Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MAGNUM 46 XLS PROP SIZING

HI GUYS (AND GALS),

I'M NEW TO THE RCAIRPLANE HOBBY AND HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A BIG STIK 40 TO USE LATER ON AS A SECOND OR THIRD PLANE. I'VE PUT IN PLENTY OF STICK TIME ON THE CLUB TRAINER AS-WELL-AS A FLIGHT SIMULATOR; HOWEVER, THESE HAVE NOT GIVEN ME THE KNOWLEDGE NEEDED FOR THIS SIMPLE TASK.

TO GO WITH THE NEW PLANE I WAS GENEROUSLY GIVEN A NIB MAGNUM .46 XLS. NOW THE BOX ALSO CONTAINED INSTRUCTIONS FOR BREAKING IN THE ENGINE HOWEVER IT DID NOT RECOMMEND A PROP TO FOLLOW UP WITH FOR NORMAL FLIGHT. NOW I KNOW THAT EVERY ENGINE IS DIFFERNT AND EVERY ENGINE WILL RESPOND DIFFERENTLY TO EVERY PROP VARIATION. I WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT SIZE PROP WOULD BE BEST TO USE WITH THIS ENGINE ON THIS PLANE (BIG STIK 40). ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MAGNUM 46 XLS PROP SIZING

That engine is a copy of the OS 46fx series engine now discontinued but I've had both at the same time, There are parts that can be swapped between the two too like the Magnum piston and liner will fit into the OS 46fx as drop in replacements for far less money than OS charges. Both are good engines but the magnum had some issues with the carbs a while back and made them a little tough to tune but it was a luck of the draw if you had a good one or bad one, Most were good. But for your question a 11x6 is a good all round prop for that engine and runs well with them. For a tough prop that can take a beating Master airscrew is a good prop but not as efficient as others but can take a bad landing better than most and I use mostly APC props on that size engines with good results.

Dauntae
    I laugh in the face of danger... Then I hide until it goes away

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ran 12x4 or 12x5's APC's on my sport planes with the Mag. .46 engine. I went with the lower pitch / larger diameter because I like to fly slower and in close. Also it gives you great torque for strong vertical lines and some hovering..... so I thought it was a little more fun that way but the 11x6 is great but will liand a little hotter also.

Have fun and keep us posted. If you run fuel with a little castor that .46 will last forever. Just be sure to run the fuel dry from inside the engine and add a little after run oil if you want to..... it can't hurt and seems to protect the bearings until the next time out.

Ernie Misner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS TO BOTH DAUNTAE AND ERNIE, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFO. I WILL BE USING WILDCAT PREMIUM EXTRA 15% WITH 80/20 OIL MIX OF CASTOR SYNTHETIC. ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I PURCHASED WAS SOME AFTER-RUN OIL, I TRY TO DO MY HOMEWORK AS MUCH AS I CAN.

ONE QUESTION TO ERNIE ON THE 12X4 AND X5 PROPS DOES THE ENGINE NOT GET LAGGED AND OVERHEAT OR IS IT STRONG ENOUGH TO TURN THOSE PROPS WITH EASE, AGAIN I'M A NEWB BUT THOSE JUST SEEM BIG TO ME. NO OFFENCE INTENDED ERNIE.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

COULD I BALANCE THE SPEED AND TORQ OUT AND USE AN 11X7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I DON'T REALLY WANT TO DO ANY 3D  FLYING WITH THIS PLANE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ENOUGH VERTICAL CAPABILITY TO PULL MYSELF OUT OF A MISTAKE OR TWO. AGAIN THANKS TO ALL FOR ANY HELP I KNOW THIS IS PROBABLY KIDS STUFF TO U GUYS HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE TO ME SOMEDAY TOO. LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 11x7 prop is good for your engine too. You might see a little more 'grunt' and pulling power out of the 11x6. Both would be good choices.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My experience was that although the Mag. is a clone of the 46FX, it had a hair less power. Not enough less to worry about at all and was extremely dependable and always wanted to start right up. I think it would be more willing to pull the 11x6 than an 11x7. Let it wind a little and be happy. That's the way mine ran with the 12x4, loose and happy but gave up a bit of overall speed for better vertical performance which is always fun to me.

This little engine is the best kept secret. Hobby People just had them on sale for $69 but now has gone back up to $74 I think, still a super deal if you want a 2nd one. The older carbs off of an OS SF type series engine are a drop in fit. (a front needle valve carb with straight needle valve) Nothing wrong with the stock carb, they work fine, but the OS carb. has a better build quality and that is what I ran on my Mag. 46.

One thing that helps this engine come alive is if you can get a muffler off of the .52. It has that "extra volume" spacer in the center of the muffler halves. Although designed for the 52, my 46 ran a bit better with that muffler. I don't know if you can buy just that spacer and a longer bolt but the Mag. mufflers are pretty cheap.

Good luck, let us know how she runs,

Ernie Misner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try a 10x6 prop for sport flying. You'll love it and you won't hurt your engine.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

12 x 4 APC toothpick not W or an APC 11 x 5. will do nicely.

IMHO an 11x 7 is too much pitch for peak perfomance on something like a stick.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am using a 11x6 APC on the Magnum .46 XLS mounted on an Escapade. It is a great combination and has been flying for the last 3 years. I tend to use 11x6 on all of my .46 engines with great success.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want stump pulling grunt power, nothing beats the APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

12 x 4 APC toothpick not W or an APC 11 x 5. will do nicely.

IMHO an 11x 7 is too much pitch for peak perfomance on something like a stick.

I once flew my Sterling Lancer, K&B .40 powered, using an 11x7 wood prop. I then whittled it down to 10" of diameter and was quite impressed with the results. It was very quiet and it pulled the model well.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It seems that most agree that the 11x6 or the 12x4 (12.25x3.75 also) are the best choices for this setup. If every one thinks the engine will perform better who am I to question that. I want to thank everyone for their input. I hope to get to the air field this weekend and let one of the more experienced pilots take er up for a flight on the new engine.

one more question, some of the vet's in my club don't even break an engine in on the bench, the just mount it prop it with break in prop and after maybe 5 min on flight table of run time they refuel and fly. Do any of you do this, is this safe or just a preference. Or are they all crazy. I know it voids warranty and all that for engines, but these few guys have been doin this sort of thing collectivly longer than i've been alive. Just a silly question. I am breakin my engine in pre flight on the bench with wildcat 15% premium extra with 18% oil (80/20) turning a 10x6 MA.

Thanks again for all the input and for letting this newb pick your brain.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    Running is is something of the past with modern ABN, AAC and ABC engines!
    Just mount it in the plane with whatever prop you like and set the engine a little rich! Thats it!
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I prefer to run all engines on the bench first, even used ones. Yes, you can fly most of the newer 2 strokes on the first tank of gas, but there still is a break in process going on regardless of claims to the contrary. You can't argue against running it on the bench and getting the needles adjusted, especially the low speed needle. Also, you are letting the moving parts mate together and wear in. You are just about guaranteed of creating minuscule pieces of metal to float around. A tank of fuel is pretty good, but a lot of guys end up running more just for the fun of it and to get to hear/feel their engines smooth out and run better. As for the metal wear, the end of the bench running period is a good place to replace your original "break in" glow plug for a new one to go start flying. I toss my break in plugs in a marked bag and use them over and over for breaking in new engines. I trust them for bench running, but not in the air with a model I care anything for.

I'm sure you mean only 2 stroke engines, Jaka. If you tried to do something foolish like that on my Saito 1.25, you have would torn the airframe apart in just a few minutes.

Best bet is to always follow the minimum requirements in the manual. A little extra breaking in won't hurt if you like bench running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BLW I will have to disagree with you some. Now remember i have been flying since 1979. breaking in engines has gone from just being mounted in the plane and running one tank on the ground then fly, to mounting on an engine test stand to todays thinking of just mounting in the plane again and flying on first tank.

There are three different types of mounting most engines are subjected to:
    1. Typical nylon/composite mount with the engine mounted in the plane
    2. Engine test stand with very solid metal mounts
    3. Typical type engine mount with rubber isolation from the air frame.

Now i think that #1 is the the best for break in as that is what the engine will typically see in its life span so you want to break in the engine as close as you can to how your going to fly it. So with that said I think you should break in your engine on the same fuel and oil content that you will fly with but go down one size in dia. and run the engine at the desired rpm of the prop you would like to run.

Now #2 used to be thought of as the best way to break in a engine many will continue to do this. i dont think this is the best for a R/C plane engine for the fact that hard mounted this way where the engine will not get to move as freely, as if mounted in a plane, will have different harmonics during the break in that it would not have when mounted in the plane. When the engine is mounted in a hard mount such as this the engine will see high rpm numbers than when mounted in a plane. This hard mounting transmits more power from the piston to the prop. in the softer set ups like when mounted on a nylong prop in a play some of the pistons power is put in to the engine frame and engine mount (vibration)

#3 is best suited for for planes where you are trying to get the plane as quite as you can get. A "soft" mounted engine will usally see 200-400 rpm drop over a engine mounted with normal R/C plane mounts.

So with my descrption above pick the one closest to the way your engine will be ran and break in mounted that way. one other thing that will help the engine for break in by flying it is that the engine will more airflow in the air than it will just by running a prop on the ground. this difference in cooling air can effect the engine performance in the air.

now for the OP and what prop is best for the plane and my flying abilitys. i think that a APC 11x5 with that engine and plane will perform the best. it will pull hard for take off and wind up some in flight to get some speed out of the plane (80-85 mph) break in the engine with a 10x6 on the plane for the first flight then put on a 11x5.

Now for those that would still like to break in on the ground in a test stand PSP sells a engine test stand now that is rubber isolated so that it simulates the engine being mounted in the A/C.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

10 x 7 or 11 x 6 has been my choice for sport flying. The 12.25 x 3.75 for hovering/ 3D. I still like bench running for my first 15 minutes. I do controlled heat cycling( 1 minute runs with cool down in between, and load specific prop conditions). I know others have their own system and I respect their right to do so. The trick is to find your own system. Good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow airraptor that was alot of info thank you for taking so much time and effort to explain that. I see now that with all of the opinions out there that it may be best for me to try a few different things and see which i prefer. I noticed that you said i would get about 80-85 mph with an 11x5, i really don't want/need all of that speed i just want to be able to pull out of a mistake or two, in this case would you reccomend anything different maybe more pitch or even a 3d prop for slower more predictability while maintaining power and pull?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, try that 12x4 or 12x5 APC like we talked about. You might like the slower speed and pull out power like I do. Then try the 11 inch sizes and you will know what you like.

You are having fun and that's what it is all about. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Ernie Misner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know about all of those factors, Airraptor. There's a lot of room to agree or disagree. I pretty much run engines hard on the bench.

Even so, I still say that my Saito would have broken most glue joints and ripped out the firewall on the first ttank or two if not on a test stand.

I think you probably are right about the 11x5. The PSP is a nice stand. Mine is maple.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a big fan of Ringed and Lapped Iron/Steel engines and because of this I will always break-in on my custom made test stand. I made one similar to the PSP and a couple others I've seen, but I made mine from Red Oak and Brazilian Walnut and some 3/16" aluminum plate.

I like to get familiar with how an engine likes to run. Its better to learn about those "quirks" in controlled circumstances than in a plane. I think it would be ludicrous to run-in something like a Super Tigre or an Enya in the plane in the air. It only takes one flameout and your plane (and engine) could be history. I'd rather have the satisfaction of knowing my engine has a decent amount of run time on it before putting it into service.

I'm probably paranoid and overboard with my practices, but after dealing with a couple irritable engines... I'd rather be safe than sorry. (many of my engines arent made anymore and parts are somewhat hard to find, so I treasure them all the more)...

Good luck!
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so here is my view of what i've learned from everyone. I'm gonna break the engine in on the plane at home with a 10x6 using 15% wildcat ppextra 18%oil. Like turbo.gst mentioned i'll run at least one tank through with alternated cooling (so as to make needle adjustments) get a feel for the engine and responsiveness. I may after a long cool down prop the plane with a few diff. props and again check responses going with thoe one i feel is best and take all prop options to the field for a vet pilot to maiden for me.

I don't think I said but I'm using an os #6 for this engine at least for the break in and for a few flights to be sure that i'm maintaining heat until i know it won't flame out on a #8 with the rich mix i'm sure i'll be running on for a while.

If anything sounds crazy or stupid or i'm missing anything let me know

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    OS 6 is a hot plug...not suitable when using 15% nitro!
    Enya 3 -4 or OS 8 is much better!
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well my spped was a guess in that i havent flown one of those sticks in a long time. 80-85 once in the air doesnt seem that fast.

I think the APC 12x4 sport prop will pull pretty good but Istill think the 11x5 will be the best choice for you. either way get some of the props suggested here except the 12.25x3.75 prop. that one be give best results for very slow 3d stuff but its slow to spool up and I dont think it will perform that good on your plane.

The Enya #3 and OS #8 are good plugs.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast