Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Installed an MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, glow plug not getting hot?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Installed an MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, glow plug not getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed an MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, glow plug not getting hot?

Hello out there!
I have just installed an new MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, everything seems to work find. Battery is fully charged, I programed the MPI unit as per instructions. The LED light comes on at 1/4 throttle & the LED light goes out over 1/4 throttle. My problem is the glow plug doesn't get hot or turning red. I'm thinking the glow should get red hot like if you had an 1.2 battery wired directly to the glow plug. Can anyone give me some input on my problem. Any idea's would be greatly apprecated!

Gerry

Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installed an MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, glow plug not getting hot?

Is your cable thick enough to carry all the current or a dry solderjoint?????
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installed an MPI MX-9900 Super Glow Driver, glow plug not getting hot?

I think the ones that use the reciever battery pack can be set up to use a smaller current to save on batteries.  You may need it to be red hot to start, but I doubt you need it that hot to improve the idle.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
wetbird

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I think the ones that use the reciever battery pack can be set up to use a smaller current to save on batteries. You may need it to be red hot to start, but I doubt you need it that hot to improve the idle.

I'm using the battery that came with the MPI MX 9900 ( 1.2 V) and all the wires included. I am going to recheck my solders to make sure of a good connection, I think they're going to be good! It seems there's no current coming from the unit (heavy red wire) that is connected to the glow plug. I would think when I'm below a quarder throttle, the MX-9900 would turn on the battery power to the glow plug (1.2 v) making it glow red and would be able to start the engine as well. I'm running an YS-91 AC, it'll idle at 2000 rpm very well as long as the glow driver (external type) is connected. When I disconnect the driver, the engine will idle for a few minutes but then dies out! So I would like a working on board glow driver. This one turned out to be more complicated then I thought..lol..I'm not all that shape when it comes to electical systems like this. The wire coming from the + post on the battery, connecting to the toggle switch, then from the toggle switch connects to the engine block, I guess you call that possitive ground. But that's the way it has to work, I don't fully understand it.

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71613.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1735702  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

how do you have the wire connected to the metal case of the engine?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
wetbird

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

how do you have the wire connected to the metal case of the engine?
fizzwater
The wire is under the motor mount bolt. But just to let everyone know, the problem was a bad toggle switch. If you look at the diagram, the toggle switch has three post, the two outside post are (on) and the center is (off). The switch that came with the unit only would go "on & off or so I thought! But there was a defect in the switch to where the switch wasn't making contact to the (on) post in the switch. So I ran to Radio Shack, bought a new switch and now I have a red hot glow plug. I'm a happy camper now..after working on this thing for a couple of days, I'm ready to fly!I'm hoping it'll be hot enough to start my engine without running an dummy glow plug to us a external glow driver. So thank you guys for your input & help!

Gerry

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Glad you got it squared away!