly state that I am a fan of O.S. Engines. I'm still undecided as to the change in direction that the OS company has taken since the death of its founder, Mr. Ogawa, some time back. I cannot say that it has been entirely good, nor bad. Just different.

Some folks say that Saito now outsells OS in the US. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised. I know that OS Engine prices are higher than what I think they should be and I hear of more dissatisfaction with warranty claims - but, this is heresay. My last OS four-stroke engine purchases were a couple of .30 and .40 four-strokes. Neither is of the latest design, nor were the prices as high as the most lately designed four-stroke OS engines.

It is difficult to increase power past a certain point without going to a hemispherically shaped combustion chamber. Spreading the valves apart and angling them appropriately is an easy design change that has many advantages. However, the old close together valve stems that permitted the inclusion of a single valve cover for both valves is pretty much impractical and not aesthetically pleasing. Saito has been using the hemi-head with two valve covers for quite a long time. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Yes, I know about the OS FS-1.20 engine that used two valve covers in the early eighties. It was my first personally owned four-stroke engine in the modelling realm.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 AM
mike109

G'day

I have been interested in the 62 V engine for some time but have held off buying one.

My first four strokes were OS. First was a 26 then a 48 Surpass. They were good engines. But then I bought a Saito 45GK second hand and was really impressed with it. So for quite a while I mostly bought Saitos.

Then I bought an Alpha 81. It runs quite well but it is not noticeably better than my Saito 82 and it cost a lot more even with a huge discount. The lack of a breather worries me too. I have not run it for several months and hope things have not gunked up or rusted.

More recently I discovered Enya and Laser four strokes. I like the power of my Enya 53 and my Laser 70, 100 and 150 are amazing engines. I still use mostly Saitos though.

But I suspect I am going to buy a 62V eventually. I just want to see how they go compared to my three Saito 62s. I also have a plane set up for an ASP 61 (OS Clone). The ASP has leaky valves and I have not been able to get the valves to seal. I could buy a new head or even a new ASP from HK pretty cheaply but I think I will go for the 62V as it will fit straight in the model.

Thanks for the pictures.

Mike in Oz
Old 02-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i had the money too Mike!

It's a nice design if you ask me.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 AM
mike109

G'day Kostas, yes it is pretty. Just like a Saito

Here in Oz, a Saito FA-62 is about $269 and the OS 62V is also $269. The OS 56 Alpha is a ridiculous $315 or even worse. Possibly this is because the casting for the Alpha is more complex because of the internal plumbing for the vent system. As a result, the two 62 engines are both more attractive than the OS 56. A Saito FA-56 is about $10 cheaper.

These days I have not been buying any engines. I am now retired and the funds are not as free flowing as they once were but I do have a little saved up and I just like to try new engines so I can see myself buying one eventually. Perhaps even as early as tomorrow We shall see.

Completely off topic. Tomorrow I start building a Sig Four Star 120 for a friend. He is going to put an ASP 180 four stroke in it. I have one too. Mine has a Saito 150 which hauls it really well.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
One look at the crankcases and cam housings will tell you that this is no imitation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82861.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1732816  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will never be a copy unless OS goes to a one piece head/cylinder assembly and even then that is just a copy of Offenhausers from waaaayyy back. Canted valves vs. wedge heads is a battle that has gone on for many decades now.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Daytona955i

hi,
have this engine the hole that drawn oil in to the combustion chamber like alpha serie ?!

c1a0
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Ernie Misner

Since it has the breather nipple (for removing excess oil while running and for adding ARO) it probably does not have or need the tiny orfice near the intake valve for recirculating the excess oil. This may be a little more messy since oil will be coming out of the breather line and the muffler while running, but much better because you can inject ARO in that breater tube at the end of the day which is a great idea.

Ernie Misner
Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Daytona955i

hi Ernie Misner

what is ARO ?!

c1a0
Marco
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

ARO - acronym for "After Run Oil".
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 AM
mustangherb
My Feedback: (6)

Would the 62 V be adequate for the goldberg Tiger 60 size?

Last edited by mustangherb; 10-27-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:22 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangherb
would the 62 v be adequate for the goldberg tiger 60 size?
it sure should be
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by captinjohn
it sure should be
depends if you want it to leave the ground . Cheers the pope
Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 AM
mustangherb
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by the pope
depends if you want it to leave the ground . Cheers the pope
After doing further research I realize the plane would get off the ground, but would probably only be able to cut holes in the sky. I will probably end up selling this engine for a larger four stroke.